Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TERRIBLY SUPER SENSITIVE -- STRESS ANAPHYLAXIS (Read 15973 times)
Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
TERRIBLY SUPER SENSITIVE -- STRESS ANAPHYLAXIS
08/07/11 at 03:50:15

Hi Everybody, I'm looking for some serious feedback please.  

Some of you know me by now and know that I've got some pretty strange reactions to things.  Any kind of emotional basis for these reactions has been ruled out.  We're beginning to think it's neurological.  I go through what is called a Prolonged Syncope.  This is an extremely rare reaction that only masto patients do and it's when the inflammatory responses of the mediators are so intense that they case the vascular system to totally open up and the blood flows too swiftly through the veins and creates a syncope which is of a longer duration than normal.  This has been studied only once by cardiologists but never neurologists.  The patients are known to be either totally unconscious or at times semi-consious.  The syncope can go for as little as 15 minutes or for hours at a time.  When I asked amoungst us about 2 years ago if anybody else went through this one woman said she was seen in syncope for up to 8 hours following surgery.  Another said up to 2 hours following anaphylaxis.  I've been seen up to 2 hours following things like colonoscopes and my BMB, 5 hours following gallbladder surgery and 6 hours following CT contrast injection.  I do this ALL THE TIME!!

Dr. Escribano calls this Stress Anaphylaxis and I've spoken with him about this several times because I seem to be the champion amongst of for this syncope.  I've written to masto authorities around the world trying to find another case like mine but even they have never heard of a case like mine!

Well, it's not just to these major provokers that I react to.  I will also react to the EFFECTS of medications like laxatives and blood pressure meds which bring my pressure down too quickly.  The higher my pressure was, the stronger the reaction when the medication kicks in.  It's not the medicine itself I'm reacting to, but the effect of it.  Laxatives are not know to create anaphylaxis amongst us, but if they cause my intestine to release with too much force, it will put me into anaphylaxis.  This Dr. Escribano calls stress anaphylaxis - something that stresses the system.  If lightening hits too close and frightens me too quickly, this will trigger me!  If I travel for too long of a distance, I will faint!

Yet, this isn't the only weird stuff I go through.  In December I had to do an MRI without contrast.  I was perfectly fine prior to the exam - no flushing even.  Yet, no sooner did the machine begin to do it's job, I began to flush and I fainted!!  Has anybody else done this?

Yesterday, I had to do a nuclear scintigraphy exam.  I was given the nuclear isotope solution which is considered completely innocuous!  I researched it and although this scan has been used to detect bone lesions in masto patients, there's not a single case of any of us reacting to it.  There's not a single case of ANYBODY reacting to it!!   I DID!!!   As the solution was injected my vein began strong stinging.  Today my vein is inflamed and bruised looking! The contrast did it!!  Yet, as it began flowing through may veins, I could feel changes going on!  When it reached my right shoulder and neck, I began feeling it rise up into the right side of my head and with it I began to flush and feel bad.  I felt it going down into my chest and with it began the dyspnea!  I got so fuzzy headed I almost couldn't ask for my purse in Portuguese (I live in Brazil)!  The doctor who was attending was called and he was shocked to see what I was going through for I got very weak and was flushed enough to be rashing on my neck and chest!  Fortunately the antihistamines are very effective for me and I didn't faint, but I would have if I hadn't responded with the meds quickly enough.  But this reaction was very strong and I had to take a 2nd dose of antihistamines about 20 minutes later because I wasn't well at all!  I ended up having to hit in with the Prednisone too later on and keep my antihistamines very high, but fortunately I didn't faint nor did the reactions progress.  I kept it all in check, but here I am now 2 days later still dealing with the ongoing reactions to this substance.

My doctors are going to do a neurological investigation into this.  We feel that something more is going on that makes me so very supersensitive.  To the very best of our knowledge, there has never been a formal investigation into those of us who are known to have this stress anaphylaxis.  

