Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bloating and high heart rate (Read 4558 times)
goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

bloating and high heart rate
07/22/11 at 13:47:34

I have a question about abdominal bloating, I started on zantac and claritin and have felt better but def not like my old self prior to mcad. I find after I eat basically anything especially later in the day my abd becomes so bloated like I have triplets and that would be really bad at my age LOL. When my abd gets bloated I get syncope even though my BP is fine. But I do get a high heart rate at that time I can't seem too get over this hump as far as getting better this actually makes me stop what I am doing not so much the bloating but the high heart rate and syncope feeling. I was wondering what I could do too help this, I am new too this disease and taking 75of zantac 3x day as well as 5mg of claritin 3x a day.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: bloating and high heart rate
Reply #1 - 07/22/11 at 17:40:06

Hi Goldie,

Has Dr. Afrin suggested you increase your dosages of antihistamines yet?  If not, it sounds as though you need more.  Most people take 300 mg. of Zantac a.m. and p.m., and take stronger H1 blockers than Claritin, such as Allegra (180 mg. twice/day) or alternate with Zyrtec (10 mg. or more).  Then they take additional meds if needed in between.  Ask your doctor if you can increase those and see if that helps.

Are you on the low histamine diet?  That might help, if you aren't.  And, you might want to keep a food and symptom diary to see if any food or group of foods is bothering you.  You also can try eliminating some food groups, one at a time, for a week or two and see if that helps.

There are some supplements that can help with digestion, but at this point, it might be better to get more stable before you try them.  Still, if you can eat dairy, you might try yogurt and see if that helps.

Joan

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 07/23/11 at 09:47:59

I second Joans advice (VERY good) and bet you will feel better quickly if you follow her suggestions Smiley  Thinking of you!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/23/11 at 11:40:13

Well I have not been back too see Dr. Afrin but he is instructing my hematologist here as he is far from me. I hope they will increase it my meds next week as this is only my second week on medications or third can't remember but I prob should just increase it myself and see how I feel I know I can feel a difference on just the little meds I am on so I know more will make me feel better, but can I just change from claritin to that large dose of allegra? and I take allegra and Zrytec together???? at the same time? ok thanks

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 07/24/11 at 02:52:41

Goldie,

I would suggest two things:  first, write to Dr. Afrin and explain what you are going through and ask for his instructions.  The second thing is I would take out carbohydrates from your diet.  Most of us find that anything that has a carbohydrate base is heavy on our systems - rice is not difficult, but potatoes, breads, pastas... these are the kinds of carbohydrates I'm talking about.  You can eat carbohydrates, but not the starchy kinds of foods.  See out your carbohydrates through veggies and legumes instead of breads and starchy foods.  These cause us a lot of gas and bloating and by reducing the intake of these foods, you'll do much better.

For example:  if you eat a pizza, make sure it's a super thin crust!  Yet, pizza is tricky food for us for it's got cheese and tomatoes and for many of us, on a bad day this can send us over the edge.  So, be wise and be ingenuous with your foods.  I've not found that by removing these foods that I'm lacking anymore nor has my family.  We rarely eat things like spaghetti cause I can't handle the tomato sauce, however, Ive made stroganoff and put it with veggies like cauliflour and other bulkier foods which make up the lack of the noodles!  It's great and no bloating!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print