Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Changes in hair (Read 17939 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Changes in hair
Reply #15 - 11/21/11 at 14:56:48

Hate to say it Deb (and I'm right in the ballpark there too), but sometimes this starts with that PM word (perimenapause).  The hard part is that checking one's hormonal levels can be a hit or miss as far as accuracy goes.  That's one for gynecology to decipher!

With hair loss, there are so many things that factor in, that it is, forgive the pun, a real HAIRBALL to figure out!

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - 01/02/12 at 01:09:11

I had the same thing--increased hair loss and decreased thickness. The hair loss definitely turned aroiund after I had been on Ketotifen for several months.  My husband noticed that I was shedding much less (we used to question who shed more, our Lab or me!) and then I realized that yes, I had not had nearly as much hair in the shower drain or on my brush for a while.  

However, I recently switched to Nalcrom/cromolyn as my mast cell stabilizer and I think the shedding has increased again.  I'll continue to track it.

I'm curious to learn what Dr Akin has to say.   Deborah, did you ever have the chance to ask him?

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #17 - 01/02/12 at 07:04:04

I too have been dealing with hair loss. For about 8 years. I've tried just about everything. Not sure if it is related to me hormones or thyroid or what. But I have to tell you when I was dieting that was when it was realing falling out. I was eating around 1600 calories a day which should have been fine but I guess it was not enough. If your diet is limited maybe that could be it. I heard low ferritin
Level stores can cause hair loss or slow hair growth. Mine where
Checked and fine. I believe they need to be around 70 to see hair growth. Are you anemic? Seems like lots of us have the same problem. I totally understand how you feel I have had long blonde waist length hair most of my life and people always commented on how pretty it was. I had to cut, it was not looking to hot anymore.
Melissa

IP Logged

phyre
Tutor

Keep believing it can
get better.
Denver, CO
Reply #18 - 01/02/12 at 15:59:15

Sadly, hairloss is a side effect of cromolyn for women after using it for a while http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/cromolyn+sodium/loss+of+hair

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #19 - 01/02/12 at 16:28:09

My sister who is ?MCAD and on no meds had hair thinning when her symptoms started

I'm starting to notice it too but am also on a lot of meds

oh the joys!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #20 - 01/02/12 at 17:08:28

I have to say , My hair loss  has slowed way down I the past six months. Maybe the meds have helped. All the short broken hairs around my face and the ones down by my neck are growing.
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #21 - 01/02/12 at 17:23:13

When I recently asked Dr. Akin about this problem, he said that some H2 meds can cause this and he has some of his own patients (who take Zantac) who have this problem. I get the feeling that Zantac could be contributing to it, but then again any H2 would have this effect as well. In addition to the Zantac, I also think it is the disease itself AND (in my case) a lack of nutrition due to my inability to eat healthy foods.

Thus far I have started taking a multivitamin that doesn't bother me (One a Day for Women). I also bought some Biotin, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #22 - 01/02/12 at 18:06:40

Interesting Deborah, Thanks!

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #23 - 01/03/12 at 08:17:32

Thanks, Deb!  Good to know.  

I am taking Zantac, but the hair loss began well before I started it.

IP Logged

GodIsLove
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #24 - 01/04/12 at 17:40:59

I had hair loss so bad that I had to have my hair cut short. I take 2 Zantac daily, Dexilant and Nexium for GERD, Zrytec twice daily, Singulair daily. Took the Cromolyn but was very allergic to it. Have noticed since I cut my hair off about 4 months ago that the hair loss is not as bad. I had also had the Nissan Fundolipication done twice, the last on done Feb 2011. I am now having tremendous problems with allergic reactions not to just foods but to things that I am around. I have asthma really bad and take one medication that I have found that I am not allergic too and my rescue inhaler. I am still looking for a doctor close to my home in Georgia to help me. I hope that things get a lot better for you.
Rosemary

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #25 - 01/06/12 at 05:59:05

If you can tolerate it Deb, have you thought about fish oil?  I take one of those Nature Made fish oil each day (1200 mg), and my hair is thick like a Chia Pet's.  The hairdresser hates to highlight me, as she sprains her hand doing all the foils.

Plus, the omega 3 are anti-inflammatory and my cholesterol tests are smashing.

If fish doesn't bother you, that might be something to ask your doc about. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MCAS and POTSMama
Tutor

Busy working Mom of 3
who needs to get well!

