Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My boring story (Read 2987 times)
cheryl
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

My boring story
09/12/11 at 03:32:20

Don't you get tired of going to doctors?

My primary or I actually see a PA wants nothing to do with mastocytosis. I asked for a referral to see Dr Patricia Lugar at Duke so they made an appointment with Dr Heather Gutekunst.

I started with panic attacks in my early 20s or so I thought. I went to every kind of doctor over the next 20 years except a vet. At 25, I noticed the spots. My cousin said get it checked out. The dermatologist did a biopsy and diagnosed urterica pigmentosa or mastocytosis. They told me because I was on impramine an antidepressant which contained anti-histamines, it was probably under control. They also brought in all the interns to see me because it such a rare condition. I was told that it could spread to internal organs or even blood stream and be a form of leukemia. Way to scare a 25 yo.

Because I lived in NJ, I got see the expert at that time, Dr Nicholas Soter at NYU. He said I had systemic mastocytosis. My spots weren't too many. Have blood tests every 6 months. Then he sent me on my way.

For almost 30 years, I've treated what I believe is mental illness. Twenty years ago, I was diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism. I just looked for a combination of antidepressants and benzodiphines to bring relief.

I did see a dermatologist 15 years ago. I had another biopsy which confirmed mastocytosis again. I was put on zyrtec and zantac. Had an upper GI which was inconclusive.

Then I went to a psychopharmacologist who was an authority on hashimoto's thyroiditis. He switched my thyroid meds. My anxiety went way down. He said I had auto-immune disease. He put me on meds that allowed me to start living a more normal life.

The past 5 years, the anxiety is under control but I still have times when I don't feel right. More and more I know its physical not mental.
I would get swollen glands in my neck and groin. Watery eyes, runny nose, exhaustion. Episodes of dizziness and vomiting. Lightheaded, woozy, itchy ears, itchy all over. Bouts of nausea and diarrhea for the better part of 30 years.

I'm concerned because my mother and grandmother have osteoporosis and diabetes. My grandmother passed away 2 years ago. She had Thrombocytopenia. I'm worried that there is a connection between mastocytosis and Thrombocytopenia.

So, I saw Dr Gutekunst at Duke on Friday. I'm in NC now. She did blood work, suggested I have another biopsy and come back in 2 months.

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: My boring story
Reply #1 - 09/12/11 at 04:39:03

Welcome Cheryl!

Thank you for sharing your story.  Your story is very interesting to me and very similar to my own.  I've wondered if others suffered from these same symptoms and taken the same path as I through psychopharmacologists and "every kind of doctor over 20 years except a vet".  

Have you started on Gastrocrom?  

I'm afraid that I can not answer your question about Thrombocytopenia.  

But I can tell you how the treatment has worked for my depression and anxiety symptoms - that is what I most wanted to know when I started on a treatment for MCAD about two months ago.

I've been waiting to post this follow up to my story - until I knew for certain it was working.  I monitor my depression and anxiety symptoms with the Burns Depression Checklist (free online).  For the past decade I've nearly always scored in the 51- 100 "severe" or "extreme" depression.  

I don't want to jinx anything, but I have been scoring a 7 or lower for a few weeks now.  It did take 5 or 6 weeks on the Gastrocrom; a LOT of anti-histamines; and a strict diet.  But it seems to be working --KNOCK ON WOOD.  This past Friday I went off the diet and ate a small piece of fish.  I honestly never noticed having a problem with it in the past, so I was very surprised when it plunged me back into "HELL" - honestly the best way to describe such intense emotional pain.

I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer your question.  There are some smart, wonderful people on here.  I just wanted to say 'hi' and let you know that I understand and that the meds have helped me.  FYI - I do not take any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds and have not for years, because they didn't help me. Good luck.  Please contact me if you think I can help with anything.  

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 09/12/11 at 05:06:52

Hi Cheryl!

Yes, thrombocytopenia has been connected with masto.  If you google the two, you will find information.  Osteoporosis is well known as caused by masto.  

You said you are Duke, you have two options of doctors who know what they are doing, Dr. Schwartz in Richmond and Dr. Afrin in Charleston.  It might be worth considering doing a bit of travelling.  

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 09/23/11 at 06:58:01

Hi Cheryl, GREAT to have you here!!
We all have many many similarities. I have had the spots (rash) since I was in my early 20s.. I also had panic attacks back then but never knew it was connected to masto. I have blood changes, including purpura (small dots of a blood rash under the skin) and erythema (the thrombocytopenia under my arms when the masto is active).

My blood tests are usually normal when Im not reacting--but when I do react, my blood will thin and I will bleed under the skin. Ive had medical people ask me if I took a blood thinner when they were drawing blood or starting an IV, and and Ive also refused to take blood thinners at another time--and explained to all of them the problem I might have with bleeding while reacting. That was a snart question Cheryl!

Welcome again, glad youre here!
hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print