Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which H2 blocker do you prefer? (Read 6985 times)
jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Which H2 blocker do you prefer?
07/24/11 at 07:42:35

I am currently taking 2 Claritin per day (one in a.m. and one in p.m.).  Dr. Grubb wants me to try an H2 blocker also.  Which one do you prefer and what's a good starting dose?  

Also, my reactions are not so much GI related.  I have a lot of tachycardia issues.  Since I started the Claritin, the occasional nausea and diahrrea have all but disappeared.  Do H2 blockers work on other areas of the body besides the GI?

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Re: Which H2 blocker do you prefer?
Reply #1 - 07/24/11 at 08:02:00

I started out with 10mg/day of Pepcid, but then I switched to 150mg/day of Zantac.  Both are fine.  Right now I'm taking 300mg of Zantac twice a day plus 10mg of Pepcid Complete whenever I have heartburn.  It does help to have both an H1 blocker and an H2 blocker.  There are four different kinds of histamine receptors, but they're scattered all over your body and have somewhat different functions.  Give it a try and see if it makes any difference for you.  It's very unlikely to cause a negative reaction.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 07/24/11 at 08:18:14

I take quite a few meds but my 2 fav are Allegra and Vistaril.. the Allegra even helpoed me with my tachycardia.. that seemed a miracle for me.. I take Allegra 180 mg twice a day and I add another one if Im not feeling good (in the middle of the day)... hope you feel better soon!
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 07/24/11 at 09:13:43

I take Ranitidine.    I've never taken any other type of H2 blocker so I don't know the difference between them.

As for H1, Allegra is my mainstay!   Love this medicine!  And apparently it loves me!   It's fast and effective and has turned around almost all of my crises.  Very rarely do I have to take a double dose or add any ranitidine or prednisone to turn it around - usually allegra does it all.

I also take Ketotifen and Polaramine as other H1 blockers.  Polaramine is not available in the US, but it's a very effective med as well - it crosses the blood/brain barrier as does Ketotifen, so I take these only at night.

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/24/11 at 10:56:55

For an H2 blocker, I take Zantac/ranitidine (150 mg.) in the a.m. and then Pepcid/famotidine  (20 mg.) at bedtime.  My allergist has lately prescribed Pepcid 40 mg., in case I need something stronger.  

Histamine is all the same; however, there are 4 different types of histamine receptors in the body.  (H1, H2, .....)  That's why we sometimes need both.  As far as I know, there are no available H3 or H4 blockers.)

Joan

IP Logged

jenwic
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
southern Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/24/11 at 13:36:16

Thank you all for replying so quickly!  Everyone on this forum is so helpful and caring Smiley  I am thinking about trying the Zantac first, but I have Pepcid here too.  I always start off slowly and with a small dose.  I am SO sensitive to meds!   It always makes me nervous when I try any new med.  

I wonder if any H2 blockers would help with my asthma.  I can't tolerate Singulair, but I've been wondering if I very slowly titrate up with the children's chewables if my mast cell reaction to Singulair would go away or get worse.

Thanks,
Jenny

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print