Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Off meds...ugh! (Read 8781 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Off meds...ugh!
Reply #15 - 09/07/11 at 04:32:53

Oh I really feel for your Kim! I'm sure it sucks BIG TIME!!!  I just wanted to send a supportive message letting you know I'm rooting for you.

Also, I can relate to what you wrote, ".. I would flinch and jump as if someone were startling me.." during the night.  Unfortunately, I'm very familiar with this creepy, strange feeling.  As far as I'm concerned it is definitely related to masto and it's really awful.  I've spent entire nights like that -- just as I would begin to nod off my body and mind would "jump".  Argh!  I really hope you don't have to spend a week like that!!  I'm really not crazy about benzos but if I had to go off these meds for a week and then was expected to drive somewhere, you bet your behind I'd get my hands on some to get some sleep so I could make it through the week.  Otherwise I wouldn't sleep at all and my body would be soooo tortured by lack of sleep that I'm be reacting continuously to everything.  

Good luck!

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #16 - 09/07/11 at 09:54:50

The allergists may say that prednisone won't affect testing, but here is what the drug overview says, "Prednisone is in a class of drugs called corticosteroids. Prednisone prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation."
http://www.drugs.com/prednisone.html

And talking about the use of corticosteroids for chronic uticaria:

"Corticosteroids stabilize mast cell membranes and inhibit further histamine release, as well as reduce the inflammatory effect of histamine and other mediators. "
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/137362-treatment#aw2aab6b6b2

If it prevents the release of substances (like histamine? Leukotrienes?) that cause inflammation, it seems very possible that it will alter test results as much, if not more than antihistamines. If it stabilizes mast cell membranes, it could also affect testing.

Of course you should go with what your physician says, but I always look into things as well. I've been told so many things that are clearly wrong by physicians, that I always do my homework, and make my decisions based on all the info I can find.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #17 - 09/07/11 at 13:30:34

Wow, many, many good questions and good responses and points made. Thanks for the support as well.
I think I am just going to stay off as much stuff as I can (except the heart medicine), grit my teeth, park my butt, cut my fingernails off/put socks on my hands from the itching, eat the most blah and plain food and TRY HARD not to take it all out on my family while I get through this. I can do this! I'm just too desperate for answers to take any risks.
Thanks all!
Kim

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #18 - 09/08/11 at 11:52:20

FYI... Hubby is going with me to South Carolina so I will not be driving myself.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #19 - 09/08/11 at 16:05:46

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I'm thrilled to hear he's taking you to see Dr. Afrin!!   100 points for your husband!!!  Cheesy

When is the consultation Kim?

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #20 - 09/09/11 at 00:41:53

This coming Monday is my appointment. And FYI I'm feeling some better. Tummy and bones are still a mess but im not vomitting anymore and my BP and heart rate aren't as wacky as a few days ago. The lump in my throat is really present. Five days down and just six more days of being off meds to go.
Got a call from pathology lab. My last GI biopsy retesting is done and ready for me to pick up report today. I'll let you know what it says but I have a feeling it will be nothing.
Later.
Kim

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #21 - 09/09/11 at 02:08:35

Spoke too soon and jinxed myself. Seems my tummy didn't want company from breakfast. Ugh!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print