Send Topic Print
Calling all TMEP'ers (Read 6639 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Calling all TMEP'ers
08/16/11 at 06:14:01

I just wanted to start this thread because recently in the past few months I have seen more people with TMEP join. Since it is supposed to be more rare it is usually harder to talk with other TMEP'ers. I know we  masto people (UP, TMEP, MCAD, etc) have many of the same systemic symptoms. But I was interested in learning and talking with some of you who have TMEP.....what medications seem to help you more with your TMEP rashes/spots? Has anyone tried laser therapy with success? What makes your spots worse? Is there certain symptoms that are more persistant or worse than others? Have you found creams that help. Does anyone know of doctors that have more knowledge in TMEP?
I have heard singular helps with TMEP but I haven't noticed a difference yet.

I have fibro as well as TMEP. The medicine I notice helps the most is the zantac 300mg twice daily. Ice packs help when I'm itching really bad and the medicine ointment called clobetasol sometimes helps itching. The symptoms that are most bothersome and dominant are spots/hives and joint pain and fatigue. What about you?
Melissa

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Calling all TMEP'ers
Reply #1 - 08/16/11 at 12:05:07

Hey Missybean ;
Wow. Never thought Id be GLAD to see more people with TMEP !
You know what I mean...You can read my earlier comments that go more in depth to my experiences. I dont itch so much when I get an
"attack", its the weakness and aching that bother me the most. The nausea seems to be getting worse. I was already on Advair n Pro vent n a nebulizer for my asthma. Im also a seasonal allergy sufferer and dust/dust mites are also major triggers. Cleaned out my closet one day & got the worst lesions-welts on my hands that burst open n hurt like heck! I suspect you should avoid melons too (read your other post).  My allergist/immuno says TMEP is one of the rarest forms of Masto-which in itself is rare- Lucky Us   Undecided
Anyway, Im just learning too from all this wonderful info on this fantastic site. I am lucky to have such great friends and family; and now I thank God for all the special people here too who are supporting each other through this !

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 14:11:03

Hello guys, I'm a "lucky one" also.  Also systemic masto, verified by BMB. Creams don't help....gastrocrom huge help (4 x a day)  I never had laser treatment, but tanning bed makes my skin feel good. I don't tolerate singulair. Hydroxyzine at night, stops the itching. I also take 2 allegra a day, and one omeprazole.  I still don't usually feel well...I just keep marching on, and am thankful for an almost normal day here and there.

IP Logged

Sunny
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/17/11 at 16:52:01

I also have TMEP.  My main symptom is flushing and feeling like a hot water hose is in my chest.  I awaken several times a night with this feeling and sometimes have flushing in the day.  When I am having an attack, I will have a flush that makes my hair and the back of my neck all sweaty.  Also stomach upsets.  I had a BMP and I am systemic.  I take Acephix - expensive, but I have tried all the others and they aren't effective, along with zantac, zyrtec, singular, nambutone for joint and muscle pain and lovastatin for chlosteral.  I will soon be going to physical thereapy for bursitis in my hip.  My spots don't erupt and are not itchy.  I was diagnosed by my dermatologist.  Previous to that my primary care doctor had no clue what was wrong with me.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 08/18/11 at 04:17:08

Sunny and Starfish, did you guys get diagnosed with systemic masto after you had been diagnosed with TMEP? Did you have TMEP for a few years and then it went to systemic? Was there a major increase in symptom sevarity when it went systemic?
Starfish- The cromolyn didn't help me, at first I thought it did but later I felt no difference. Placebo effect I guess. I didn't help at all with diarrhea issues. I have been in a flare since May so I stopped the cromolyn, no sence in paying for an expensive med that isn't helping me. I'm trying to get my allergist to prescribe ketotifen, there is a local pharamcy that compounds it here.
Thanks for sharing guys.
Melissa

