Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Troubling tolerating Gastrocrom (Read 2039 times)
Nicole
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Troubling tolerating Gastrocrom
07/31/11 at 08:19:44

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, but not new to mast cell issues! I've been 'battling' gastrointestinal issues for almost 5 years. I also get what I call 'hive bumps' when my mast cells rise, especially around my menstrual cycle. My doctor for the last year, Philip Miner, in OK City has been trying various meds - one at a time.

I'm on a VERY limited diet (4 foods- chicken, turkey, potato, broccoli) because everything I eat seems to bring strong stomach reactions and diarrhea.  Cry

I have tried to tolerate Gastrocrom on and off for several years. I can't ever seem to even get up to even a total of 2 vials a day. Has anyone had this issue?

Dr. Miner wants me to try Ketotifen, and has ordered a Rx for that. I'm also on Zyrtec, Entocort (corticosteroid), Ursodiol (bile reflux issues) and can tolerate only a small amount of Zantac - like 1/2 75mg pill per day. Sometimes I can't even tolerate that.

I've tried Allegra, and that didn't work at all. I was sick to my stomach from just one pill and spent the day on the toilet. I haven't tried Singulair in years, but it too gave me stomach cramping. PPI drugs, like Prilosec, give me severe stomach cramping too.

I'm very discouraged that so many meds that could help me are not tolerated by my body.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Troubling tolerating Gastrocrom
Reply #1 - 08/02/11 at 13:57:54

Hi....I have an awful time with foods.  Same thing.  I had some allergy testing done and realized I was allergic to dairy & soy.  Stayed away from those things then I did the histamine free diet.  I eat no leftovers.  None unless they are frozen.  I tried gastrocrom once....whoa...what a reaction.  Never again, let me tell you. I wish I could tell you something to help you.  My mast cell doc is pushing for doxepin...maybe you could try that.  My allergist told me it is 80 times stronger than benadryl.  I got stars in my eyes when he told me that b/c I love my benadryl---helps me feel normal again.  Hope you get some help soon....this is such a tough condition, hang in there.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print