Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headaches... Meds or Masto or Sinus? (Read 1626 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Headaches... Meds or Masto or Sinus?
09/18/11 at 14:38:16

Hello,

I have had horrible headaches this weekend, and can't figure out if it is my usual sinus headache/migrane combo that I've gotten since childhood, or if it is caused by my medications.

I have been on a pill a day of Loratidine for the past seven years.  Everytime I try to cut it down, I get bad headaches... I suspect a little withdrawl.

So now I am trying a new medication of 5mg Loratidine in the morning with 2.5 mg of Zyrtec at night (working up to 5mg).  I am Ms Lightweight on meds, so for me, that is  a realistic dose.

So ever since I started the Zyrtec (or withdrew the Loratidine), now I have this horrible headachy/sick-to-my-stomach thing that comes and goes.  Also, I started coughing and chills, which may suggest the local virus has made a visit to Jbean's door.  I am also under incredible stress right now with my job hunt, that might be the culprit too.

I am having a hard time figuring out what is masto, what is meds, what is a cold, what is hormones, etc.

Do you all ever get sick of playing detective?  I am sitting here wondering what to do as I feel  lousy.  The thing that really seems to help it all is eating a lemon poppy seed muffin and having a Coke!  Little caffeine and trace of opioid I guess!

ARGH! Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Headaches... Meds or Masto or Sinus?
Reply #1 - 09/18/11 at 16:36:11

Guess there are a lot worse treatments than a lemon poppyseed muffin and a coke!  If you have a fever above about 100.5, it's probably an infection.  Allergies and inflammation can cause your temp to be above 98.6, but not usually over 100.5.

Regardless, an infection can be a mast cell trigger, too.  So, if you need more meds, be sure to take them.  

I used to get those sick headaches, and I thought it was hormonal, but it could have been mast cells.

Yes, I get sick of analyzing symptoms to figure out if it's mast cells or something else!!  Hope you feel better soon!

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Headaches... Meds or Masto or Sinus?
Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 07:31:32

Thank God for my Smurfette Joan Smiley She can think so so much clearer than I can and has such great suggestions1! I agree with your line of thought and suggestions 100% . I just wanted to give you both a huge hug and tell you , you are in my prayers every day!!

The only thing I could say is that when I was pre-menopausal, I used to get horrible 3 day migrianes and the only thing that helped was Excedrin (has caffiene in it) I would also get hypoglycemic then (that was before I became diabetic)... so your muffin and coke makes perfect sense to me Smiley

Hugs to you both!!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print