Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where to get Ketotifen (Read 15588 times)
iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Where to get Ketotifen
10/26/11 at 05:26:08

Hey all;
First- Thanks again Susan for the info ! Smiley
I was having difficulty getting Ketotifen. My allergist suggested I ask friends/relatives in other countries(or who visit other countries) or mailorder. Then, my pharmacist warned me to be cautious because many drugs avail. thru mailorder arent the "real thing". I thought I might have to go to Canada-its about an hours drive away- BUT, when calling drugstores there to compare pricing (my dr. suggested this so I didnt get overcharged-he says its a relatively cheap drug to make) I found out You have to have a prescription written by a Canadian Dr.!
So; I called the place in Bellevue Wa. n they were very helpful, And it was Cheaper than the canadian pharmacy (but no ins. coverage) ! The FDA "wont allow it it to be made here because its not Worth it" I was told. Cry
Just like other drugs- they cant make a profit off of- for Cancer patients. I'd rather see a storefront selling a controlled substance to people who it really helps, than see the kids on the corner & the customers they attract. THAT you can get here easier than an antihistamine???! Its all about the $$$. Sorry for getting on my soapbox. Embarrassed
God shed His grace...
lori

IP Logged

Rick
Rookie

Cumming,Georgia
Re: Where to get Ketotifen
Reply #1 - 11/21/11 at 11:42:49

Hello -  I get my Zaditen through pharmacyrxworld.com (Canada) on the internet. It ships from Turkey and takes 3-4 weeks to arrive.
My internist gives me a prescription. If I can recall correctly it's about 25-$30 for 30 pills

RD

IP Logged

nevermiss
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 11/21/11 at 23:49:17

I found a compounding pharmacy who will make Ketotifen in Massachusetts.  I have referred him to my doctor to see if he can help other patients as well.

IP Logged

lynda51
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
WI
Reply #3 - 11/24/11 at 17:34:09

I am a patient of Dr. Afrin.  I received an email from him stating that, at the recent conference in Boston, it was made known that oral ketotifen is now (legally) available from compounding pharmacies. You need a script and monitoring from your local doctor.  Yea...more progress!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 11/30/11 at 08:51:13

I get my ketotifen from Clarks Compounding Pharmacy in Bellevue Washington and I love the pharmacist he is awesome. I have been told there is another pharmacy in Seattle called Maple Leaf Pharmacy and Compounding Center. Here is both their info's

Clark's Pharmacy
425-881-0222
1-800-480-3432
15615 Bel Red RoadBellevue, WA98008

Maple Leaf Pharmacy
8830 Roosevelt Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115
206-729-7514
http://www.mleafpharmacy.com/

Good luck!
Melissa

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 11/30/11 at 08:58:43

Lori, Clarks will give you a form to send off the your insurance for reimbursment. I haven't sent mine off yet. But they covered my cromoyln soduim that was compounded at 50%, I was paying 50 a month for that. But now I pay 54.00 a month for 120 pills of ketotifen, my insurance might or might not reimburse me but I don't care. Ketotifen is really helping me and it is worht it. I don't know your situation but if you can afford it do it.
Melissa

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #6 - 11/30/11 at 10:34:08

One quick point as oral ketotifen was mentioned by a poster, I got some via prescription & much to my dismay, it uses a fairly high percentage of alcohol in & alcohol is usually a no-no for us with masto. I tried for a couple weeks & number one gained some weight fast & secondly started feeling more skin pain. Of course this could have been my psych playing with me, but the weight was real. I would be interested in some pharm making ketotifen without cornstarch which the normal pills have.
MikeV

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 11/30/11 at 12:32:05

Missy;
Thanks for the info.It was around $43.00 for 60 capsules. Not too bad.
Mike; Now comes the embarrassing part... Im not sure whats exactly in the Ketotifen I ordered from Clarks. It doesnt list ingredients, and I am so umm, anxious to feel better; guess I need to be more cautious !
THAT said: I started the Ketotifen around a month ago. I wasnt feeling too sure if its been helping much (or not as much as I'D LIKE it to).
Until about an hour ago:  I felt kinda funky all day,like I was coming down with a bug. Mind you, I havent caught anything EXCEPT this disease, since being diagnosed this spring. So I didnt know if I was going "over the edge"-Im always afraid Ill become a shocker- or coming down with the flu. My guts were killing me like Never before!!! I already took my other meds incl. 300mg zantac; so I took a pepcid- then realized...    I forgot to take ketotifen this afternoon.
Honest to God, my stomach eased up almost immediately !!! So, I know its doin something ! Well, Im getting what looks like the big dipper on my arm right now (connect the dots anyone?) and the inflamation could be worse, but my guts are not feeling like an aliens gonna pop out've them anymore. I will remember to keep you all in my thoughts tonite '
and hope you find some comfort,
lori

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #8 - 12/01/11 at 03:15:37

Lori:
I tried the tablets rather than the capsule but looking at the inactive ingrediants, they appear to be the same. They seemed to work to reduce my skin pain, but my foot pain escalated & talking with people the seemingly only ingrediant to cause trouble is the corn starch as it's high in sulfites. If they are working for you don't worry. But the key is to get the ketotifen(zaditen) that is not generic as the generic is made in India whereas the Novaris mfgers in Europe. To me I didn't want to take a chance with Indian manufacturing. But just heard on radio 1 of the 2 generics for lipitor is going to be made in India, so they must meet FDA spec, but still scares me. Good luck. By the way I got mine online through North Drug out of Canada without a problem. But if I'd known of the US ones I'd have went that way.
MikeV

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 12/01/11 at 05:54:17

Mike-I asked Clark's what else was in the compounded Ketotifen he said cellulose. That's it. You should try the compounded form it might work better for you.
Melissa

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #10 - 12/01/11 at 06:40:36

melissa:
Did you need a prescription or did you just order it? I know my insurance company probably would not cover it, but that's no big deal as long as it helps, which without the cornstarch is sure worth a try.
Thanks for checking for me.
MikeV

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 12/01/11 at 07:28:18

Mike;
I had to have my allergist send them the script. They gave me a choice of how it was shipped.
Thanks also Melissa for cheking into it. Smiley We are lucky to have each other- better than bein healthy and alone I guess... Huh
lori

IP Logged

Mousse
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Georgia
Reply #12 - 12/05/11 at 01:38:25

Could you tell me what dose you take? I heard it is very sedating. Thank-you, Cindy

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 12/05/11 at 03:29:06

Cindy;
I take 1 mg  in the late afternoon. I take Allegra 180 in the am, along with Zantac 150, Singulair Advair, & Nasonex. I take a Zyrtec 10mg at bedtime (which at first made me wired,now makes me drowsy) So thats why when I started the Ketotifen, I take it in late afternoon. We can build up a tolerance for antihistamines, and as I say, some of us get wired from some of them... So go by what your body and your dr. tell you. I Did take the pharmacist's advice, and took the first couple doses when I didnt have to go anywhere/do anything- just til I knew how it affected me.
Hope this helps  Smiley
lori

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 12/05/11 at 05:23:12

I take 6mg of Ketotifen, but only at night since I'm sensitive to meds which sedate me.  

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print