Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Leukotriene inhibitors (Read 7412 times)
NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Leukotriene inhibitors
Reply #15 - 07/21/11 at 17:07:40

Texan1960, look at the ingredients for the dose of Singulair you took and also for the dose of Allegra you took. GERD is not a usual result of taking those meds, and I'm wondering if one of the inactive ingredients in both of those could be the problem?

Nancy

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #16 - 07/22/11 at 05:42:09

texan:
I agree with Nancy. I had trouble with ketitofin pills & the only reason could think of was the corn starch inactive ingrediant. Both corn starch which a lot of the generic drugs use as a filler & pregelatinized starch both are high in sulfites due to the process to make them. This was my reason to switch from zyflo to singulair, also to use regular zrytec not the generic. Allegra has the pregelatinized starch as a filler. I watch both these in all my foods & I seem a little better with my skin symptoms. All I know is I can now take liquid benedryl & tylenol that don't have the fillers & they help when symptoms act up. The other thing we all get a lot of coincidence symptoms that just happen at the time we take meds. These should be explored multiple times to make sure there is a direct correlationship before the meds are blamed for the symptoms. Once again my opinion from 6 years of experience.
mikev

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #17 - 07/22/11 at 05:48:13

GREAT tips Mike!! Im gonna call my pharmacy and see if any of my meds have those in it.. I cant take sulphites.. Youre a huge help to me with your experience Smiley
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 07/22/11 at 06:12:13

Thanks guys, will check those ingredients.  I have a super sensitive tummy and have to take zantac and prilosec to keep it under control.  I have tried Allegra twice now and same problem each time.  Oddly enough, my daughter had to switch from Allegra to Zyrtec for same reason.  I am going to give singulair one more go though....BTW, I could not take Elmiron for IC for same reason, gave me horrid GERD the whole time I took it, after a year of GERD gave it up!  Dissappointing at the time give the nature of IC.  Will see about fillers...I know food additives, for example, glutamates, are not my friends...Thanks for the tip, will see!

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - 07/22/11 at 06:14:11

PS Mike...almost missed it in your message, but I have issues with sulfites too...not as drastic as MSG and glutamates, but definitely have problems.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #20 - 07/25/11 at 08:11:39

Kristi,  

I got my allergist to give me some children's Singulair chewables to try to begin with.  I could cut them in tiny pieces.  Found out I can't tolerate Singulair, though.  Also, some people might no be able to tolerate the extra ingredients (flavoring etc) in the chewables.

IP Logged

kristi
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #21 - 07/25/11 at 19:29:25

Thanks, Jenwic, that is a good suggestion. I did call the pharmacy and they said I could split the 10 mg pills. I tried that and have taken 1/2 for two days now. I do feel a little reactive (throat congestion and dizziness) but that seems to go away after 15 minutes or so. I'm going to keep trying as I'm so hopeful this med is going to help me stabilize a bit. I did read that the children's chewables have aspartame and I'm thinking I might have issues with that. Thanks again for the idea!

kristi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print