Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allegra Interaction (Read 2102 times)
Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Allegra Interaction
07/24/11 at 11:12:00

If you are finding Allegra to be more effective sometimes than others, or if you've seen it on Zyrtec ads, it's true that fruit juices affect absorption of Allegra (fexofenadine).  This can be up to 50%!!

You don't have to go off of it, though.  Just don't drink fruit juices (and all of them are thought to have the same effect) within 4 hours of taking Allegra.  Don't take more Allegra to counteract this effect, because it will be impossible to know what dosage you're actually getting.

I'm guessing that whole fruits will do the same thing, but I haven't looked to see that.

Joan

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Allegra Interaction
Reply #1 - 07/24/11 at 14:29:40

Wow... do you know why that interaction occurs??  Does that happen with any other antihistamines?

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/24/11 at 17:31:51

This is what it said about why the interaction might inhibit absorption, but I haven't looked further:  

"It is most likely caused by fruit juices inhibiting an organic anion transporting peptide (OATP1A2).  By inhibiting OATP1A2, the absorption of Allegra is reduced."

Another article said:

"It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Allegra with the following: aluminum- and magnesium-containing antacids (such as Maalox), erythromycin, or ketoconazole."

It also said to check with your doctor if you have phenylketonuria, are pregnant, or nursing.

Joan

IP Logged

Patricia
Guiding Light

Washington, dc
Reply #3 - 07/29/11 at 09:28:22

We have found allegra to work really well and he's doing so much better on it, way more energy.

Dr Theo told me to stay away from oj or fruit juices within 4 hours of taking allegra  because he said it can interfere with the absorption of magnesium; to watch out for magnesium levels while taking it and use supplement if it becomes a problem.

Patricia

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print