Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh damn! Another food is out (Read 3458 times)
MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Oh damn! Another food is out
08/12/11 at 09:19:27

I already avoid a lot of different foods and I just reacted to something I could  eat - watermelon.  Damn it!  I really feel at a loss with this food sensitivity thing.  

Is there any chance I'll be able to add back some foods after I've been on the Gastrocrom and allergy meds for awhile?  If not, I'm pretty sure that I'll react to everything I eat one day or I'll start 'bawking' like a chicken, whichever comes first.

I think I won't bore you (or me) with the long list of foods that I can't eat.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

(Fortunately it's a somewhat low key headache, nausea, slight labored breathing thing rather than a big, totally uncomfortable reaction.)

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Oh damn! Another food is out
Reply #1 - 08/12/11 at 11:59:19

Did you take any allegra or zyrtec as soon as you felt the symptoms? Catching the symptoms quickly with histamine blockers will make you feel so much better!

I can now eat a ton more things than I could before I began my meds. I still can't eat the more majorly upsetting foods, but I can eat the ones that only mildly bothered me before meds. Everyone is different and we all react differently. With Idiopathic Anaphylaxis, which I recall you might have, you can react to a food today and not tomorrow (technically). I tend to find, though, that the carrot that bothered me before will still bother me now. The coffee, which only slightly made my stomach hurt, is now find to get due to my meds. On a bad day, though, I can drink it and my GI system will go crazy.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/15/11 at 19:18:34

Melons can cause a reaction in people who are sensitive to ragweed pollen.  If you're allergic to ragweed, you might react to watermelon during ragweed season (right now in a lot of places).

Joan

IP Logged

MastoGem
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 08/16/11 at 05:13:29

I'm not sure I understand.  I took some dye free liquid benadryl when the reaction started, but you take and extra zyrtec or allegra?  Interesting...  No, I haven't tried that.  I recently added the allegra and a second dose of zyrtec, but I had not considered adding a third dose of one of these in the event of a reaction.  I can try it. Thanks.

And thanks Joan.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — EKR

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #4 - 08/18/11 at 08:03:00

Both my daughters suffer from something called Oral Allergy Syndrome and when they eat apples, melon, carrots, celery, strawberries during certain times of the year they react to it in their mouths..they get itchy tongue, mouth swollen lips.

If you have a ragweed allergy your body mistakes the melon for the ragweed.

According to their allergist its not life threatening and told us to avoid those foods, drink a lot of water, pop a zyrtec and it should go away in 30 min.

Patricia

IP Logged

zippy890
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/14/12 at 09:43:41

Melons are a bad trigger for me.   But I also get symptoms of Fructose Intolerance, I believe.   A forum discusses that:

http://hfiinfo.proboards.com/index.cgi

Many of the symptoms of fructose... um... metabolic problems (there are several conditions, I believe) sound similar to mast cell problems.

I don't know what to make of it all.   I just know that if I have too much fructose I feel real bad, and have symptoms similar to the ones described by intolerance.   I believe I have a mild form of fructose intolerance.

Just FYI.
Todd in Tenn.

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/17/12 at 06:44:21

FYI;
For those of you who are allergic to ragweed-seems to be quite a few of us - Mums are a member of the ragweed family. Yes, they are pretty, but keep your distance... Sad
lori

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print