Send Topic Print
Generics (Read 4335 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Generics
09/10/11 at 14:19:44

Hello,

Just wondering what generics you all have tried and what your thoughts are on their use?

I have been using generics from Sam's Club (Member's Mark) and I tolerated them o.k.  (generic loratidine).  I am going to try the generic Zyrtec now.

For me, I tolerated this generic better than the brand name.  Tolerance depends on the ingredients in the specific brand and the individuals reaction to those ingredients.  For me, this has helped on medication costs as well.

Just wondering what generics others have tried and what your experience with them has been?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Generics
Reply #1 - 09/10/11 at 16:12:44

I've been using exactly the same generics as you, Jill, with great success.  It's the only reason I have a Sam's Club membership.  Recently I tried Target's new generic form of Allegra and it gave me a nasty headache, so I immediately went back to my trusty loratadine... it's much cheaper and seems to work better for me.

Anyone else have a negative reaction to Allegra?  This was my first bad reaction to any kind of antihistamine... I was surprised.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/10/11 at 16:32:42

I had problems with generic allegra 180mg. I too got headache, dizziness, and messed up vision. Someone else on here mentioned trying the lower dosage. I bought the recently over the counter brand name allegra 60mg but still haven't gotten up the nerve to take it. I also bought a bottle the name brand childrens dye free liquid. I know allegra works well for a lot of people and I'd love to be one of them.

I do great witht the costco generic zyrtec, by the way, and the cost can't be beat.

I never used to be so nervous about taking new meds. I've got to get past this anxiety, especially since there might be something that could really help me. Anyone have horrible anxiety about new/different meds?

Kristi

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 09/11/11 at 16:28:44

I have noticed that some generics (walgreens for one) have different dyes in them- and that worries me because dyes are a possible trigger for some of us. Pretty sure it was the Allegra. Zyrtec now comes in a clear gelatin capsule, not sure about generics for that, or Zantac. You can sometimes find coupons online too if that helps anyone who can only take name brands... As always-
hope this helps someone!

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/12/11 at 14:16:01

Heather, I had a bad reaction to Allegra too, that's why I don't take it.  Got really bad headaches, and if I take it more than a week, I start getting horrible nausea and my arm starts to go numb!  Won't ever swallow that again.

I totally get where you are coming from Kristi.  I am such a lightweight when it comes to meds that I am scared when I try them.  I am usually by myself when I do, and that is never fun.  Just a little bit of anything makes me feel like I am going to drop dead sometimes.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #5 - 09/13/11 at 05:43:05

Girls:
What I look at is the inactive ingrediants since I had a bad reaction to Ketitofin pills that have cornstarch as an ingrediant. I tried Allegra but pain worsten, saw has cornstarch so stopped. Same thing with zrytec, generic has cornstarch. It's high in sulfites, if you have problem with them like I do. Regular zrytec doesn't have it. Have tried the new gel zrytec, no problem just a little hard to swallow for me. So far me inactive ingrediants are something to look at.
MikeV

IP Logged

kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 09/13/11 at 06:12:22

Mike,

I feel like the inactive ingredients are a problem. I'm just having trouble determining which ones are setting me off. I wish there weren't so darn many in each med!!

I noticed you're from St. Louis. I am too. Nice to see another local on here.

Kristi

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 09/13/11 at 19:02:14

I had a really bad reaction to Allegra. Nausea, close to vomiting, muscle aches, felt like I had a bad flu. So no more Allegra!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 09/14/11 at 17:29:21

Jilly B! Me too! It all depends upon the inert ingredients, for me certain generics are actually more pure than the name brand. Allegra is one of em, TEVA's is way better for me, so far members mark (Sams) and Kirkland (costco) brand of allegra are made by Teva. Also Kirklands (costco's ) zantac.  The first time I tried zantac I used brand specific and ruled it out the reaction was so horrible.... years later once I discovered those darn inert ingredients.... and needing more histimine blockers in my mix I decided to try another version and thank God it helped. I have to thank Deb for discussing how much zantac helped her with the sever gastro issues. I finally decided it was worth another go. The miles I have driven to find brand specific medications!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print