This is why I'm writing.  I'm taking a poll amongst us to find out how many of us react to physical stimuli like this.  For example, I've had a vaginal exam cause me to immediately faint.  Dr. Castells said that this was caused by the release of acethyl Cholamine and this in turn triggered a vaso-vagal reaction.  My doctors, when they have pressed on my vagus nerve under my sternum or in the upper abdominal region, this will trigger reacting and fainting.  About 2 months ago I was feeling the scar tissues on my sternum from my recent open heart surgery and I caused myself to immediately faint!  If the doctors ask me to hold my breath for an exam, or to breath deeply to listen to my lungs, this will case me to faint!!   These are neurological symptoms, not cardiovascular!!  What is the issue here?

Please, if any of you find that your bodies are extremely sensitive to physical stimuli, when undergoing medical testing of some sort, or if your breathing causes you issues, or if you've been triggered by MRIs or some kind of situation similar to those which I am describing, (not to foods or medications please), my doctors would really appreciate having some feedback please.  

If you would rather not post this publicly here, then please write to my email with your replies.  

I would greatly appreciate your input please!!

Thank you!!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Re: TERRIBLY SUPER SENSITIVE -- STRESS ANAPHYLAXIS
Reply #1 - 08/07/11 at 04:07:28

Oh sweetie, what a terrible time of it that you go through. Of course I am no where near your sensitivity I will get faint when asked to breath deeply and sometimes when I get suddenly startled. But that's about it! I hope they can figure something out for you, SOON!
Hugs!
Kim

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #2 - 08/15/11 at 10:27:44

Hey Lisa,
do you want feedback about people that go into syncope from stress or become anaphylaxis?
We just had testing done at NIH and my youngest daughter has exercise and stress induced anaphylaxis. She will start to get hives, nausea and wheezy and strenuous exercise will cause her to because pre anaphylactic.  

My husband just had an MRI with out contrast and did start flushing, sweating, nausea but managed  to finish the procedure.

Patricia

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 08/15/11 at 14:13:33

There you go Pat, an MRI without contrast!!!  

Kim told us that Brie has reacted with an MRI.  I've had flushing and fainting with an MRI without contrast and here your husband has it too!!   They say that the psychological stress causes this, but I'm not so certain that it's merely that cause I  was perfectly fine before getting into the machine and while I was in it, but when the turned it on, this is when the fun and games began!!!  It wasn't the noise - I had headphones.  I don't feel that I was emotionally upset by it, I think it was the magnetic pull going on!!

I'm convinced that there is a very strong neurological connection here!  I only wish I could get doctors to study it so perhaps we could find out.  I know I can't fix it, but I hate it when they always infer that it's out mind playing tricks on us!!  I feel that until they have had some serious neurological studies done on masto patients, that even in spite of the stress related hormones being strong triggers for our mast cells, that it's still not right to just pooh pooh us in saying the "stress anaphylaxis" is mental/emotional!  

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they think that we patients who go through stress anaphylaxis have anything emotionally wrong with us.  I fully recognized that the brain is an incredibly powerful organ and that the chemicals released in the brain and that the brain will release in other parts of the body are incredibly potent and powerful.  I've seen how I've reacted when people put me on the spot, or gave me an emotional shock!  I've felt the changes going on after I had a big scare.  I know that this is all reacting brought about by my emotions and the reactions are incredibly fast and strong.  I'm not arguing against this.  

But what bugs me is that although the brain and the hormones related to "stress" anaphylaxis are indeed potent, it still doesn't explain the neurological aspects of how this disease works.  To have triggered myself into syncope merely by feeling the scar tissue on my sternum is what has me convinced that THERE IS SOMETHING MORE THAT THEY'VE NOT REALIZED!

You see, we patients have a big edge on this disease that the researchers do not!!   WE KNOW what it all feels like! THEY DON'T!!!  They don't know what may have triggered us and how and when.  What they have is head knowledge, not body knowledge and although they know all the facts and figures, they still don't know how it feels!   There are times when we can have clues but not the understanding and this is where we can't go further for although what we say makes no sense to them, we KNOW what we are feeling!!!

It gets discouraging at times!!! Undecided

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #4 - 08/15/11 at 15:18:50

Its interesting that you say that because I when my husband gets startled its so much worse than if I get startled... when he gets startled its magnified times 10 and he can start to react (sweating, gassy stomach, flushing you know). When we have to go some where he over thinks things and goes over every little detail, gets stressed and starts reacting. If he has to speak in public hell start to sweat, sometimes when we go talk to these researchers or an important doctor he'll get nervous, sweat profusely and react.

