Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leaky, puffy eye (Read 7946 times)
kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Leaky, puffy eye
07/23/11 at 03:49:34

I did a search on this forum to see if anyone else has experienced a puffy eye that tears run out of. This is new for me. It's just my right eye. It started night before last when I was tired and rubbing my eye's. I went to rub the inside corners (near the tear ducts) and my right one was tender. When I rubbed it, it hurt. Then the next morning it started watering up. Really noticable when I went outdoors. Now this morning it's swollen and still watering up.
Any one else experience this? I'm just wondering if it's linked to Mast Cells or maybe I have something totally unrelated going on. Don't we all often wonder things like this about new symptoms?????? Smiley
Have a great day!
Kim

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: Leaky, puffy eye
Reply #1 - 07/23/11 at 04:46:16

No, I would say it is not mast cell related. If it doesn't resolve itself, you should see your doc as you could have an eye infection. I have had similar things -- when the eye hurts when you rub it and yet it won't stop watering. Mine are definitely not connected to mast cells. It's just one of those "normal people" things.

Now if you start getting itchy eyes, that is indicative of allergy type things sometimes....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #2 - 07/23/11 at 05:30:43

What? A 'normal people thing'?! I can be normal? LOL just playing.
Thanks Debra.

IP Logged

larken
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/23/11 at 10:15:53

I get angioedema only in my left eye and have had something similar to what you describe.  My eyelid puffs up for 2 - 3 days and then starts to ooze a clear liquid (from the folds of the skin on top of my eyelid, not my eyeball or from under my lid), almost like tears.  My worst trigger for this reaction is salicylates and it usually happens in combination with hives.  Once it happened when I was in a room and someone was cooking tomatoes, which are very high in salicylates.  

Good luck.

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #4 - 07/23/11 at 13:35:40

Ouch! That has to be more miserable then what I have going on. I do think Deb is right. The tears running from my affected eye are from inside the eye itself. Now I'm noticing swelling down the same side of my nose that the affected eye is on. Yup. Probably a blockage or infection of some sort.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #5 - 07/24/11 at 02:58:01

Oh, this is only with one eye - this is not masto, Kim!!   If it were masto, both eyes would likely be involved.   The runny nose is the drainage from your eye.   You have some kind of infection or blockage and you should see a doctor about it.  Make sure you don't touch your other eye and keep your hands sanitized after you touch your affected eye so that if it is an infection, it won't spread.

I would also suggest doing a rinse with boric acid to see if this helps to alleviate the situation a bit.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 07/24/11 at 04:08:04

Do sinus infections act like this? I started getting sinus infections occasionally a few years ago, and I am always surprised at a symptom that end up being sinus! If it is sinus, that is a quick fix with some antibiotic. Without antibiotic, sinus infections can take weeks to get rid of.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #7 - 07/24/11 at 04:16:56

This happens to me when my sinuses get real backed up. When I try to irrigate my sinuses with my sinus rinse the water quirts out of my eye as well as my nose! Gross huh?
Melissa

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #8 - 07/24/11 at 05:03:41

Yup, officially grossed out! LOL

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #9 - 07/24/11 at 06:34:47

Sometimes it is a symptom of a beginning reaction--you will know the difference because an infection would have discolored mucous or drainage and/or the eye might also be discolored--without rubbing it, that is.

OK  Lets try a few things to see which situation is and what helps.  First if you are too dry in the mornings, you might want to (carefully) decrease the antihistamine at night. The key word here is balance.

Now if you are still "running dry and hard" in your sinuses, pick up a bottle of Ocean Spray.. it is sterile normal saline that will soothe dry irritated areas with no medicine involved. You can use this as many times a day as you need to.

If that doesnt solve it, you can pickup some nasal spray with medicine in it... I would suggest NasalCrom, with Cromulyn Sodium in it--it helps us in 2 different ways, soothes delicate membranes inside , lays down a later of cromulyn and our bodies will absorb a small amount of this mast cell stabilizer.

