Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prep for tissue sample with sedation - Help! (Read 1468 times)
daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Prep for tissue sample with sedation - Help!
09/23/11 at 00:15:01

I am going to have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy in a few weeks.  Last time I had this done I was very, very sick. I threw up all the medication used to clean you out. At that time I wasn't eating anyway so they were able to do the procedures without further torture.  I am in much better shape now but I'm scared that I will have bad reactions to the evacuation medicine and lots of problems without my medication.   The procedures are scheduled for 9:30 am and they are doing it in the hospital as a one day surgery to better manage me.  I have to be there one hour early to start the pre-med sequence.  They will be taking tissue samples to look for mast cells and triptase.  I don't want to do anything that will impact the test results but I don't want to not be able to get the test done because my blood pressure is out of wack or end up in the ER before hand.  My husband is very worried too so the whole thing is stressing me out, which probably isn't going to help anything.  
Does anyone know what I can do to help prepare my body for this?  I think the test results will be valuable in helping the Doc manage my condition and understand what's going on but....... Cry

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Prep for tissue sample with sedation - Help!
Reply #1 - 09/23/11 at 03:30:05

This is what I also face, Daowebe.   I have serious issues with these very same things - the process of cleaning out my system has put me into anaphylaxis too, so my doctors hospitalize me in order to do this.  

We CAN INDEED get through these exams.  Print these instructions out for your doctors and also for yourself.  FOLLOW THEM CLOSELY!!!   Make sure your doctors do too!!!   These protocols are the very best out there and they WILL INDEED PROTECT YOU!!

I suggest that your doctors call you into the hospital a few extra hours prior to the exam so that you can drink that prep SLOWLY.  It made me feel nauseated too, but I managed to keep it down.  I did undergo some rashing up when my intestines began to respond to the medication, so another reason why they need to go slowly with you.   It would be good for your system to calm down a tad before facing the colonoscopy.  And this way, if they give you the last dose of medications IV instead of orally, they can make sure that you are fully prepped prior to the exam.  

Here's the protocols!!   http://mastcelldisorders.wallack.us/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1293571751

Also, make sure it's done in the operating room and with an anesthesiologist on hand. I also think that your doctors should consider holding you overnight.  The reason is because within the intestines you have a high amount of MCs and they are very, very sensitive.  In manipulating them, there is a lot of degranulation that goes on regardless of how careful they are.  It is entirely possible that when you get home, those meds have worn off and you could then trigger.  You should be kept under observation in case of a delayed reaction situation.  This is what my doctors do with me.a

Those of us who react so severely to invasive procedures should have a colonoscopy done in the anex clinic, but in the operating room itself.  With these precautions, you'll be the SAFEST, MOST PROTECTED patient in that hospital!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

daowebe
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 15:24:30

The procedures are being done in the hospital so I'm good with that.  I had surgery a month ago and the Anesthesiologist was very good about giving me what I asked for and looked up everything I asked him to while I was there.  I asked for him again and the doctor said he would request him.  He said either way he would make sure they followed the same protocol as last time, which was successful.  I figured out that I needed more antihistamines afterward and just dosed myself by adding benadryl every 4 hours.  I think I'll give the night before a shot and if I have any issues at all I'll call the doctor immediately.  Do you think adding more antihistamines starting a few days ahead would be useful?   It's the evacuation meds and not being able to take anys for hours that scares me.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/23/11 at 18:30:33

Try to use clear or at least not red pre-meds.  Red messes up the tests.  Clear Benadryl gelcaps are good or clear children's Benadryl liquid.

The protocols call for you to increase meds the day before and the morning of your procedure.  It can't hurt to start an extra day ahead.  Also, ask your doctor about ondansetron (Zofran) and whether you could use it or another anti-nausea med in advance to head off the nausea.  It's a lot easier to stop it before it starts.

Good luck!  Let us know how you do!

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 09/24/11 at 02:42:42

I strongly urge you to use the REMA protocols themselves, either those or those of Dr. Castells.  They are specifically designed for masto patients and they even hold severely reactive patients like me.  But they have a very specific quantity and timing as to these meds and one of them includes taking ALL of those meds no sooner than 1 hour prior to the procedure.  

