Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
diagnosis of MCAD but also very low cortisol and high liver enzy?? (Read 5727 times)
still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

diagnosis of MCAD but also very low cortisol and high liver enzy??
07/16/11 at 06:54:00

Hello.....we continue to be confused our daughter was just diagnosed in June 2011 with MCAD but she also has elevated liver enzymes (which I have posted before and heard that this may clear itself up with the MCAD meds) but now also has very low cortisol levels.  As well, she continues to have some type of eosinophiliac disorder.  Ever heard of low cortisol in MCAD???  thanks

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: diagnosis of MCAD but also very low cortisol and high liver enzy??
Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 04:04:01

Has your daughter been tested for Addison's disease?  Addison's in an autoimmune disorder where your own immune system attacks your adrenal glands so they no longer produce enough hormones... it's like type I diabetes, just with the adrenal glands instead of the pancreas.  Adrenaline... another adrenal hormone... is the natural version of epinephrine.  Without enough adrenaline it would be easy for allergic reactions (regardless of the cause) to get out of control.

Do autoimmune disorders run in your family?  AARDA has a good list if you're not sure:

http://www.aarda.org/

Your daughter should see an endocrinologist, but some work primarily with diabetes patients... try to find one that's more of a generalist. Better yet... go to a teaching hospital in a big city.  

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 09:49:49

Heather,
Wow...if I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that it may be possible that an autoimmune disorder of some type may be the underlying cause for elevated eosinophils, mast cell problems, low cortisol and liver issues???  If so, the diagnosis of MCAD would not be correct?  Would she then not need to take Gastrocrom, Zantac and Zyrtec daily??  I know you are not a doctor so please know that I am not holding you to anything.  We are just brainstorming together.  However, this may lead to something.  Rylee's GI doc at Cincinnati Children's was out of town Frid. when the low Cortisol report came back.  His nurse called and said she had consulted with the Endocrinologist on call and that if Rylee needed to go to the ER that I would need to notify them of what her Cortisol level was that morning.  Anyway.....I looked up Addisions.  Rylee doesn't have any hyperpigmentation issues.  Isn't that one of the hallmarks of that particular disease??  As well, my husband has same issues as Rylee but continues to go undiagnosed.  When he flares up though he is much worse.  His almost becomes life threatening.  His last major flare up lasted from 2005 through most of 2008.  We took him to NY to see the world renowned Dr. Richard Warner for Carcinoid or other NETS.  After being in the hospital almost a month, they could not determine what was wrong but they knew that it wasn't Carcinoid. Steve began flushing in 2005 and to this day his face and upper chest STAY flushed (just varies in color).  Sometimes he is hot pink, sometimes sunburn color, and sometimes has a purple tone to it. Anything else you can explain or info you can pass along would be helpful.  Any ideas as to what other specific autoimmune disorder it could be???
thanks so very much,
Angie

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 07/17/11 at 17:33:52

Hi Angie,

Addison's doesn't cause MCAD, but autoimmune disorders in general are pretty common in people with MCAD.  Personally, in addition to MCAD I have Hashimoto's disease and chronic autoimmune urticaria (confirmed with lab tests).  Autoimmune disorders run in my family.

Unfortunately... as you've already experienced... when you don't know what your problem is and it doesn't seem to be fitting into any of the standard boxes, it's a real trick trying to get answers!  Autoimmune disorders are complicated and there is SO MUCH doctors don't know about them.  A couple of years ago I went to the ER for what I thought was "food poisoning."  I was telling the doctor about "being allergic to myself" and he said, "You know... when I was in medical school all we knew about was lupus."  He believed me and was fascinated... he just didn't know anything about my disorder.

Anyway... what I'm suggesting is that your daughter could have more than one thing going on (MCAD plus an autoimmune disorder).  Keep looking for answers in both directions!  I don't think Addison's is too difficult to diagnose if you know what you're looking for, but it's not a very common disorder (1:10,000) so most doctors don't encounter people with Addison's... and therefore, they're just not thinking about it.  I'm not sure hyper-pigmentation is required for a diagnosis.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 05:47:17

Heather,
Got it!!!  I originally thought MCAD was the end all but I hear what you are saying.  Hopefully, we can find out what the underlying issue is.  I will follow up with you as I talk with her doctor at Cincinnati Children's.  I am amazed at the amount of helpful info. I have found on this forum.  It really helps me know what types of questions I need to be asking the doctors and it certainly helps me do my research so I am prepared.  thank you for all the clarifications!  God bless and have a GREAT day!!
Angie

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Kate:
Tutor

Reply #5 - 07/18/11 at 09:58:31

Angie,

I am sorry to hear your daughter is going thru so much.  I hope you can get some answers soon.

Who does she see at Children's in Cinci?  I am from Ohio and looking for a doctor who is familiar with mast cells to test/treat me as an adult.  I wonder if her doctor would know of someone?

I will pray for your family!

Kate

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 07/18/11 at 09:59:34

Absolutely!!!  Educating yourself makes a HUGE difference Smiley  I'm happy to help in any way I can... that's what we're all here for.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print