Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help tweaking meds please (Read 6339 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Need help tweaking meds please
08/11/11 at 03:21:59

Thanks to Ramona's advice I've upped my meds but I'm a little unclear about all this.   I'm going to ask my doc, but I need to give her a proposed meds protocol otherwise I'm thinking I'm not going to get what I need.  Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm currently on:

Ranitidine 300 mg 2x/day
Gastrocrom 5ml 4x/day
cetirizine 10ml 2x/day
Progesterone 25mg or 50 mg depending on time of month

I want to add Claritin? Fexofenadine hcl, but when and what kind the 24hour D??

Thanks again. You guys have been great!

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Need help tweaking meds please
Reply #1 - 08/11/11 at 17:52:13

Great choices so far.. ok I would add the claritan one at night cause it makes you sleepy. I would add one 24 hour allegra--you will probably need this twice a day later but start at once a day in the am and see how it makes you feel.. Of course talk to your DR about all of this.

I would add Singulair, one in the am... that is the med that blocks leukotrienes. Remember whenever you are adding a new med--only one at a time--every 2 or 3 days... let your system get used to one before adding another. Now also remember to tell someone you are trying a new med,, just in case.. and ALWAYS try the new med in the morning--your histamine level is the highest around 2 am, dont put anything heavy on your system at that time. Hope this helps!!
Hugs
Ramona

PS I want you to know Im NO expert hon.. I only know what has helped me--and I learned it from everyone here, who so graciously helped me when I was new Smiley You'll be the expert soon and help us help new people who are scared and need you!!

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #2 - 08/15/11 at 10:21:47

Ramona urged me to add allerga so I replaced the 20mg of claratin my husband was taking in the morning and what a good move!!! it works so much better than the claratin and he has a lot more energy. Thank you Ramona!!!

The first 3 days he was on it though it was as if he swallowed a bag of speed, he was up for 18 hours straight! Dr Castells said i should have broke the 180mg in half for 3 days and eased into it.

Ramona...he takes his next dose of meds at 4pm (20mg of zyrtec, 300mg of zantac, 40mg protinix) i was thinking about switching the zyrtec to the allerga? any thoguhts?

Patricia

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 08/15/11 at 10:53:53

Thanks for the kind words--but-- Lisa is the one who suggested it to me or I would still be suffering.. Thank you Lisa!!

Patricia, its hard to say--I would play it by ear--is he getting worse symptoms?? Have you asked him how he would feel about trying this?? He knows how it effects his body.. I do know that if I have any trouble, I will add a third dose in the middle of the day with no problem. Have you asked Dr Castells what she thinks of it??

Let us know how it turns out!
Love ya
Ramona

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 08/15/11 at 10:57:49

PS Gem, I would get 24 hour but not the D. D means it has a decongestant in it and will make more lung secretions for people who have thick mucous from infection to be thinner and cough up.. You dont want that with our antihistamines--they will dry out and make it hard to cough them up.. Get 24 hour but no D.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #5 - 08/15/11 at 10:59:14

PSS always, always, always ask your DR!!

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #6 - 08/15/11 at 11:21:59

Havent asked Dr Castells but its weird usually around 4 or 5 pm his stomach blows up, gets gassy and crampy, sometimes he even gets the chills...
Im just wondering if the allegra wouldnt work better then the zyretc

I usually always ask the doctors first but I hate constantly bothering them with little questions...Id rather bother you guys! Jk  Smiley

Patricia

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 08/15/11 at 13:53:13

Maybe this is a situation where you could try a smaller dose of allegra in the afternoon, and see if it helps?? Im curious to see how it makes him feel.
hugs
Ramona

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #8 - 08/15/11 at 15:20:29

Im going to try it tomorrow! keep ya posted! Smiley

Patricia

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #9 - 08/17/11 at 14:21:59

Switched his afternoon Zyrtec with allegra and he seemed to tolerate it fine...no crazy speedy episodes and he actually slept till 6am today, no night sweats and felt pretty good today. Give it a few more days...

Patricia

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 08/17/11 at 14:57:17

Hey gang, decongestants are NO NOs!!!  They are known triggers!!!   So any kind of medicine which has a decongestant in it could and probably will give you trouble.

I also don't think the 24hr times release antihistamines are a good idea.  They don't seem to be as potent as we need them which is why the authorities don't put us on them.  The half life isn't good and it won't get us through the night I believe.  The 12 hour meds are better.

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #11 - 08/17/11 at 15:10:16

I'm really glad to hear that allegra worked for your husband Pat!!  Being on the RIGHT med is very important!!!!

Mona, you are a dear!!   Kiss

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #12 - 08/17/11 at 18:24:42

Patricia,

If your husband is getting symptoms around 4 or 5 p.m., the medicines might not be lasting long enough in his system.  Instead of waiting until 4:00, you might ask the doctor about his taking them around 3:00 instead.

good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 08/18/11 at 00:38:15

Lisa is right about the decongestants. I have a funny story about that! Before I was diagnosed, my husband and I headed to Hawaii for our anniversary. I got sick before leaving and so loaded up on everything bad for mast cells before getting on the plane (didn't know these would make me worse). I took cold medicine, cough medicine, and who knows what else. By the time we landed in Maui, I was feeling really ill (afraid to fly also, so the stress further degranulated mast cells). We got to our hothouse resort, the Five Seasons Resort, and I couldn't wait to get to my room. I got to the room, went to the bathroom and got sick and promptly passed out. One of my worse attacks. They called the ambulance, who took me to the tiny hospital where they had no clue how to help me. We told them to give me
Saline and nausea meds (because that is all we knew helped at the time). I was better by morning and able to stay in Maui, but I was wiped our for a few days. (Not the way you want to spend your time in Hawaii). Now i know what I did to cause the problems....

In regard to the time release meds: isn't the regular zyrtec and allegra all time release for 24 hours? I take those and they are good for me. It may be that is the reason I have no problems ovrebound, because the med is working for 24 hours.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #14 - 08/18/11 at 07:57:18

I have stared to give him his meds at 330 and I switched the 2 zyrtec he has been taking with an allegra...seems to be going okay.

I was wondering about the D as well but knew that he was never congested so figured why give him another ingredient.

He takes the 24 hour extended release as well but they dont last 24hrs much less 12 hours...we are lucky if we get 7 or 8 hours.

Does anyone elses stomach blow up and then start to move around, its distended right under his ribs and then you can see his stomach swell and go lower...you can hear it as well and sounds like faulty plumbing.
I call it the masto alien in his tummy that gets woken up...it doesnt happen all the time but usually late afternoon..sometimes before meals but usually after meals. Sometimes hell belch, pass gas or have to run to the bathroom.

Patricia

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print