Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
brand name vs. generic Zantac (Read 4814 times)
jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
brand name vs. generic Zantac
07/29/11 at 09:54:18

I started taking Zantac today for the first time.  I bought the brand name thinking it would be less likely to irritate me.  I know that when we first start a new med our mast cells get stirred up for a few days.  Today I have been quite a bit wheezier than usual (I have asthma) and it feels like drainage down the back of my throat.  My throat also feels tight or swollen.  It has actually felt that way for a few days , even before I tried the Zantac.  My heart rate was up this morning, but is better this evening.  My bp was 117/75 and heart rate 72.  That is Great for me!  

I am wondering if these side effects are just from my mast cells being stirred up because this is a new med or if I'm reacting to something in the med.  I'm about to run to Walmart and get some of their generic and try it tomorrow morning (think I'll skip the Zantac tonight).

Thanks in advance for any advice! Smiley

Jenny

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: brand name vs. generic Zantac
Reply #1 - 07/29/11 at 15:39:31

Everyone is different. I only take brand Zantac and because it works so well for me, I have never tried the generic (although it would save me hundreds of dollars per month!). I believe that Ramona found that some generic zantacs affect people differently that other generic zantacs -- meaning that there is not just one generic zantac! So, the question is which is the best generic zantac? Ramona  Smiley, what did you figure out about this?

I would say that from your description, you sound as if you had the symptoms before you tried the zantac. So, if that is the case, then you can't really attribute those particular symptoms to the Zantac.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 03:41:10

True!  I will await Ramona's conclusion about the generic Zantac...  Smiley

Jenny

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 07/30/11 at 14:03:21

I take nothing but generic meds if I can!!!   Here in Brazil our heath insurance doesn't help out with our meds, so we pay cash for everything and cry, cry, cry for a discount!!!   Yet for this reason I go for generic for it saves a great deal on the end result!  I spend about $300 dollars a month on meds, and this is on a Brazilian income!!  

Every little bit helps!

LISA

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 07/30/11 at 18:28:57

Believe it or not the generic Zantac at the Dollar General store works ok for me.. my favorite is the orange/brown prescription one that feels like peppermint as it goes down mmmmm all better.. there is a yellow one that doesnt work for me at all... anyway that is my take on it so far Smiley
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #5 - 08/07/11 at 03:56:42

Now that I'm taking and paying out of pocket for all these over the counter H1 and H2 blockers I am realizing how quickly the costs add up. So I started searching for generics. With the generic Zantac I'm discovering, for me anyway, that it isn't working as well. I have the green and white box labeled 'equate' and I take 300 mg in the AM and then again in the PM. but the generic doesn't work as well for me for it leaves me in need of at least a 150mg dose in the afternoon due to horrible Gerd and indigestion. All the other generics I purchase for Zyrtec and Allegra seem to be ok for me now.
Hope you find what works for you!
Kim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print