Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Comfort Food (Read 8828 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Comfort Food
01/19/12 at 06:14:49

O.k., not sure where to post this, so threw it here.  It is cold and snowy and awful here today, and I am sick with a bug-a-boo which gives me masto "unsettled" feelings.

Now, for those of you that can tolerate cheese, milk, eggs, spices etc., here is a link to my favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipie.  You will have to judge whether it is right for you or not. This seems to be THE thing I can eat that always pulls me through.  The Panko crumbs are a must and take it over the top for yummy goodness!  When I can't eat anything else, this is what I run to.  Enjoy and don't think about the calories... Roll Eyes

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe/...

IP Logged

iamnotalone
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Comfort Food
Reply #1 - 01/19/12 at 06:55:56

J;
You hit the nail EXACTLY on the head girl !
"Unsettled" describes it Perfectly!!!
Im definately gonna try that recipe. ('specially since it's Alton's & not one of Paula's) Wink Wink

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 01/19/12 at 07:37:25

Now this just isn't fair! Why can so many of you tolerate cheese and dairy and gluten? I'm going to go cry in the corner now.
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #3 - 01/19/12 at 08:08:38

Hey Jill,
I could eat that dish...if I took out half the ingredients! Haaa!  Sounds yummy, though!!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #4 - 01/19/12 at 09:07:25

Do I ever miss mac and cheese!! Hopin I can toelrate cheese and gluten when I reintroduce them!

Thanks for sharing! Cool

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 01/19/12 at 12:41:14

I rarely can eat aged cheese, but I eat fresh (not aged) cheese, no problem.  They're expensive, but worth it!  Some of the fresh ones that don't bother me are:  

fresh mozzarella (the kind packed in water, but you must change the water every day and either freeze or consume it within 2-3 days after opening), feta, chèvre, ricotta, and cottage cheese.  Cheeses aged for 4 months or more have the highest levels of histamine in them.  I also check the expiration dates carefully.  

Of course if the problem is milk products, there are only vegan cheeses left.  And, be sure to read the labels.  Some so-called natural and fresh cheeses have chemical ingredients in them.  They all have milk and/or cream, some sort of coagulant (like rennet or enzymes), and often salt.  Otherwise, there isn't much required.

On the horizon is a special bacterial strain that's being developed for the cheese making industry because it kills the bacteria that produce histamine!  Can't wait!
« Last Edit: 01/20/12 at 10:01:14 by Joan »  

Joan

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #6 - 01/19/12 at 17:19:37

exciting about the cheese Joan! Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 01/20/12 at 04:53:02

Keep us posted Joan!

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/22/12 at 11:49:13

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to adapt that recipe using some lactose free milk and fresh cheese, etc.

There has to be some way to give you "mac and cheese please" folks who have intolerances a break.

I will have to think this one over, maybe do a little experimenting with it.

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #9 - 01/23/12 at 05:07:51

It's not so much the lactose that bothers me, it's the casein. I tested reactive to it in a Elisa IgG food test. Some people don't consider those accurate and some do not. Either way I know I can't have dairy.
Melissa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #10 - 01/23/12 at 06:37:25

There's an Italian mac and cheese recipe that uses a white sauce and parmesan.  I make white sauce with non-dairy almond milk or oat milk.  Maybe there's a vegan parmesan substitute.

Regardless of the test, if you know it's a trigger, it's a trigger!

Joan

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #11 - 01/23/12 at 07:13:52

There is a great vegan cheese called Daiya, and its pretty good. But I worry about the yeast in it. Here is the ingredients.

Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavors, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).  

Inactive yeast? I have to read up on that. I can make cream sauce from cashews and things like that but many of the recipes call for nutritional yeast. I'm guessing the yeast is high in histamine.
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print