Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Blood Pressure Meds that MCAD people can take (Read 4050 times)
PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

High Blood Pressure Meds that MCAD people can take
03/31/12 at 13:50:08

My blood pressure is really high.  I was eating UTZ salty sourdough pretzels morning noon and night because I couldn't seam to find anything to eat that didn't require cooking.

My fingers got so swollen from the salt and now I've had headaches every a.m. for days.  Today it didn't get better til 6pm.  That's with lots of H1H2 and even tylenol.  I ate out in a restaurant last nite.  Chicken Piccata and brocalli rabe.  The capers are a no no.  

What blood pressure med can I take.  I've been prescribed amlodopine bensylate and this makes me dizzy and tired and can't eat anything with potassium or citric acid.

If anyone takes blood pressure meds please let me know what kind.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: High Blood Pressure Meds that MCAD people can take
Reply #1 - 03/31/12 at 16:12:08

Your DR did exactly right--we are supposed to take calcium channel blockers and your med "Norvasc" is one. It sometimes takes a little time to get used to a new med...getting dizzy from a BP med usually means it might be working too well and taking your BP down too quickly. I suggest buying a digital BP cuff and take your BP twice a day (record it too!).

If youre still having trouble with your Norvasc, then you might try Ditiazem (another calcium channel blocker). I take it twice a day. It not only helps lower your BP but it can help prevent atrial fib (fast heart rate). I also take HCTZ which has a diuretic in it (a water pill) sounds like you could use one. Good luck either way!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/01/12 at 02:01:12

Thank you so much.  I was afraid to take it again but the risk of stroke really scares me more.

IP Logged

nevermiss
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 04/01/12 at 02:43:01

I have moderate hbp and take diovan.  I do not have any issues with it.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/02/12 at 09:53:47

PJP;
You poor thing ! I have had hypertension for 20+ yrs. & have been on several during that span. When I first "got sick (severe allergic reaction/etc) before being diagnosed w TMEP/cutaneous masto- my GP freaked out & took me off all meds. My BP went sky high for several weeks! Shocked Scared the crap outa me. After trial & error; I am on:
Losartin Potassium (generic Cozaar)100mg/1x day;
Amlodipine Besylate(generic Norvasc)5mg/1x day;
Hydrochlorthiazide(generic Microzide)12.5mg/1x day
Ramona is right- the norvasc takes a bit of getting used to, but my BP is finally normal again. Smiley And the Hydrochlor is a diuretic- I'd rather pee more than have high blood pressure. I watched my mom suffer for years because she didnt "like the inconvenience of the water pill". My family passed on some bad genes & Im grateful there are medicines that can help balance the odds. Wink
Hope I dont sound "preachy" sweetie, I just want to reassure you from some personal experience.
Good luck with this,
lori

IP Logged

PJP123
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 04/05/12 at 18:00:54

Thanks you everyone.

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/06/12 at 13:07:57

I wanted too recommend clonodine patch I use this weekly and it has been a lifesaver my BP hardly ever goes above 120 and I have had high BP for years plus it really helps with the sympathic  nevervous system calms everything down. I know some people cannot put patches on I had a problem in the beginning b/c they gave me a manufacturer that only had this large patches, i only use the mylan manufacturer its a very small patch and really gives me no problems at the site.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print