Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unsure of diagnosis (Read 2116 times)
donnarenee0529
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Unsure of diagnosis
11/14/11 at 01:50:25

I was recently diagnosed with IA by my allergist. After reading some of the posts, this concerns me, since almost everyone has theirs controlled by medication, and this seems to be my only trigger that we have found. My worst attacks were brought on by Benedryl and Claratin. I currently carry four epi pens, and two letters to the ER for when I have my next attack. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Also, does anyone know of a doctor in the Houston area that I could contact?

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Unsure of diagnosis
Reply #1 - 11/14/11 at 13:20:36

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry you're having health problems.  Hope we can help you sort things out and find a doctor.  Have you looked through the forum site to see if you can find a recommendation?  That might be a first step.  

There is one doc at MD Anderson who treats mast cell disorder patients, but I believe only if they have aggressive disease, which is very, very rare.  However, the allergy, immunology, or hematology departments might have a referral they can give you to someone who is already familiar with mast cell problems and is willing to help.

In order for us to recommend where you should go next, would you mind sharing what testing you've had done and on what basis you've been diagnosed IA?  Other info would also be helpful, such as how long you've been having the attacks and what happens to you when you have them.

I would say that most people new to the forum don't have their symptoms controlled yet.  It can be a longer process than we'd like, as it usually takes some detective work to figure out what helps.

It's possible that your attacks were caused by the antihistamines, but they also might have been caused by an additive or color or binder in the meds.  That doesn't mean to try them again, but to check to see what ingredients, including the inert ones, were in what you took and start a notebook to keep track of the things that give you a problem.  A food and symptom diary can be helpful, too, as it could be a food or food group that is triggering you.  Most of us have many triggers.

I found this name and email address for the Texas support group for mast cell disorder patients:

Debi Loeffler
texassupport@tmsforacure.org

They might be able to recommend a doctor.  

I'll watch for your next post and try to get back to you quickly.  I'm sure others will jump in, too.  If what you have is a mast cell disorder, you will get better!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Unsure of diagnosis
Reply #2 - 11/15/11 at 23:12:27

Hi Donna,

I´m sorry it took me so long to get here.  Welcome to our group!  I hope I can help you!!

I´ve heard of others reacting to either Claratin or Benedryl and it means you could have reacted to the fillers, the dyes or even the medicine itself wasn´t well accepted.   There are others you can and should try.   You can also try finding these meds in a compounded pharmacy where the fillers and other stuff has been removed.   So, although they are a trigger to you, it may not be the medication in and of itself.  

Now, I´m sure you´ve got other triggers but without having had a chance to figure things out, you´re not aware of them yet.    I´m still finding things out and I´ve been going through this for almost 5 years now.   I just found out that Imodium is an opiate and it´s no wonder I reacted to it!  I can´t handle that medicine at all and once I took some paragoric and about sent myself into outer space!   So, even the hidden ingredients to meds can be issues.  

Yet, if you hang around, reading and talking amongst us, telling us of your episodes, many times we can find the trigger for you for we will often have similar triggers amongst us and we can probably pinpoint it for you.  Then, with time, when you get the hang of what can trigger and what can´t you´ll figure things out on your own and get better at it.  

Another thing is diet - some here have real issues with foods and such and although it may not be a drastic reaction you end up having, it could still be provoking issues like flushing, diarrhea or malaise.  By keeping a diary of your foods, this could help you identify a few possible triggers.   Sometimes it takes a few hours for a food to kick in others, you can feel the grumbling and hear the noises rather quickly.  Chocolate milk will make my tummy make impressive noises but I don´t always end up with diarrhea because of it, whereas if I eat spinich my stomach won´t gripe a bit, but instead, within a half hour I´m racing to the bathroom doubled over in pain!   I´ve stopped trying to make sense of it all.

As to doctors, Joan gave an excellent suggestion.   Perhaps one of our other Texans will pop in here.   I believe your best and closest bet is Dr. Philip Miner in Oklahoma.   Unfortunately Donna we usually have to travel to find good doctors.   Dr. Miner is a gastroenterologist and more often than not this is where our mast cell disorder is hidden and it´s good to have an upper and lower GI done looking for focal areas of mast cells.  A diagnosis of IA is really not appropriate without a full investigation ruling everything else out first.   It´s actually the very last option raised on the board, so if you´ve not been purposefully investigated for systemic mastocytosis, then your doctors diagnosis is premature.   You need to be properly investigated and Dr. Miner is a good place to start.  

I hope this helps!!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print