You should not have to be concerned about the meds you take an hour prior to your exam.  Your doctors should put in an access for meds with this exam, for they may need to give you an IV or medications.  So, they should give you ALL of these meds IV an hour prior to the exam.   Besides, the little bit of water you would injest with these meds is relatively harmless when it comes to doing the upper and lower GIs and being that they are an hour prior, the medication has already disolved and entered your blood stream.  I think that if there is any one of the meds that do not come in injectible form it is probably the singulair, the other 3 can be given to you as an IV injection.  

This is why I suggest that your anesthesiologist be made aware of these procedures.  You should sit down and talk with him yourself telling him aof your experience with these medications and the nausea and vomitting.  These are things that the anesthesiologist also needs to know.

One of the things Iīve learned over the past few years is that the anesthesiologist is who calls the shots during a surgery, not he surgeon.  The surgeon is who does the work, but he doesnīt keep his eye on how the patient is doing, thatīs the anesthesiologistīs job.  So, anything that goes wrong during a procedure, itīs the anesthesiologist who must be making the decisions.   This is why Iīm personally in contact with mine.  I have two, because itīs not safe to have but one who knows how to deal with you.  If you were in a car accident, and your one anesthesiologist was not in that day, youīre stuck with a really bad situation then.   Yet, in doing this upcoming procedure, you need to sit down with the anesthesiologist and talk with him over these issues.  He will provide that you are given the correct meds to help counteract the nausea as well as give your needed meds IV so that you donīt need to drink water.  

So, I suggest that you ask your doctor to help you get in contact with the anesthesiologist.  You may want to call the hospital instead and leave a message for the anesthesiologist yourself.  This way you donīt need to have your doctor play middle man, which he may feel that your concerns over this are typical patient pre-procedure jitters!!

Unfortunately, many doctors, because they donīt understand the disease and what weīve had to go through, mistake our valid concerns as nothing more than typical pre-procedure anxiety that normal patients go through.  Because they donīt walk a mile in our shoes, they easily misunderstand us and tend to blow us off!!   My doctors have learned!  In fact, I have an upcoming colonoscopy as well.  Iīve asked my angiologist if she can be present and that we schedule this procedure on a day when she is in surgery.  Sheīs seen my severe reactions but the gastrologist and the anesthesiologist are going to be rookies in dealing with me and they may not understand my syncope after the exam.  These exams put a great deal of stress upon my system and I donīt wake up from the anesthesia for hours afterwards.  The anesthesiologist is an excellent doctor and heīs got my records from my surgery last year to study and gain understanding and heīs considered one of our best in town.  But, he doesnīt have experience with me except once and that was several years ago.  So, my knowing this, Iīve requested that my angiologist be on hand should these 2 doctors run into trouble with me.  My angiologist is 100% agreeing with this request for SHEīS had a LOT of experience with me and fully understands whatīs going on.  And since she is a surgeon, sheīs got that angle of understanding to help.  

So, it may seem to your doctor to be overkill, but remember ITīS YOUR LIFE YOUīRE TALKING ABOUT, not his!  If he were living this nightmare, you bet your bippy that heīd be doing OVERKILL as well!!!!!  

One of the things Iīve also learned.... We masto patients are very similar to doctors in that doctors do NOT go into their own surgeries with ease!  They are known to have much higher levels of anxiety than any other patient group and this is because THEY KNOW TOOO MUCH!  Well, we may not know as much as they do on a technical  basis, but due to the frights that we constantly live with, we too KNOW TOO MUCH, from an experience basis.  Weīre much more aware of what we are capable of doing and our experience has taught us to be very precautious when it comes to medical proedures!!   OUR DOCTORS NEED TO RECOGNIZE THIS AND RESPECT IT AND STOP CALLING US OVER ANXIOUS!!!! Angry

So, if you can, personally speak with the anesthesiologist, give him the REMA protocols and ask him to appropriately medicate you prior to the procedure so that you can RELAX and HAVE PEACE!!!

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print