About the magnetic pull from the MRI machine my husband has said that at times when hes on the computer or ipad he starts sweating & flushing...we have these grounding pads that we use to sleep on and use when on the computer...its supposed to ground you and cut out harmful effects from the electromagnetic field. When he uses the grounding pad and hes on the computer no sweating or flushing...really interesting.

Its almost like every stressful aspect about life he hyper exaggerates or its magnified 10 fold which makes him react.

Im sure his brain is releasing certain stress hormones that must trigger mast cells. I believe there is so much doctors still dont know and have no idea how difficult it is to live with this day to day. All the big and little symptoms and mysterious things that happen to your body.
I tell people my husband is a porcelain doll and Im the crazy glue trying to keep him together.

Patricia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/15/11 at 19:11:23

It always seems to me that when my mast cells start to degranulate that my body is producing adrenalin to try to stabilize them.  Before I was diagnosed, and still sometimes, it seemed my body couldn't stand any stressor at all.  It could be my kids acting up, heat, sitting in one position in the car too long, illness, allergies, bad news, and more.  Any stress would trigger flushing.  Loud noise or discomfort of any kind did the same.

As I became more stable, the stress reacting has slowed a lot.  One thing that has been a help, especially at times of a real crisis, is lorazepam (Ativan).  It can stop a stress reaction in its tracks, especially if I take it along with Benadryl.  It might be worth asking the doctor for a Rx to take before doctor appointments or other possible situations that might be stressful for him.

Joan

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #6 - 08/16/11 at 10:04:55

Before my husband got sick my daughters and I would joke that he was bipolar and road rage was his middle name. Since his symptoms have calmed down his temper has as well. As tragic as this past year has been my husband has become much nicer, more patient and gentler person...we give him a lot of leeway now when he has his masto moments.  Smiley

Patricia

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 08/16/11 at 14:47:24

Always happy when someone has something positive come out of this experience!

Joan

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 08/16/11 at 17:24:36

Lisa,

Don't know if this will help at all, but....  Regarding stress anaphylaxis, I flush from stress.  An Ativan/Benadryl combo usually does the trick.  I did react to what I think was CT contrast, but it could have been stress.  There's no way for me to tell the difference.  I've also felt like I was starting to react when I'm in distress from needing a bathroom, for example, when we're on the road going somewhere and no gas stations in sight.  I've thought that could be a vaso-vagal event.  

While I haven't noticed reactions from CTs without contrast or MRI's, I always pre-medicate before them, just in case.

Don't know if this means anything, but I have a friend who has some nerve damage in his hip area, and whenever he tries to go for a walk, after a block or so, he has to use the bathroom and quickly.  His doctors think it's neurological.

It all seems connected, but how?  I have no idea....

Joan

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 08/17/11 at 06:59:52

Just wanted to note that I react around electronic devices...such as computers, microwaves, cell phones, etc.  Some people are bothered by electromagnetic fields and perhaps that is what happened during the MRI episode when the machine went over you.  Wish I could help with the rest.  Thinking and praying for you Lisa

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 08/18/11 at 15:09:33

I get some goofy reactions at times too.  If I get anxious in general, then I kind of tend to get more of the syncope like symptoms.  I think emotional upset is a huge triggor for me.

I started to do yoga relaxation tapes now when I feel like this, and it has helped somewhat I think.  I almost wonder if it doesn't train your body to handle stress better physiologically? Makes you more vascularly-fit, so to speak, better able to tolerate pressure changes?  No basis for this, just my own thinking and perseption from my own case.

Of course, prayers help a lot with that too!  Sending you tons of prayers Lisa..

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #11 - 08/18/11 at 16:21:22

Same for my husband, I was going to start meditation and recently read a book about transcendence meditation but I  got turned off when I called to take a class and it's a 1500  commitment! Over four days! I don't think I need to pay 1500 to have someone teach me how to meditate, seems like a racket.

I will still follow up with the meditation/yoga but I just won't be a certified transcendence meditator!

