Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are you sure natural stuff doesn't work? (Read 5073 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Are you sure natural stuff doesn't work?
09/19/11 at 09:03:48

I've been needing more and more antihistamines to get the same relief from my symptoms.  It's scary, but definitely NOT in my head.  My diet has been clean for days - only rice, veggies and chicken.  And, although I did feel well for a period, I'm just needing so many drugs to keep my symptoms at bay. And now I'm gaining weight almost everyday (not an exaggeration).  I'm 100% sure this weight gain is due to these drugs.  I've only been on this tx protocol for a few months and I've gained 8 to 10 lbs.  I workout 5 or 6 days/week and well.. you know my diet.  What I'm trying to say is that I CAN NOT do more than I am now to avoid weight gain -- it's just not possible or practical.

Anyway, given both the increasing amount of meds I need to feel better AND this weight gain - it just seems like this might not be a sustainable tx approach.  Don't laugh.  There's got to be something else better than feeling like hell or taking two types of antihistamines every 4 or 5 hours and getting obese, no??

Anyway, this made me wonder what else I could possible try when I found this interesting article:

http://mastcellmaster.com/documents/cam-theoharides.pdf

You all are a very smart, well-educated group.  And I do feel like if there were a better way to treat mast cell disorders that you'd probably already be doing it.  But in the difficult situation I find myself, I can't help wondering if there isn't another option.  

I'd love to have your opinion on this interesting article regarding natural substances or 'dietary supplements' effects on mast cells.

FYI - If you're curious. This is what I was taking up until a few days ago.  I've now cut back to only 2 zertec.  Increased the Gastrocrom to 200mg QID; cut out the hydroxyzine and benedryl; and feel relatively shitty.

10 mg of Singulair twice a day
300 mg of Zantac twice a day
100 mg of Gastrocrom four times a day
10 mg Zertec every 6 hours (in all honesty I wouldn’t make it 6 hours between doses)
25 mg Hydroxyzine 4 times a day (This seemed to work well at first but I seemed to need it every 4 hours or my symptoms came back)
liquid benadryl (when I had problems – a few times I went thru ½ bottle in a day which scared me, but so does not being able to breathe)

Thanks.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Are you sure natural stuff doesn't work?
Reply #1 - 09/19/11 at 10:00:27

Dr. Theoharides is reputable.  If you can tolerate it, there's nothing wrong with trying some supplements such as quercetin, aloe, turmeric, etc...  Even blueberries are anti-inflammatory.

When I was really sick I weighed almost fifty pounds less than I do now.  I'm six feet tall and I fit easily into a size 10... if I wasn't so sick I would have felt like a model.  Like you, I was concerned about the weight gain, but it hasn't led me to become obese.  Over the last year my weight has stabilized around 190-195 pounds.  Slightly overweight.  Not a big deal.  Vanity tells me that skinny is better Wink  Reality tells me that healthy is better.  Many people have told me how much better I look these days.  I feel better too.  

Just my opinion... I'd rather be happy than skinny.

Heather  

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jrsubs
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/19/11 at 15:38:03

I'm so glad you posted this! I joined the list a few days ago and have been hanging out for my subscription to be validated just so I can post one question ...

Has anyone tried Hesperidin, in particular HMC Hesperidin that is supposed to be a mast cell stabiliser?

I'm about to re-read the article you posted, it looks very interesting and immediately raises the question - Has anyone tried Chondroitin Sulphate?

I'm following this path because Singulair is killing me, side effects that seem to breed side effects.  I need something else and other possibilities including Ketotifen are not available in Australia afaics.

Julian

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 09/19/11 at 15:45:32

Hi. Can't really comment either way on the article. I just read the summaries, and it doesn't appear to be helpful for mast cell symptoms. One thing which you might want to consider as to the reasons that your meds don't seem as effective: you mention that you work out 5-6 times/week. For most mast cell patients, working out degranulates mast cells. For many, it can make them very ill. If you fall into that category, then you are triggering massive amounts of symptoms each day that you work out and your meds are just trying to keep your head out of water. Perhaps if you weren't working out, you wouldn't be triggering and you wouldn't have to take all of the meds.

Now that I said that, I totally empathize with you about working out! I feel much better overall when I work out each day. I do trigger from it, though. So, what I did was to study what actualy bothered me. Heat is a primary trigger for me. So when I exercise, it must be indoors with the air conditioning on full blast. Sometimes I even place a fan near myself. This helps immensely!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/19/11 at 18:41:10

Very smart, Deb!  I also have problems with exercise if it's hot.  And, it causes me to swell and get puffy.  It can make a 2-5 pound difference almost overnight.