A few things to remember; Mast cells rush to anyplace our bodies feel irritation, so do NOT rub your eyes--gently pat dry, dont use the same tissue on both eyes (in case of an infection) and use cooling pads to help sooth. Buy some of those Hollywood (water filled) eye pads that you can throw in the freezer--they feel great.

Hope this helps!!
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #10 - 07/24/11 at 08:57:15

Since this is in only one eye, Kim, as I said, this indicates that it's not a mast cell reaction/issue here, but something like an infection or a tear duct blockage.  

If it's an infection, only a doctor can really deal with that and you'll need possible antibiotics for that - which should be done with care since we can react to antibiotics.  You can't take just any kind and this gets tricky.

However, if this is a blockage, this can be worked with through other means.  That of hot compresses and gentle massage.  

So, what you do is take a wet cloth and nuke it to warm it up sufficiently and place this on the affected eye for several minutes - perhaps 10 or so.  Then gently massage the tear duct, trying to help open up the duct.  Do this back and forth for about 30 minutes about 3 times a day, trying to see if this will help loosen up the blockage.  Don't "rub" in a harsh way, but gently press and massage the under and inner corner of your eye.  

If you eye is also inflammed, when you are not trying to do this massage treatment, use a cold compress to relieve the inflammation.   Apply the cold compress as you do the warm one, but don't do any kind of massage with it - just apply the cold compress and leave it there for about 15 minutes.

I know this seems rather ridiculous doing opposite things to the same eye, but what you are dealing with is perhaps two seperate things - that of the inflammation and that of a possible blockage.  Inflammation will call mast cells and they will in turn create their own issues for you so you need to try to reduce their activity and productivity, so cold is the way to help reduce inflammation.  

However, if you have a blockage, then you need to open up that duct or pours which are involved in the blockage and the only way to work that is with heat.  Thus the opposite treatments.  

I would think that if you've no improvement after 2 days, or if you find a drastic worsening of your symptoms, you need to get to your doctor quickly.  

No matter what, I'd set up an appointment with your opthamologist and let him take a good look.  If it is a blocked duct or pours, then infection can set in and this can create serious issues.  If it's already an infection the hot/cold treatment won't improve anything because you need antibiotics.  So, this is why I say, you need your doctor.  

Lisa

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #11 - 07/24/11 at 08:59:14

My only question now is......

DO WE EVER GET OUT OF NEEDING OUR DOCTORS????????!!!!

Thankfully we live during a time period when they at least have a name for our disease and have some kind of understanding as to how to treat it!!   What would we have done had we lived 100 years ago?!!  UGH It's awful just to think about it!!!! Shocked

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #12 - 07/25/11 at 01:37:15

Thanks to everyone for your advice and participation in my question. I looked quickly this morning online and I'm leaning more towards a blocked tear duct since the white of my eye is not pink or red in the least and the swelling from my eye reaches down and along the side of my nose. I do not have any colored discharge. Only clear tears that run and become more intense when I step out into the heat of the outdoors. It does not hurt. So you can see why I'm leaning away from pink eye.

SO LISA I will do the warm/cold compresses which I started last night and I will continue for the next couple days to see what happens.

THANKS TO ALL!!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Kim

IP Logged

kimtg68
Guru

Alabama
Reply #13 - 07/25/11 at 01:38:50

PS to Melissa,
When I blow my nose I feel air coming out of the corner of my eye. Not exactly the same as your experience but when I did that this morning I thought of your liquid coming out and cracked up laughing!  Grin  Thanks for sharing.
Kim

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #14 - 07/25/11 at 05:50:29

Lisa:
Just a small note. On my whole skin issue, my right side is always the worst. That includes my eyes. My right eye does act differently than my left eye. It is for some reason my doc can't explain.I guess just like the rest of my body. When my eyes always start to hurt, it's always the right one, sometimes the left never even hurts at all. My doc says it is masto & the only thing that works is Pataday, a mast cell inhibitor. By the way the idea of a cold compress is a good one for temporary relief, but only temporary.
MikeV

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print