Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
claritin & zyrtec at same time--is it safe? (Read 7442 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

claritin & zyrtec at same time--is it safe?
09/17/11 at 07:58:10

Hi everyone....I'm desperately in need of more antihistamines and taking so much benadryl has me too sedated to function .  I'm scared to mix H1's but I have heard that it's okay.  

My current meds are:
a.m.  Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 5mg, Midodrine 5mg, Zantac 150 mg

noon:  Midodrine
2:30 p.m.:   zyrtec 5mg
4:00 p.m. midodrine

pm.  Singulair 10 mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Zantac 150 mg

I wanted to add a claritin 5mg at noon.  Does anyone see any problems with this according to what the experts say?  I start reacting around noon everyday and wanted to see what everyone thought about taking claritin and zyrtec at the same time.  

THANK YOU SO MUCH for ANY help.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: claritin & zyrtec at same time--is it safe?
Reply #1 - 09/17/11 at 16:00:34

I've been using a mixture of Claritin and Zyrtec for more than two years.  Here's my list to compare:

Morning:
200mg Gastrocrom
20mg Claritin
300mg Zantac
10mg Singulair

Evening:
200mg Gastrocrom
20mg Zyrtec
300mg Zantac
20mg Singulair

As needed (usually not):
50mg liquid Benadryl
10mg Pepcid Complete

All of my doctors know that I'm on this combination of medications and doses... my primary doctor, my local allergist, my hematologist... even Dr. Castells and Dr. Greenberger.  They're all totally fine with it.  In the winter I might drop my H1s back down to 10mg at a time (if I'm getting too dried out), but in the summer I really need 20mg/20mg.  Heat is a trigger for me... hot car, hot pavement... bleh.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/17/11 at 23:47:04

So I apparently have MCAD...although I have this in my skin which I'm not sure how it related to MCAD.  My tryptase is normal.  Not sure about all that but I will post on it later.  Do you have systemic or MCAD or something else?  

I still struggle functioning on a daily basis.  I can't walk very far (from car into church) without feeling completely like I will fall apart any second.  I am able to do now more than I ever have been on these meds and I'm VERY thankful for that.  AND I'm thankful for you posting too.   Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 09/18/11 at 03:25:10

My tryptase is normal too.  I have MCAD... anaphylaxis, angioedema, chronic urticaria... the whole nine yards.

I grew up in northern Wisconsin and take my kids there every summer for a few weeks.  One of our rituals is spending the day at the Mall of America.  My kids love the amusement park.   Last year was difficult!  The park has a glass atrium, so after about two hours... between the sun, the heat, walking around, standing in lines... I had to rent a cart to ride around in.  Otherwise, there's no way I could have made it through!  This year (thanks, I believe, to the increased Singulair)... totally different story.  We had such a good time!  I spent the whole day on the rides with my kids.  My son took a nap, but I didn't need one Wink  

Anyway... I know the exhaustion you're talking about, but for most people there is hope.  Through medications, changes in my diet, and being careful about triggers I feel SO MUCH BETTER.  Keep looking for answers, even though with MCAD you might never get lab results to prove why you're feeling so awful.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/18/11 at 06:29:56

You may still be under-medicated, and, if you have digestive problems, you might not be absorbing nutrients you need.  Talk with your doctors about your continuing symptoms and see if you can increase any of your meds until you feel better.  Are you staying hydrated?  It's so important to help with fatigue and pain.

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print