Send Topic Print
Flushing ?? (Read 2985 times)
Stacy
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
MA
Flushing ??
02/22/11 at 14:08:53

I'm probably going to call Dr. Castells office if this happens again, but not sure if anyone had any advice.

My son (22months) has been flushing a lot more lately.  I have given him benadryl the last 2 days because he has been flushing and some of his UP & mastocytoma have "flared"  honestly...I have not changed anything in his diet or our environment.  We were home (he did not go out) the days this happened.  

Thoughts???  I'm wondering if maybe he needs med adjustments.  We have increased all 3 of his meds 1x since he started, Zantac from 1.0ml to 1.2 ml, zyrtec from .5 tsp to 3/4 tsp.  hmmmmm

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Flushing ??
Reply #1 - 02/22/11 at 14:13:04

Hi Stacy, sorry to hear this news!

Yes, most definitely call Dr. Castells for several reasons, to help identify what the flushing is from.  Perhaps it's due to his being older and bigger now and thereby needing more meds.  Also, due to the fact he's a baby, their medications react within their bodies differently than with us adults.  Due to his body build and weight, these are adjustments that a doctor has got to make.  It wouldn't be hard to over medicate a baby.  Also, you've got to see that the flushing my be due to some kind of virus he may be coming down with.  It's hard to know and this is why it's best if you speak with her and see if she can help you figure out what to do.

Hope he gets over this quickly!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Stacy
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
MA
Reply #2 - 02/22/11 at 14:46:07

thanks...  

I'm trying to remember how much he has grown since his last med change.  We saw dr castells 2 months ago, so he's prob up a couple of pounds since we saw her.  

He was sick last week and did have some flushing w/that, but also had a low grade fever, so it could have been that.   but no flaring of his "spots"  one of the ones she has classified as a mastocytoma was really flared last night.  

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/11 at 03:17:07

Hi Stacy ,

I cpmpletely understand your , where has this come from Smiley . I get it often .

I am a nurse , of 15 yrs and have little ones so am talking about infections in little ones

I don't know what you mean by a low grade fever . But i would see this as 37 to 37-7 ish.

Virus's give high grade pyrexias , swinging down with meds but bang streight abck up when they wear off .
Bacteria maintain a moderate - high pyrexia with some relief from meds , but not complete .

If everyone else is well , it is also unlikely to be a virus Smiley or food poisioning Smiley

If your son was on no pyrexia controlling meds it is unlikely a virus or a bacteria .

With mast cells activating , we can run a low grade pyrexia . I have low grade most evenings in my reactive time Smiley
If he is flushing it is more likely his mast cells Smiley My bowel will spasm and I will have flushing and either vomiting or loose stools .

I don't know if you son complains of feeling hot ?? I am permenatly hot . If I have a bug - virus or bacteria I feel cold inside and on my hands -if it is activating my mast cells .

I am obviously speaking completly new to you . I just wanted to let you know these things as it may help you decide which Smiley .

If I don't know I take antihistamines first ( wait 10mins )  and paractamol - tylenol and deal with both . Unless it is very obviously an infection ( virus or bacteria )  with high temp and other symptoms ( runny nose , cough , sneezing , hurts when weeing , coughing up green stuff ) .

But infections nesecerily cause mast cells to come into action , but in us , they overeact .

So I take both paracetamol ( tylonel ) and antihistamines . H2's zantax and the like work the best for me . i do not know what age they can be used from .

Dr Castells is obviously the master and will be able to build your plan for these situations .

i hope he feels better soon Smiley
Josie

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/02/11 at 06:13:08

I get major flushing if I "cheat" and eat cheese. fyi

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 03/02/11 at 06:45:23

I found that after the flu I had about 6 weeks ago I had an increase in my spots and I had more flushing episodes. I don't know if it was related or not.
Melissa

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/02/11 at 08:29:04

Hi Starfish ,

We all hear you xxxxxxxxxxxxx The loss of food favorates is very hard on all of us and the odd cheat , although it confirms exactly why we shouldn't eat it , is enevitable Smiley my biggest miss is tomatoes esp passta as I had got rid of jars and was  that . Then I made the tomato connection and my fave spaggeti bologanse is not the same Sad .

My major triggers I do never and would never touch . The consequences are too major for me .

Alcohol is a very good example . I was never much of an in doors drinker . But I do miss my girlie nights out coming home tipsy and having a fry up to settle my tummy the next day . The re instaement of girls nights out ( even without alcohol or reacting to all the alcohol in the air , will be a very happy day in Jose land .

I found I was staying in to protect myself . I trigger with perfumes , chemicals ( bathroom cleaners esp service stations ????? why ) . So staying in by far and away my safest place  I also tire very easily . But that is improving xxxx I am now not embaresed in my chair . I was very much so . i didn't know who i was anymore . Now I do . i have found myself again , a different , but the same me . I felt very disassociated from my body . i felt it had let me down and i didnt know how to be safe . Now I know i am safe , my epi pens work so I dont need to live in fear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I also see my 36 yr old head helping my 85 yr old body . not as i felt before that I have no control of my body and it is stopping me living which was how I felt before .

I faced my fears and limitations and saw how by being young I could deal with most with care of myself xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But I dont want to be house bound forever at 35 , so  now . i am making the effort to go out. I need help because I use a wheelchair now , due to fatigue and pain , but im doing it Smiley last week the cinema ( movies ) and the week before new clothes . I have to be on a good day but every trip out is helping me feel happier . fresh air alone helps ( pollen season in the day aside )

My next plan is sitting outside a pub ( bar ) in the summer on an evening as the alcohol fumes from others will be blown away and am always hot so ill be happy in the evening breeze Smiley

I have the type of personality that will not allow me to give up Smiley

Jose xx

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 03/02/11 at 10:53:30

Hi Melissa,

The increase in spots and flushing episodes was likely due to the flu.  When we get sick, our immune systems get revved up, and that can include mast cells.  That happens to me.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm getting better from the flu and then a day or two later I'll notice increased inflammation and flushing.  I increase my meds whenever I'm sick.

Hope you're feeling better now!

Joan

IP Logged

cjoy
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Nebraska, USA
Reply #8 - 03/25/11 at 14:52:47

My son's face is red frequently.  When he goes out in the cold it stays bright red and is warm to the touch.  Other times it is frequently red for no apparent reason and stays that way for very long periods of time.  This seems to have increased since he was put on all the antihistamine and stomach meds.  Is this flushing or could it be a response to the meds or something else?  It seems he has red cheeks most of the time lately.  Could  this be flushing when it is near constant?

Now is the moment of opportunity ~ Choose Joy!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #9 - 03/25/11 at 18:12:38

Some people do react to certain antihistamines, so you might want to try changing them and see if there's still a problem.  Do check with the doctor first, though.
« Last Edit: 03/26/11 at 07:06:50 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

Ardyth
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 09/07/11 at 07:39:15

Like Jose, I react to cleaning chemicals too.  Now I use all natural products for EVERYTHING in my home and on my body, and that seems to have reduced flushing episodes.  My flushing comes before horrid cramping and illness.  A couple of times I've lost consciousness. My question is how do you know when to use an epipen?  I'm a newbie.  Don't understand this stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print