Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where to get Ketotifen (Read 15564 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Re: Where to get Ketotifen
Reply #15 - 12/06/11 at 05:30:50

Mousse, It can be sedating. But it goes away after your on it for a while. The first week I was not drowzy, by the secound week I did notice some drowzyness. But by the 6 week I was fine. I did not cause weight gain for me. I take 1mg 4 times a day. You start the dosage backwards. 1mg at night for week one and then week 2 one at dinner then one at nightime and the third week one at lunch, dinner, and bedtime and so on. I stopped taking hydroxyzine at night because it is sedating and figured once I adjusted to the ketotifen I would start the hydroxyzine at night again. But I feel so much better on the ketotifen I'm not going to add the hydroxyzine back in. If you have ever tried doxepin or hydroxyzine they are sedating and you take them at night, they can make you feel groggy in the morning but usually by noon it wears off. I think hydroxyzine lasts for about 16 hours. Since I stopped the hydroxyzine I have a little more energy either because it was effecting me more than I thought or the ketotifen is working so good.
Mike- I had to have a prescription, I just called my allergist and asked for it. My hives where so bad at that point the next step was going to be plaquenil because I was going crazy with the itching. But I wanted to try the ketotifen first so the nurse at my allergist office called Clark's pharmacy and the pharmacist explained how it works and dosage info and my doc prescribed it. It was easier than I thought it would be. Good luck!
Melissa

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #16 - 03/28/12 at 03:35:20

Just started Ketotifen last weekend.....oh my...so exhausted. Anyone else? Will it pass?

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #17 - 03/29/12 at 13:37:56

Sorry Missy...I didn't see your post...duh...

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #18 - 03/30/12 at 03:04:23

Star:
I've been on ketitofen thanks to Missy's great pharmacist for going on 3 months. First yes it sems to make me more drowsy, especially if I've worked too hard or under the weather some. But I'm getting used to it.& I think it's worth doing. My skin pain seems already some better. I'm taking 3 a day. 1@ Noon, 1@5PM, @ 1 @ night. My drowsy periods are 1st in morning, of course I'm taking it at night with zrytec. some liquid benedryl, & a tramadol as that's when my pain is worst. So with that combo I should be drowsy anyway. Then around 4pm. Also cost is worth it plus don't have to worry about some insurance company rejecting gastrocrom anymore. I was on gastrocrom for about 2-3 years but always wanted to get on ketitofen as it should be better for me than gastrocrom, since I'm a leaker with little gastro issues.
Good luck
MikeV

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #19 - 03/30/12 at 07:11:01

Starfish, let us know about your progress in the next few months. Hope it helps!
Melissa

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - 04/04/12 at 11:36:19

I was given a prescription for ketoifen I am so nervous too start it it has sat in my medicine box for about a month, I am not sure if I want too start it I already have problems with losing weight I don't know what happened but since I started antihistamines the weight has just come on and I am now on a vegan diet for one month eating very healthy , I now seem too be able too tolerate most foods YEAH, but I am still having issues which I am not sure now if its the pots/dysautonomia or the mast cell issues I def do not flush as much, I do have quite a bit GI involement with diarrhea and then constipation but my biggest issue is the abd distention I notice its def not my diet as I can take one bite of something like toast and boom my abd is like I have tripletss and other times I can eat a full mean and be fine. I am thinking I should start this med strictly b/c of my inability too sleep it might make me drowsy and by the way I paid 80 dollars for a month of it here in the US and 8 dollars for a bottle of the liquid ketofien on my recent trip out of the country i will go back just too get this medication if it works for me, what I was given was capsules but I have the liquid type from out of the country I brought the liquid too the pharmacist here and they said its basically what they used as they had too get it from out of the USA and its unknown what fillers and stuff they put into it, anyway sorry I am long winded today, but please if anyone can tell me some of the positive things that have gone better for them on this drug I would feel better starting it

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #21 - 04/04/12 at 14:34:38

I live in Canada and was just told we're "low" on my brand of ketotifen

Really hoping i can find some somewhere so that I don't have to switch brands

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #22 - 04/04/12 at 18:22:19

I also read that ketotifen can help people gain weight.  Does anybody know which it does?

Joan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print