Colorado
Reply #26 - 07/09/12 at 17:29:24

Hi Deborah,
Add me to the hair loss group, sadly.  I just came across this thread and I don't know if it's a relief to know there are so many of us, or a worry that it won't be fixable.  Since I had my first anaphylaxis 8-9 months ago and subsequently was diagnosed with MCAS (high N-Methylhistamine, high TNF-a, but normal tryptase), I have slowly but surely watched my hair change in texture and thin.  My hair was previously my crowning glory and favorite feature (shiny, wavy red-brown long hair) and I had already noticed significant drying with perimenopause, BUT nothing unmanageable with a little conditioning until this.  Now my hair has steadily thinned very, very noticeably (my husband recently commented on it, which totally crushed me), has a texture like straw, is brittle, breaks easily, is very dull and lost all its shine, and the amount of hair in my comb, brush, shower drain is insane... as if I am a chemotherapy patient, I can tug on the bottom of my hair and a wad falls out.  Puts me in tears daily, I admit.

I know the hair thing is just vanity, but I feel like this illness has taken so much else away from me already, that this is the last indignity ... I've already lost a lot of my energy level/vitality, my confidence to try some new things or travel to new places for fear of running into perfumes or scents that will fell me, I no longer can have the joy of eating or of a good glass of wine, and I don't feel well enough some days to do all the things I want to do with my kids.  But after being so debilitated and practically housebound at first, I was finally able to get to a stable enough point on meds where my symptoms are enough under control that I am back to work, can drive my kids to places they need to go, keep the house clean, etc, and I'd accepted my limitations in some of these other areas... then this hit - - and I feel very depressed about it. At this rate, I won't have any hair left in a couple more months.  I told my husband we better go get another family pic taken before I'm bald, as I won't take pictures after that...

In my case, I don't know if it's the illness, the meds, the stress, hormones (I had mine checked shortly before the anaphylaxis and I was low on progesterone and testosterone) or the diet.  I was on the meds for about 6 months before the hair problem started, and my illness got more under control with the meds even before the hair problem (although I do note I still break out in bumps on my scalp at times when I'm having a low-level anaphylaxic/anaphylactoid (?) reaction).  And I feel much less stressed EXCEPT for the hair thing, which is stressing me mightily right now I admit.  I read online somewhere that Singulair might be an issue too (hair loss is not listed as a side effect, but I came across a forum where people said that it was a factor for them, and that their hair recovered when they got off of it, so I may try to drop it and see what happens, but I get wheezy without it sometimes).  I take 2 Zantac daily, 3-4 hydroxyzine, Benadryl as needed, 1 Singulair and 1 Allegra daily right now.  I have tried every conditioner/hot oil treatment, blowdrying less, etc., to no avail.  So I think it's either the illness itself or my limited diet as most likely culprits, since I am clearly not eating nutritiously.  I do take a multivitamin though (2 Solaray children's chewables that are dye-free), and I take extra D-vitamin (I had my D and B vit levels checked recently, and I was fine on both, after having previously been very low on D).

Anyone else have any success with any treatment?  Deborah, are you doing any better on the biotin and multivit?  I bought Neuroprotek from Dr. Theo's company and it is sitting on my counter, but I've been a little afraid to try it since I'm still so reactive to every food I try. Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to it? I used to take Omega 3 fish oil, but I'm afraid of trying that again too.
Thanks for listening,
Carol

Carol
MCAS and Hyperadrenergic POTS

IP Logged

MCAS and POTSMama
Tutor

Busy working Mom of 3
who needs to get well!

Colorado
Reply #27 - 07/09/12 at 17:30:31

Hi Deborah,
Add me to the hair loss group, sadly.  I just came across this thread and I don't know if it's a relief to know there are so many of us, or a worry that it won't be fixable.  Since I had my first anaphylaxis 8-9 months ago and subsequently was diagnosed with MCAS (high N-Methylhistamine, high TNF-a, but normal tryptase), I have slowly but surely watched my hair change in texture and thin.  My hair was previously my crowning glory and favorite feature (shiny, wavy red-brown long hair) and I had already noticed significant drying with perimenopause, BUT nothing unmanageable with a little conditioning until this.  Now my hair has steadily thinned very, very noticeably (my husband recently commented on it, which totally crushed me), has a texture like straw, is brittle, breaks easily, is very dull and lost all its shine, and the amount of hair in my comb, brush, shower drain is insane... as if I am a chemotherapy patient, I can tug on the bottom of my hair and a wad falls out.  Puts me in tears daily, I admit.

I know the hair thing is just vanity, but I feel like this illness has taken so much else away from me already, that this is the last indignity ... I've already lost a lot of my energy level/vitality, my confidence to try some new things or travel to new places for fear of running into perfumes or scents that will fell me, I no longer can have the joy of eating or of a good glass of wine, and I don't feel well enough some days to do all the things I want to do with my kids.  But after being so debilitated and practically housebound at first, I was finally able to get to a stable enough point on meds where my symptoms are enough under control that I am back to work, can drive my kids to places they need to go, keep the house clean, etc, and I'd accepted my limitations in some of these other areas... then this hit - - and I feel very depressed about it. At this rate, I won't have any hair left in a couple more months.  I told my husband we better go get another family pic taken before I'm bald, as I won't take pictures after that...

