Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
URGENT Tips for Masto patients facing this hurricane (Read 2557 times)
Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
URGENT Tips for Masto patients facing this hurricane
08/22/11 at 16:58:16

For those of us who live in Florida (and there are about 6 on the board in this state) we have concerns about the new Hurricane that some of you may have not thought of. First, as this storm moves, other states may be affected and other masto patients included in that. Here are some tips to help you all prepare and stay safe;

You dont have to be hit directly to have damage from storm winds affect your life. I few years back I was without electric for 3 weeks, without phone for 2 weeks and we were supposedly hit with tropical storm winds only. It took the National Guard to pass out water and ice for us--but that didnt start until a week and a half after the storm hit. Prepare to be on your own for at least 4 to 5 days.

The State of Florida does NOT send out 911 vehicles or staff after the winds rise past 35 mph. That can be a long time with no help so make sure you are where you need to be before the storm hits. IF you are like me and the heat is an issue for you, think about either spending the night in an ER lobby or with friends and/or relatives who have a generator and are setup ready to go. I will be heading to an ER for safety if it hits this area.

Remember to do some important things--make sure your ER notebook is printed out and ready... with things like your most recent labs, contact info, etc. Where ever you spend the time, make sure someone there knows you have this illness and  what you might need in an emergency. Make sure you call your pharmacy tomorrow and refill/gather as much of your meds as you can before time. Remember after the storm passes, if there is no electric, the drug stores and other stores will not open until they can run their cash register. Buy the meds you need AHEAD of time! Keep enough with you for 2 to 3 weeks.

IF you have a freezer, its time to fill containers to freeze in there. This is a lifesaver when there is no electric and no fresh water. Two VERY important things... buy a manual can opener and manual phone--the modern ones will not work without eletricity and you cant depend on that. Make sure your cell phone has a charger to use in your car--and fill that gas tank up . Also stop and get cash enough for a few weeks from your ATM. Of course buy food and water and batteries and keep a radio handy. In this part of the state (north central)  WKTK radio FM, will stay on 24 hours a day.

Some other points to help you--in the past, we had damage from tornados and wind with trees down and we were basically trapped as far as access to our vehicle--, so make sure you park your car where trees wont block it, in case you need to get out in a hurry. Also clean your house and do laundry--it sounds weird but if you lose electric for the next 3 weeks, a clean house and clean clothes are great to have.

I wish you would spend the night in a medical setting but if you dont or wont, these tips might make it safer for you.
Hope this helps.
hugs to all,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: URGENT Tips for Masto patients facing this hurricane
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 00:28:18

Great tips, Ramona! Thanks for writing them!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 02:06:00

Awesome advice Ramona! ALL very important things. When we were bit by the April tornados here in Alabama ALL these things mentioned were important. Thankfully we were more prepared then most. Not knowing, of course, ahead of time there were some things we could not have been ahead of the game plan on.....like laundry! I spent HOURS hand washing laundry in our creek and couldn't use my hands for a couple days after that. SO yes even keeping laundry caught up would have been a good one for me.
May I also add that if you do not have a gas cooking stove...stock charcoal. If you have to be w/o electricity you will want to cook up all your frozen meats (for the family of course since us masto ppl cannot eat it after the first day it's been cooked due to the histamine release)
It is so wonderful of you to post this for everyone!
Thanks!

IP Logged

ADork
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
Castle Rock, Co
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 03:23:26

Great Tips Ramona...

I was living outside of orlando in 2004 when Charlie and friends kept deciding to visit.  

Kim... perfect about the gas stove/grill!!

We stocked on water and ice (bathtub filled & every freezer and cooler with ice).. and the normal batteries,candles etc...

Our laundry room was the "windowless" room in the center of the house.  We didn't have a fireproof box so we put all of our plastic wrapped and protected paperwork in the dryer, to futher protect it from water and whatever could come.  and filled our washing machine with ice  - then added juice boxes, milk, snacks etc... when the ice melts you just put the machine on a spin cycle to empty the water..

Good luck to all, I hope Irene goes further east out to sea...

Cindy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print