Patricia

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #12 - 08/18/11 at 16:38:14

I'm recently learning that loud, abrupt noises sets me on the edge of a reaction. Thankfully I'm able to quickly work at calming myself before it gets out of control!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #13 - 08/28/11 at 01:02:45

Well for those of you who have been wondering where I've been, Iv'e been BUSY!!   But I've also been sick and then also my computer crashed!  One thing after another!  Ugh!!

Thankfully I didn't have to confront the contrast again.  The doctor was not wanting to put me through it, thankfully, for he realized that if my reaction was caused by an IgG mediated reaction then my taking the contrast a 2nd time would only make it WORSE!  

This reaction was much stronger than I had anticipated.  I was really very stupid and stubborn about it and I really should have gone to the ER when I began reacting, but I stubbornly didn't want to face this option, but I see in retrospect that I should have gone.  

Unfortunately this is where I feel that my small town Brazilian doctors really fall short.  I have the option of two hospitals in my town.  We have more hospitals but they are not major hospitals and they could not handle me if I were to need their ICU, so I have but these two hospitals to run to.  The one hospital has a lab which does not do the the tryptase exam, the other does, but it takes almost a month to return so it's pretty useless for immediate assessment if I'm in anaphylaxis.  My experience with the one is that the doctors attitudes are to suspect emotional causes when a woman is brought in.  They see the dyspnea and the flushing and the abdominal pain, but from speaking with my doctors I know that the ER doctors will almost always automatically offer a sedative (Revotril) whenever a patient is brought in.  They've given it to me twice and a third and fourth time I've openly refused it!  I already know that with my hypertension they are NOT going to believe me that I'm in anaphylaxis!  I would have to have one of my doctors on the phone insisting upon this with this or they won't believe it!  And the problem is that I've been in several crisis situation with them already that had lasted for at least 2 hours a stretch!  They don't know how to deal with me!  So, in order to avoid the emotional stress and frustration this causes, I've got a mentality of I'd rather face it on my own with my antihistamines and prednisone, which is exactly what I did.  Yet, in retrospect, when I think about the fight I had all day long and how my antihistamines barely kept things in check, I realize now that this was very foolish of me, for it could have backfired.  

Yet it was a good experience to go through for it made me WAKE UP to the potential of what could happen and the next time I have  a strong reaction to something where I've got to hit in with my antihistamines shortly one after the other, then I know that I'm in trouble and must go to the ER.   You see, I'm very accustomed to dealing with my attacks in this manner and feel comfortable with how well I respond to them, so this is why I didn't recognize that I was dealing with a much more serious reaction and needed to go to the ER.   I'm now working with my doctors in order to prepare for the next such situation so that I can feel at peace if I have to go to the ER.  

The next thing that happened was that this reaction to the contrast kept me right on the very edge for 2-3weeks!  This is normal for me, but it puts me through a great deal of reacting and I went through several milder episodes of anaphylaxis and syncope the entire time.  Any little thing would trigger me and I was in a situation with my work where I had no way I could stop working.   I had a deadline to finish up a census of my school for the government and it was a difficult process since my school was being registered with this government census for the first time so it demands a great deal of information which I had to log in and get in under the deadline.  Not an easy task.  

On top of this I also had to have a doppler sonogram of my kidneys done.  In order to make the vascular system visible I had to take ducolax and anti-gas meds.  I've had a prior reaction with Ducolax when it has taken effect, but I've also taken it and not reacted when it's taken effect so it was a situation where I knew the potential to react was there, but without a choice, so I took it.  Sure enough, when the medication took effect, and forced my intestines to work the processes of forcing contractions of my intestines put me into a reaction!!!  Yet, instead of subiding within a day or so, my intestinal system became so irritated and upset by this medication that it took an entire week to finally settle back down!!!  And this put me back on the edge again!!!

Then the last thing which kept me from being here was that my computer crashed!!!  I got a really nasty virus which closed down my computer and when the techie guys rebooted it, there was very little they could salvage!!  BOO HOOOOO!!!! Cry  

So, a long story short, I'm back online, doing MUCH BETTER and able to be amongst my friends once again, but unfortunately, my poor computer is limping along now and it's going to take me a bit to be able to replace it.  

So, ALL is WELL and I am FINE!!!!!  Wiser for the experiences, but fortunately not worse for the wear!!!   Smiley

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #14 - 08/28/11 at 10:24:37

Welcome back! We've missed you  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print