In my case, I don't know if it's the illness, the meds, the stress, hormones (I had mine checked shortly before the anaphylaxis and I was low on progesterone and testosterone) or the diet.  I was on the meds for about 6 months before the hair problem started, and my illness got more under control with the meds even before the hair problem (although I do note I still break out in bumps on my scalp at times when I'm having a low-level anaphylaxic/anaphylactoid (?) reaction).  And I feel much less stressed EXCEPT for the hair thing, which is stressing me mightily right now I admit.  I read online somewhere that Singulair might be an issue too (hair loss is not listed as a side effect, but I came across a forum where people said that it was a factor for them, and that their hair recovered when they got off of it, so I may try to drop it and see what happens, but I get wheezy without it sometimes).  I take 2 Zantac daily, 3-4 hydroxyzine, Benadryl as needed, 1 Singulair and 1 Allegra daily right now.  I have tried every conditioner/hot oil treatment, blowdrying less, etc., to no avail.  So I think it's either the illness itself or my limited diet as most likely culprits, since I am clearly not eating nutritiously.  I do take a multivitamin though (2 Solaray children's chewables that are dye-free), and I take extra D-vitamin (I had my D and B vit levels checked recently, and I was fine on both, after having previously been very low on D).

Anyone else have any success with any treatment?  Deborah, are you doing any better on the biotin and multivit?  I bought Neuroprotek from Dr. Theo's company and it is sitting on my counter, but I've been a little afraid to try it since I'm still so reactive to every food I try. Has anyone ever had a bad reaction to it? I used to take Omega 3 fish oil, but I'm afraid of trying that again too.
Thanks for listening,
Carol

Carol
MCAS and Hyperadrenergic POTS

IP Logged

PamH
Mentor

Indianapolis, IN USA
Reply #28 - 07/10/12 at 05:07:06

My hair loss started before I knew I had a mast cell issue. I think it is better now. I wear it really short so don't notice it as much.The teen multi vitamin from GNC doesn't have salicylates and a good one to try. Its called Mega Teen.
Pam

Pam

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #29 - 07/10/12 at 08:23:40

Well, I can report back on the hair change issue. I asked Dr. Akin if anything mast cell related could be affecting it. He didn't think that the disease was doing anything, however, he told me he has seen seen hair thinning as a side effect of some medications, most notably H2 antihistamines such as Zantac. He suggested other causes could be thyroid disease or hormonal and nutritional changes. He thought that a multivitamin would be helpful as well.

Given that information, I found a multivitamin that doesn't bother me (One a Day for Women) and started taking that. I had been taking a high dose of Zantac per day (600 mg). So, BECAUSE I WAS SO STABLE, I decided to very slowly taper down my Zantac to just 300 mg per day. It took at least a month to reduce the doseage, because I did it so carefully. I had been taking a 300 mg Zantac in the morning and another at 4 pm each day. I started reducing by purchasing 150 mg Zantac pills. Then I took the 150 mg  in the morning and my normal 300 mg pill at 4 pm. I did that for about 2-3 weeks. Feeling fine with that, I then switched the 4 pm Zantac to 150 mg as well. I remained feeling fine, so I was happily able to reduce my H2 med in half. (Important to note that I am very stable and have been for years. I would not reduce my meds if I was still sick all the time.)

So, how is my hair since I cut my Zantac to 300 mg per day rather than 600mg per day? Well, I THINK that it is actually better! It still isn't my abnormally thick mane of hair, but my hair is finally looking full and voluminous again. (It has always been long, but I think it is starting to look thicker again.) I also used to have my eyelashes breaking, which drove me crazy because I always had tons of long eyelashes as well. Well, they no longer break, so I think that is a good sign as well.

In regard to dry hair and skin, you definitely need to drink tons of water, and keep trying conditioners from your hairstylist. They might be better quality and help resore life to your hair. I currently use a pricier one from my salon, but it works great at restoring moisture and shine to the hair. It is called "It's a 10" Hair Mask, and I also use their "Miracle Leave in" Spray on my hair. I now have super shiny and soft hair. I just googled it and apparently you can order it from Walgreens! (Cheaper than my salon, hmmmm). Here is a link if you are interested: http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=Its+a+10&x=34&y=8&ext=gooBeauty_...

Now, I also get my hair highlighted/colored with a glaze put on by my hairdresser. I wonder if that adds to my hair shine....don't know for sure.

I also just returned from a week in Hilton Head. We pretty much spent the entire week in the salt water pools, and my skin became so soft and not dry!! In all of the restaurants there, they have sea salt scrub for your hands in the bathroom. I noticed that using this also kept my normally dry hands super soft. So, I bought some to bring home and I checked out their website and plan to order a product for the face as well. (secretoftheislands.com)

So, that is my latest info on my hair investigation and my meds! Hope my experiences might help some of you.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print