Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Heart issues? (Read 9136 times)
Enko
Guiding Light

Heart issues?
09/27/11 at 08:31:37

I have no diagnosis yet, but I would like to hear your side of the story on heart issues.

I'm diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. I also have tachycardia, AV blocks (II. degree Wenckenbach) with pauses that reach 1,69s because blocked atrial extrasystoles and sometimes nodal rhythm of frequency 85/min (in sleep). I'm not prescribed any therapy. What are your experiences with heart problems?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Heart issues?
Reply #1 - 09/29/11 at 04:36:52

First of all, Enko, I want to tell you, YOUR ENGLISH IS GREAT!!!!!   You've worked VERY harda studying, I can tell!!   Congratulations!!

Now, on to the heart issues.   Masto does indeed cause some heart issues, but it's not known to cause SERIOUS heart damage.  Yes, the mediators affect the heart and most of us have arrhythmias namely being tacchycardia.  However, there are no studies into what exactly mastocytosis does to the heart function yet.  In this respect, our doctors are blind and have nothing to lead them on.  

So, what do they do?   They treat the symptoms.   By taking antihistamines, leukotreine blockers and mast cell mediators, they help to reduce some of the effects of the mediators which the mast cells put out.   What is left over our cardiologists put us on ACE inhibitors and other heart medication.  Although most doctors want to put us on beta blockers this is contra-indicated because if you were to need epinephine, the beta blockers interfere with the epinephrine and make it less effective I believe, thus it puts your life into danger when you are already in danger with anaphylaxis.   So, this is why most of us are on ACE inhibitors instead.

I hope this helps, Enko!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #2 - 09/29/11 at 08:34:47

Lisa,

thank you for very informative post! And thank you for commending my english Cheesy

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

ADork
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Castle Rock, Co
Reply #3 - 10/20/11 at 15:00:31

Hi Enko,

I too am awaiting diagnosis..

I have occasional bouts of tachycardia and also have been diagnosed with Mitral Valve.

I don't know that there is any relation between the masto and the MVP... we're all so different .. who knows?

Cindy

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #4 - 10/21/11 at 03:03:23

Hi Cindy!

Did your cardiologist ask you to wear 24h Holter EKG? It might be very useful!

Since you've mentioned MVP - you don't have any regurgitation?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

ADork
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Castle Rock, Co
Reply #5 - 10/21/11 at 04:54:38

Hi Enko..

I was diagnosed years ago and yes w/ regurg...

Do not have a new cardiologist where I live now.  Went to the ER for chest pain and breathing issues last year (now thinking maybe masto related) they found nothing..ekg and stress test were normal.. but they kept me all day because my BP and respiratory was elevated.

Went to a local cardiologist for follow up who said, without any testing at all mind you, that he didn't believe I had MVP.. So I left his officer never to return Smiley.

What would a 24h Holter EKG do/show?

Cindy

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #6 - 10/21/11 at 05:08:56

Hey C.,

My 24h testing showed everything that I've listed above (minus MVP) - arrhythmia/tachy, AV blocks, nodal rhythm. Usually when docs do a normal, short term EKG on me it looks perfect! This things popped out only on 24h monitoring. They put the.. what are they called.. let's call them sensors on your chest as they would with normal EKG, but hey are not that big, and you get a little box that you carry on your belt. You also write a record of all the things that you were doing through the day so doctors can compare it later to the readings.

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

ADork
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Castle Rock, Co
Reply #7 - 10/21/11 at 05:42:49

Thanks E!!

When I find a new Cardiologist I will request.. for now I was thinking I might pick up a portable BP / pulse monitor..

Cindy

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #8 - 10/21/11 at 06:47:32

Portable BP/HR monitor is a must! If you're having troubles with BP you can make a log and then show it to your doc. My docs don't believe me that I have low BP because every time they check it it's perfect - 120/80!

Do you take any therapy regarding MVP?

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

ADork
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Castle Rock, Co
Reply #9 - 10/21/11 at 06:55:02

No my doc years ago said I didn't need any therapy for my MVP..

I used to have low BP, a couple of faiting spells, dizziness etc... the last few times I've had it taken it's been a little  high.. which would explain why I dont' get the dizziness on standing etc anymore, but now I"m concerned because it's a little high..

Used to be 110/60, now 138/90...

I will get the monitor and try to track as you suggest.

Cindy

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #10 - 10/21/11 at 07:35:47

No therapy and you have reg.? On your place I would seek for another opinion! MVP needs to be monitored, especially if you have regurgitation! I guess that it was mild so that's why your doc didn't react, but you should check it at least once a year!

About tracking BP - also write down your HR and check it always on the same time, preferably twice a day. Always use the same hand when you're measuring because hands vary in structure of blood vessels

About high BP - is it always high or just when you're standing or sitting? You can try a simple test: lay down and relax, and when you're calm measure it. Wait a bit and then stand up and measure it again. In 2-3 minutes of standing measure it again. That means that you should have 3 measures in 5 mins period. If you're having big swings in heart rate (raise over 30 after standing up) and blood pressure and it's stable at the high end after five minutes it might be a sign of POTS. BUT - for starters, look for a second opinion about MVP. Ask around if people know a good cardiologist (if you ask on forum maybe someone can tell you by your location)

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

ADork
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Castle Rock, Co
Reply #11 - 10/21/11 at 09:16:41

Thanks Enko...

You've given me a few more things to add to my to do list.

I've got a month to wait for my biopsy results to come back from Hopkins, AND, I've met all of my out of pocket expenses for 2011 for my medical insurance, so I might as well get everything checked on while ht won't cost be anything.

Thank you for all of your advice!!

Cindy

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #12 - 10/21/11 at 09:31:02

You're welcome! Hang on and keep us posted! Smiley

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #13 - 11/09/11 at 04:06:12

Is there someone who maybe could at least partially interpret my new Holter EKG results?

Max HR: 173 (03:51 PM)
Min HR: 42 (03:53 AM)

Missed beats: 1 at 04:18 AM, RR= 1615 ms

SUPRAVENTRICULAR EVENTS:
ECTOPIC BEATS:
Isolated: 45
Couplets: 55 (0.1%)
Runs: 1
Total: 158
TACHYCARDIA: 7
Total duration: 07:31
RR INSTABILITY: 1
Total duration: 01:47 at 03:53 AM

Comments:
Basic rhythm is sinus, with frequency from 42 to 173/min, 75 in average. During the sleep there are multiple appearances of A-V block of II. degree Wenckebach and Mobitz II; at 03:53 total A-V block with A-V dissociation and ventricular frequency 55/min.

At the bottom there's also a remark that I should report to my cardiologist, and the nurse that was giving me test results said that I need to go ASAP and referred me to second nurse. The second nurse said the same thing and referred me to the third nurse. Third nurse said (again!) the same and said that my doctor is at the moment at ICU and that I should go and see him. At the end, after 5 HOURS OF WAITING(!) I didn't manage to get to him! Nurses that work there said that he'll be in tomorrow and to come back then. Aaargh.. My poor nerves.. and I can bet that he'll tell me that there's nothing to worry about, he did the same last time. Sad

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Enko
Guiding Light

Reply #14 - 11/10/11 at 23:06:37

I still didn't manage to get to my cardiologist Sad My neurologist saw the results and said that that event at 03:53 is not good and that I'll need a good cardiologist to help with that. And I have to wait until Monday and then to try to catch him  Undecided

你会说汉语吗?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print