Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oral Contraceptives and Menstruation (and Ibubrofen, Aleve etc) (Read 7631 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Oral Contraceptives and Menstruation (and Ibubrofen, Aleve etc)
08/08/11 at 12:26:51

Hi there,

I am desperate.......do most of you feel that your period trigger symptoms and, if so, have you thought of suppressing your periods? Along the same vein, do you find some oral contraceptives (more or less estrogen vs. progesterone) make a difference in terms of side effects? ANY advice would be much appreciated. I tried to take two low dose pills (LoLoestrin 24 fe and Loestrin) but - we think - because of a fibroid we've id'd on a sonohysterogram, they are not strong enough but i'm scared to increase the dosages.......

ALSO, do any of you take ibuprofen or aleve even though they are on the 'be careful' list for cramps? I am asking not only for cramps but because i also have a slipped disc and we're struggling to find any form of pain management that will work......

Thank you so much!

- Brita Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Oral Contraceptives and Menstruation (and Ibubrofen, Aleve etc)
Reply #1 - 08/08/11 at 13:56:40

Dr. Greenberger told me that the only safe pain medications are Tylenol, tramadol (Ultram), and dilaudid (in a crisis).  Personally, I can't use anything that thins my blood (aspirin, NSAIDs, turmeric, etc...), but other people on this board have reported that NSAIDs don't bother them.  You could try it and see how it goes, but don't do it when you're alone... have someone around in case you have a bad reaction.  Same if you try an opiate-derivative like hydrocodone or fentanyl.

I've been having problems with severe abdominal pain starting a few days before my period.  Tramadol takes care of the pain, but it also makes me reaaaallly sleepy.  Dr. Castells thinks I might be allergic to progesterone plus some foods that are not showing up on RAST.  She has me doing a strict elimination diet... all I'm eating is meat (chicken, turkey, buffalo, lamb), sweet potatoes, rice, and blueberries.  It seems to be working.  I've had some mild cramps, but nothing like usual... I haven't had to take any pain medication (!!).  The true test will be if I can get through the rest of the week without any serious pain... I'm expecting my period to start within the next 5-7 days.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #2 - 08/08/11 at 16:21:07

Thx so much, Heather! I soooo hate experimenting with new drugs but i think i may have to Sad Have you tried suppressing your periods (feel free to not reply if that is too personal) for 3 - 6 months at a time to see if that provides at least some relief part of the time?

That is what we've been trying to do for me.....

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 08/08/11 at 16:34:16

I have a Mirena IUD, which for "most" people either makes your period very light or stops it completely.  Ha!  Not me.  I'm afraid to try any of the pills that contain estrogen because there's a history of breast cancer in my family.  So... although it sounds like a great idea to suppress your periods, it doesn't seem to work for me.  Roll Eyes

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #4 - 08/10/11 at 09:44:33

Thanks so much for your post, Heather! This is so interesting to me - does this mean you can't take any oral contraceptives since i believe almost all of them have some progesterone (that would enable you to suppress your periods a bit). I've had tons of hormone issues so would love to know what she's doing to help figure out if this might be an issue for you and, also, what one can do about it if it is!

Have you seen Castells in person or is this all via email? I think i may need to get my butt back up there to see her and greenbgerger - though i think she is now booking into Dec! Eek!

I am so jealous you have a great hematologist AND a blood test that explains the root of your issues......one day i hope to get a concrete test but until then......i'm still muddling through and dealing with all sorts of other medical issues that just keep muddying the waters.

i hope you are doing okay, my dear.......

Lots of hugs,

Brita (p.s. my dr's in NYC are still debating the MCAD diagnsosis......it's so frustrating. Can you remind me what your primary symptoms were that led you down this path?)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #5 - 08/10/11 at 10:19:38

The Mirena uses time-release progesterone.  It's a smaller dose than you would get with a pill, but if I really am allergic to progesterone (the next step is a skin prick test) then I'll probably need to have the Mirena taken out.  The problem is... I'm also allergic to latex, so that pretty much rules out every easy kind of birth control... pills, condoms, a diaphragm (unless I can find a brand made of silicone), an IUD... ugh!  I've only taken birth control pills once in my life.  They made me bleed non-stop for three months until I quit taking them.  There are some other drugs that can stop your periods by suppressing hormone production... Lupron, danazol, etc... but they have some side effects that might make you think twice.

I saw Dr. Castells and Dr. Greenberger in person in June! Smiley  I hope they can figure out how to control this abdominal pain without turning me into a zombie.  Otherwise, I'm doing really well!!  I feel so much better than I did two years ago... there's just no comparison.  

The main thing that led me to this diagnosis is repeated anaphylaxis in the absence of a known trigger (like a food allergy).  Looking back I had other signs... repeated "food poisoning," dizziness, flushing, mild kidney damage... but without the anaphylaxis I never would have put the pieces together.  The symptom that led me to my hematologist is swollen lymph nodes.  After ruling out malignancy and Castleman's disease he said it must be part of my (autoimmune) mast cell disorder.

I hope you find the answers you need very soon Smiley

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Reply #6 - 08/14/11 at 14:20:58

Thanks so much for your post! Can you remind me how your anaphylaxis presents itself which sounds like it was the final key to your puzzle? Thank you!!!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #7 - 08/14/11 at 15:21:32

The really bad attacks are classic... hives from head to toe (OMG does that itch), vomiting, diarrhea, tachycardia, intense dizziness, a feeling of doom, etc...  I haven't had one like that for a while.  Thank God!  Now my attacks are more subtle.  For example, the last one happened when my daughter was playing with a "koosh" toy.  She was blowing it up like a balloon and then letting it fly around the room.  My throat got itchy and I started feeling dizzy.  I told her to stop playing with the toy, but I spent the rest of the night with a headache and a "heavy" feeling in my chest (even after taking some Benadryl).  NOT GOOD.  I didn't have to use an EpiPen or go to the ER... this time... but a bad attack like that could be fatal.

I think being on a mast cell stabilizer (Gastrocrom) has really helped to slow down my reactions.  I've also become a lot better at avoiding my triggers and treating myself at the first sign of symptoms... not waiting to see how bad it gets.

Not everybody experiences anaphylaxis exactly the same way.  My son, for example, is allergic to peanuts.  Even a small exposure gives him hives and makes him throw up.  One of my daughter's classmates, on the other hand, is also allergic to peanuts... only his reactions are primarily respiratory (no hives).  It would be easy to get the wrong impression that he's having an asthma attack instead of anaphylaxis.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print