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/18/11 at 04:18:38

When I first started feelin really bad- my family dr. ran all kinds of tests, n when she couldnt figure "it" out- brought up Fibromyalgia. I felt that was her only "out"; & I wouldnt accept that diagnosis or the meds that went along with it. At that point, I was already on like 13 meds, including 4000iu.s of fish oil, & 4000iu.s of vitamin D, aspirin,etc.etc. No WAY was I taking another pill ! Well then my "crisis came about with the hives n scabies n the dermatologist. When my fam. dr. got the TMEP report, she called me n said she'd never heard of it before n had to research it. Thank God my allergist is more informed and wants to keep learning more ! Sometimes he gives me too much info n I cant remember it all. Brain Fog = (
I find that spending time outside in the sun helps both my mood and with "hiding" the spots.  Also, you can go online for coupons for some otc antihistamines, inhalers, etc.
I do as much as I can on my good days, cuz ya never know when a bad day is gonna hit. Make sure to rest between catching up. N try to keep a log of what precedes a TMEP attack: foods, cleaners, etc. As this is still fairly new to me, I'm hoping this will help me identify what sets my "spots" off. Most times I can guess-like if I ate spicy food, or pulled weeds without gloves,etc. etc.
The brain fog , and the joint pain are what bug me the most. Ive had hot flashes for 20+ years, so the flushing Im used to, n the upside of stomach upset is that now Im a size 8- thats what I tell myself when I feel like puking all day anyway...
Hopefully there's some info here thats helpful to you fellow TMEPers ! Smiley

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #6 - 08/18/11 at 05:37:00

iamnotalone- It is possible you could have fibromyalgia too, there is a lot of people on here that got that diagnoses. There is even some researches like Dr. Blanco of Spain believes that fibro is possibly a mast cell disease. I will include a link for you to read that talks about the study he did. Did a rhuematologist diagnose your fibro? That's who did mine. If you tested positive for 11 of the 18 tender points then you probably DO have fibro. I know what you mean about not wanting to take another pill. I was in denial/or non-accepting about the diagnoses too. I've kind of accepted it now. I can't seem to find the link to that study, I will send it to you when I find it.
Melissa

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/18/11 at 15:50:19

Missybean yes, TMEP, then systemic...however, I had been sickly and knew something was very wrong. For years my family MD would say, something's not right, we just don't know what it is. Therefore, the development of the TMEP "rash" led me to research....and surprise! Personally I think I have had it for years, so can't answer if it got worse.                   Oddly enough, I have chronic constipation. I was taken off gastrocrom, and had horrific stomach pain, so went back on.   Sunny, the hydroxyzine really helps me at night and the gastrocrom helps with the "overheating".

IP Logged

Sunny
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 08/18/11 at 16:47:47

Before I was diagnosed with TMEP, I had night sweats, felt very tired, and just didn't feel well.  My family doctor ran many tests.  They originally thought lymphoma because I had enlarged lymph nodes.  That's when I had a BMB.  Still didn't know I had TMEP!  I went to the dermatologist for something totally unrelated and casually asked him if he knew what these spots on my chest where.  Oh my, he said it was very, very rare, but he thought I had TMEP and biopsied one of my spots.  Sure enough that's what it was.  I was just extremely relieved.  Not that I had TMEP, but finally had a diagnosis.  He started me on the antihistimines.  I then found Dr. Akin and saw him until he went to Boston.  I had my BMP sent to him and that's when I found out I was systemic.  What is hydroxazine?  Is it a prescription med.

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #9 - 08/19/11 at 04:01:25

FYI when I said tanning bed...I mean 5-10 mins max. I can't be in the sun for long before I become deathly ill. Sorry, hydroxyzine is Atarax...yes, prescription.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #10 - 08/19/11 at 04:59:46

Sunny, hydroxyzine is a 1rst generation H1 blocker. here is some info on it.
Melissa

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000796/

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 08/21/11 at 04:38:22

Hey Melissa;
My family doc. had suggested "it" might be Fibromyalgia when she couldnt figure out why I was feeling so crummy all the time. I was never tested for it, cuz all the other stuff happened and I ended up with a skin biopsy from dermatologist confirming TMEP.
You all are so knowledgable- and like I say- sometimes my allergist is a little too cerebral n I cant remember all the info he throws at me. I have some questions that occurred to me; some just curiosity...
It seems that more women than men are affected by Masto ? How do you know if you're Flushing vs. hot flashing ? Does anyone know if Flu shots are safe for us ? And what causes the Irritability & Brain Fog ? Is it mast cells doing that ? Some days I just try to keep my mouth shut cuz nothing comes out right, or else Im a raving witch. And, is Cromalyn the same as Ketotifen ? Okay, thats it for now. Next time I visit my allergist- I will ask him a question & have him wait til I write the answer  Huh
Lori

IP Logged

Sunny
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - 08/22/11 at 09:40:17

Thanks for the info on hydroxazine.  Do you take it and also take Zyrtec and Singular?  If this posts, this is my 3rd try.

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #13 - 08/22/11 at 15:49:44

I take allegra, but not singulair....for some reason don't tolerate it well.

IP Logged

Sunny
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 08/23/11 at 02:03:52

I can't tolerate allegra.  It is amazing how the different drugs affect each of us individually.  I will ask my doctor about hydroxizine at my next appt.  Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print