Send Topic Print
Moles or freckles? (Read 10783 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Moles or freckles?
01/25/11 at 05:31:40

Okay so I have a new Dermatologist appointment next week. I called and spoke to the doctors assistant and asked if she had any masto patients or has experience in diagnosing TMEP or UP. The assistant called me back and said yes. Hopefully she isn't lying.
I'm hoping to get a second opinion and have her look at the new red spots I have gotten, pretty sure they are the same thing as whats on my chest. Anyways something else has happened, the past 10 days or so I have been getting these new spots.....totally different looking. These spots look like moles or freckles they are clearly brown not red and they are really small the size of a pencil tip. I have probably gotten like 30 new spots. I don't know much about moles or freckles, but what from what I do know usually you get them where you have had sun exposure and a lot of them are in areas that don't see the sun. The spots seem to be in groups of a few here and there. Sometimes I can see where one is going to develop and then bam the next day there it is and some of them look like blood blister dots and then a few days later its brown like a mole. They are flat not raised. Is this a mast cell related thing, to get lots of moles? I kind of think my body has some weird issues with melanin because I have several areas on my body that I have a patches of hyperpigmentation. I hardly had any moles before this and now these new spots are popping up everyday, I'm trying not to get upset but I got one on my face the other day. Then my mind starts thinking all these thoughts like skin cancer. Lol! Sorry but sometimes I have problems with worrying too much. From what I understand about UP these don't seem to fit the bill. Does anyone else have problems with moles or is there a connection with masto and melanin issues?

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Moles or freckles?
Reply #1 - 01/28/11 at 08:22:32

I dont have any problem with moles--it isnt related to Masto as far as I know. I DO however have hyper melatonin and pigmentation on my arms and legs. Thst is definitely related to Masto cause its in some of my more active masto areas. I had one area like that before I developed symptoms, now I develop discolored areas easily, when healing from almost anything. I had my skin biopsies done this week and one tissue sample was taken from the biggest area in hyperpigmention. The other  was taken from my freckle rash left shoulder and the 3rd was from the brown raised rash right inner thigh.
Hugs,
me

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 01/29/11 at 03:38:43

Wow, thats interesting Ramona. You will have to let me know what the biopsy says from those areas. I'm glad you finally are getting biopsies.
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 01/29/11 at 03:59:38

Thanks Hon, and I will let you know!!
Hugs,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 01/31/11 at 10:21:38

Ramona- Was it you who mentioned petechiae is common in masto people? I wonder why? Do you know? I had it when I was pregnant and the doctors told me it was cause by increased blood flow and not to worry and anyways I'm getting it again. Some of the areas that I'm getting them in, turn brown a few days later like the freckles or moles(whatever they are). This is sooo weird. Anyways I was just wondering if you know what causes this.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 01/31/11 at 10:41:45

Hi Missy,

Am I correct in remembering that you also have antiphospholipid syndrome?  When you have a mast cell disorder (any type) plus an autoimmune disorder (any type) it's easy to get petechiae.  The reason is because vasodilators (histamine, leukotrienes, PAF) make antibody-antigen complexes stick to your small blood vessels... and other areas too like your kidneys, heart, eyes, part of your brain, etc... In the summer of 2009 I had a huge shower of petechiae on my legs from riding the "Tower of Power" at the Mall of America... never again!!  My platelet count is fine, but my blood vessels just couldn't handle the added stress (way too much gravity).

The brown spots that are sometimes left behind are called PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation).  They might look kind of ugly, but they won't hurt anything.  I would recommend checking out your platelet count and complement levels, but the petechiae probably won't hurt anything either.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 01/31/11 at 10:52:58

Yes APS! Thank you for explaining. I didn't think the APS would have anything to do with this since my body clotts easier than others. Gosh the body is soooo wierd. So do those brown spots go away? I wonder if this is why whenever I get acne or a scar from something it takes forever for the hyperpigmentation to go away.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 01/31/11 at 11:17:51

The brown spots should fade over time... they're not as dark or permanent as moles.  Unfortunately, I'm always getting new ones Wink  Here's an article about it from Medscape:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1069191-overview

(If you can't see the article just create an account... it's free.)

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #8 - 01/31/11 at 12:05:14

Wow, interesting read. Thank you! Now I'm wondering if all these freckle/moles and petechiae have something to do with the cold/flu I had a couple of weeks ago. It was a bad cold/flu, It took like 2 1/2 weeks to really get over it and I was sooooo fatigued. I hardley ever get sick too. Anyways, this PIH has got me thinking maybe this is why I'm getting all these freckle/mole looking spots and just being sick has something to do with all these new spots which started right after I started getting better. Some old scars I have even a flesh colored skin tag I have turned brown, like over night! Sooooo wierd.
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #9 - 01/31/11 at 12:20:53

Yes, that could be the cause.  Your immune system attacks viruses with antibodies... generating antibody-antigen complexes.  Your lymph nodes swell up, you get that "achy" feeling all over... for most people those are the only symptoms.  They don't get things like petechiae or damage to their kidneys, heart, etc... unless it's a really serious infection like TB, malaria, CMV, mono, scarlet fever, H1N1, etc...

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #10 - 01/31/11 at 12:28:48

Heather- Your knowledge is impressive, thanks your sharing what you know. It's much appreciated!
Melissa

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #11 - 01/31/11 at 12:42:47

My pleasure!  At this point I have a pretty good basic understanding... and I use Google to fill in the rest Wink

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 01/31/11 at 14:48:37

I noticed something interesting lately regarding spots and rashes.  I had this funny little rash under my chin for the longest time.  It was not uticaria, not TEMP, non of that.  The dermatologist has seen masto spots before, and he said NO, it's not that, not rosacea... maybe dermatitis?

Well, last month they found out my prostaglanidins were high, so they started me on a little bit of aspirin therapy, low dose.  Now the spots are going away.... must have made my own unique kind of spots! Cheesy Cheesy    OH BTW this is Jilly... or as my chummies call me Jilly-bean...  Just changed my handle!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #13 - 02/01/11 at 06:12:54

That is very interesting J-Bean. My appointment with the derm is tomorrow and I plan on asking her for a tryptase serum test and I'm going to ask her about the prostagladins test.
Melissa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 02/02/11 at 01:33:01

Missy,

Whenever you have doctors run blood tests, you should have them run the CBCs as a routine as well.

I do this with my doctors - whenever they run any kind of blood tests I always have them throw in CBCs.  These exams are the best for keeping an over all view of our health for masto causes anemia and it's important that we track how our red and white blood cell counts are going.  

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print