Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vitamin B-pantothenic acid (Read 5173 times)
nikweth
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Vitamin B-pantothenic acid
07/26/11 at 02:33:54

I have tired adrenals which I know contributes to allergies. This make fire my mcas up at times. My dr. wants me to take vit b pan acid for my adrenals. Does anyone have any experience with this and does it make the mast cells degranulate? Thanks.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Vitamin B-pantothenic acid
Reply #1 - 07/26/11 at 11:54:49

I haven't take it, but I do take other B vitamins (B-6, B-12).  As with any medicine or supplement, I always start with a small dose.  It's better to buy things in liquid form, tabs that can be broken, or capsules that can be opened for more control over dosing.

You might want to check the common side effects and see if they're anything that resembles your symptoms.  I don't remember what meds you take, but you can also take the vitamin an hour or so after your antihistamines which might keep down any reaction that could occur.  You can check a list of foods that contain a lot of pantothenic acid and see whether or not you react to any of those.

The one B vitamin that I know can be a problem is niacin, because it can trigger mast cell degranulation.

Joan

IP Logged

femaillady
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/28/11 at 09:18:30

I have been taking pantethine (which is a form of pantothenic acid) for several years and it hasnt' caused any problems.  My cardiologist suggested it to raise my HDL and it seems to have helped. (I have been diagnosed with MCAD.)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 08/02/11 at 15:25:27

If your form of vitamin contains Niacin, you could throw yourself into an allergic reaction easily with flushing. Be careful and safe.
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #4 - 09/15/11 at 13:12:50

Oh my gosh, I just started B5 and I feel pretty good this week. I came across info on adrenal burnout and it just makes sence. Maybe thats way I always feel better when on prednisone. Maybe my body isn't making enough of it and thats why I'm reacting to some many things. Who knows, I know that I have hyperpigmentation on my knuckles, knee caps, ankles and on some old scars that appeared right around the same time all the masto symptoms started and I had the blood work ups for addisons disease and they said it was fine. I don't know but when I read about adrenal burnout a light bulb goes off in my head.
B6 is awesome too, I took that during my pregnacy for nausea and it totally works!
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print