The extra weight could also be edema from triggering all the time.  You might check with your doctor about your meds.  You aren't at the maximum dose of gastrocrom or singulair.

I know people who have had great results from Dr. Theoharides Algonot formula.  It seems to reduce inflammation and helps stabilize the mast cells.  I was getting good results from Quercetin, one of the ingredients in his formula, but I had to take a break.  I think it upset my stomach because I took it without food.  I'm planning to start again soon.

Joan

IP Logged

jrsubs
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/19/11 at 22:24:53

In case it isn't clear, Algonot is the product that MastoGem's linked article is about.  The article is the background and justification for Algonot.  

I'm going to try Algonot.

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/20/11 at 04:51:57

Thank you all for your responses.  You make a good point Deborah.  Thanks.  I do turn the AC way down when I exercise and don't seem to have a problem with it, but I could be wrong.  Joan, you are right too - I know some of this is water retention and it is overnight sometimes, so maybe you guys are right.  And yes, Heather, of course I'd rather be happy than skinny.  But I also would like to take natural stuff IF POSSIBLE rather than drugs with all these side effects.

No Julian, I have not tried Hesperidin.  Honestly, I haven't heard about it.  I've just been focusing on the supplements mentioned in the article above as I have a high degree of respect for the author and figure he was probably pretty thorough in his review of the subject.  But I'd love to know more.  

I'm going to pick up some "Nuero protect", which is the new name for Dr. Theoharides mast cell stabilizing, formula at lunch.  I know it takes awhile to work, but I'm still excited.

I will also probably pick up some of the herb Dr. Theoharides mentions in that article that is suppose to work as an anti histamine.  I will go slow and wait between adding new things.

Thanks again for your comments.

BTW - Dr. Theoharides' assistant told me he's speaking at an autism conference on November 13 at 9am in St. Petersburg.  That's close to me so I'm going to try to go for the day.  Apparently, his talk on autism will be focusing on mast cell issues.  Interesting, huh?  She thinks I might be able to ask him a few questions afterward too.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 09/20/11 at 06:44:52

What a great opportunity!  I've only seen Dr. Theoharides on the TMS DVDs, but he seems like a wonderful person.  I'd love to meet him.

Heather

ps - What other side effects (if any) have you noticed besides weight gain?  IMO, if there's anything "lucky" about having a mast cell disorder, it's that most of our medications are very safe for long-term use.

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jrsubs
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/20/11 at 16:49:01

I'll be following your experience with interest.  From the website NeuroProtek will not be available until October 11th and it will be expensive (to me, but maybe not compared with other treatments) at one bottle a week (8 caps a day, therefore $33 a week).  Did you consider using Algonot Plus as Joan says gives people good results?  Anyway I hope you report on your experiences.

Hesperidin I only know about from web search, Thorne Research have a product based on it called HMC Hesperidin.  They claim ...

"  -  a citrus flavonoid that supports blood vessel health*
  -  blood vessel stabilizing effects can reduce the incidence of menopausal hot flashes*
   -  stabilizes mast cells that store and release histamine*
   -  a water-soluble form of the flavonoid hesperidin

Since I also have problems with sensitive or brittle blood vessels (small knocks on hands and feet cause bleeding due to splitting blood vessels) I thought it was worth a try.

I am working on the theory that MSADs are a heterogeneous group of problems with different causes and pathways, so I guess that one treatment might help a particular person better than others depending on what pathway it works on, therefore it's worth following up different treatments.  Unfortunately for me it seems that only one of the usual medical treatments is available here (Singulair in Australia) so I'm pushed towards supplements that I can import.  Also my doctor knows nothing at all about MCADs so I'm on my own in choosing and evaluating treatments.  I already take zantac and an antihistamine (which I'd taken up just because they made me feel better over the last few years, without knowing anything about mast cell disorders).

I agree about trying one thing at a time, so will be trying to do that, although I don't know how long should realistically be allowed before evaluating results.  If it really takes 6 or 12 months for things like Algonot to work it's going to take a long time to work out what suits each individual  Undecided

So I'm looking forward to your observations.  Smiley

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 09/23/11 at 09:37:25

MastoGem-I found that eating real clean helps but what I found out is simple carbs make my symptoms worse. Lately I have been grain free(which I have done before). I always felt so much better when I'm grain free. Completly. Even no rice. I Follow more of a caveman diet/Paleo style. There is something about sugar, natural even fruit. The next day my joints hurt. Might be candidia. I don't know but when I stopped the rice and potatoes, I started noticing a difference in my skin and itching. Everyone is different and rice might be good for you. Hope you feel better soon.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print