Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Desperate! (Read 2218 times)
Julie
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Desperate!
07/17/11 at 01:48:17

Hello,  I need help.  I had a reaction to eating chicken soup yesterday. I took Benadryl and Zantac 150 mg and 75mg. The reaction was still there. I took another Benadryl and it was getting a little better but not there yet. I took another after 20 minutes.  I started feeling dizzy and had some fuzzy thinking and some strange thoughts. I decided to go to the ER. They gave me sedral madol ? I started getting tachycardia and high blood pressure. They wanted me to stay in the hospital because I mentioned a fluttering of the heart ( I have had palpations which my cardiologist knows about and he said my heart is fine.) I wanted to leave because they said they wanted to do a stress test on me chemically. I did not want that my cardiologist knows what's going on. My concern is I'm still having tachycardia and I'm still having some weird thoughts when I try to rest my eyes. I don't know if the weird thoughts are from perhaps taking too much benadryl close together, it was 25 mg each. I know if I go back to the hospital they probably put me on beta blockers. I'm scared about that.
Please help me.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Desperate!
Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 03:53:34

Hi Julie,

There's nothing wrong with two 25mg doses of Benadryl... I routinely take 50mg doses (as recommended by my allergist).

It's common to have dizziness and tachycardia together when you're having a reaction.  The dizziness is from low blood pressure, and the tachycardia is your body's way of trying to compensate.  When you feel like that, the best thing to do is lay down.  That way your blood pressure doesn't need to be as high to maintain consciousness.  A "feeling of impending doom" is also common with anaphylaxis.  If it was a really bad reaction you probably would have had additional symptoms... passing out (or getting close), nausea, shortness of breath, swelling, hives, etc...  You probably know the list by now.

Don't feel bad about going to the ER!  It takes a while to know your own body... what's really an emergency and what's not.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Julie
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 04:32:50

Thanks, Starflower,

This was my first visit to the ER and I don't think I was prepared. I'm new to this all.  After coming home I took my Zantac and my blood pressure it is normal now. I still have a little tachycardia.
I might have made some mistakes along the way. But am learning. I still have a long way to go.
Thanks for your note.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 07/18/11 at 11:18:26

Hi Julie!!
Im so sorry I wasnt here for you--I was ill with that returning UTI but I think Ive gotten it under control for now.. How are you feeling today?? Any other reactions?? How are the meds, helping you at all?? Heres hoping you feel better and have a wonderful night..
Thanking of you
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 12:14:09

Julie, if you have to go to the hospital again with symptoms, ask them to draw blood to test for tryptase. This can prove mast cell activation, which will be important for you to know while you are working on ways to feel better. You might see if your doctor will give you an order for serum tryptase level that you can keep on hand for the purpose.

Nancy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print