Send Topic Print
reaction to histame (Read 2293 times)
Tassal
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

reaction to histame
07/14/11 at 06:56:57

Hi All--

I gave my son a quarter piece of white bread this morning with a little goat's milk butter. This is the third day he has been eating this.  I limit it to 1/2 of a piece of the bread a day because he is enormously sensitive to gluten. I am completely out of foods to feed him so this is a last resort to keep him from being hungry. He eats almost no carbs just meat and a little fruit.

After i gave him the bread last night he sat on the floor and twirled a cat toy back and forth for 20 minutes repeating the words "peanut butter". I was a little floored....this morning, very similar reaction--same cat toy but the word today was donut. He calls bread donut Smiley.  I  made up a shooter to give him of sodium bicarbonate (he has a peptic ulcer and has pain after eating) and I put in a histame capsule. Within 5 minutes of the shooter he was hitting himself in the head and screaming. Then I n oticed that he had a rash on his neck and cheek--he started to itch  it. About 15 minutes later he was ok, back to normal.

Does this indicate a reaction to the histame (positive or negative)? I'm clueless here--I still cannot figure out how to test him for MCAD  and I've had no luck getting in touch with Dr. Theo yet. I will eventually be able to test his trypstase level but I'm waiting for other blood tests to be ordered so I can put them all in one batch (one draw). My husband has been looking for a lab to test methyl histamines but we have not been able to find one. Does ARUP do this?

I guess I'm just wondering if this reaction to histame indicates histamine reaction in his stomach? I am going to give him the quarter piece of bread again tonight and see what happens. He also reacts to potato so I was thinking of giving him a few french fries and give him the histame. I've always thought that he was reacting to the oxalate in the potato but gosh I'd love to know if it was the histamine!!!

Please advise on any of this. I'm really REALLY confused Smiley)))

Thank you!!!!

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: reaction to histame
Reply #1 - 07/14/11 at 07:14:34

Since your son is exhibiting pain, I definitely wouldn't give him any bread to eat again. If it is just a quarter of bread, it isn't doing him any good any way. So there is no point since you are seeing it just causes pain.

I haven't read through your history of posts, but I know he is autistic. Have you given him any histamine blockers, such as Zantac and zyrtec? Zantac is like a miracle drug for GI pain for most of us here.

My good friend has a son with Aspergers. (I may have mispelled that.). She and her husband strongly felt that he was extremely reactive to foods. Their pediatrician didn't believe them, so they researched and took him to a place in Chicago for nutrition guidance. I don't know the details, but they came back with a strict list and diet. His Aspergers immediately improved, and it made all the difference in their lives by finding the right info regarding foods. I will call her today and get info for you of that place in Chicago and anything else that may help you. By the way, the pediatrician was so astonished that it worked, that he apologized and asked them to teach him what they had learned in Chicago.

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Tassal
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: reaction to histame and Neuroprotek
Reply #2 - 07/14/11 at 08:34:54

Thanks for your message. yes he is ASD diagnosed but has lots of weird problems in addition to that...he does not fit the diagnosis well at all, but they put him on the spectrum because he is non verbal. For some reason we cannot figure out, he has a very negative reaction to Zantac and other H2 blockers. We have tried prilosec, zantac and one other I can't remember. he is currently on pepcid--20mg in the morning and 10 mg at night. It does not work very well but it's better than nothing!

I was researching Dr. Theo and found out about Neuroprotek...does anyone else take this? It seems to be a combination of luteolin, quercetin and rutin.....I just received it in the mail. Not sure if I should risk it but I feel so helpless I'm tempted to try it. Please let me know if anyone else has tried it.... Th ank you!

Regards, Julie

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: reaction to histame
Reply #3 - 07/14/11 at 10:09:30

I take quercetin and am finding that it is helping me a lot.  I'm not as reactive as I was before I began it.  However, it can be rough on the stomach.  Also, I'm not sure if that formula contains a derivative of shellfish or gluten.  Would be worth checking into.

It's hard to know if he reacts to most foods or if most foods irritate the ulcer and cause pain.  Has anyone mentioned Carafate for the ulcer?  It seems to me that the ulcer needs to be cleared up before any other diagnosis can be made.  I don't know if it's approved for children, but it might help the symptoms so he can eat.  I'd imagine he's already been checked for H. pylori.

A hard and fast rule must be not to give him anything that might contain gluten, and that includes checking his medications and anything that might enter his mouth.  Remember corn contains gluten, too.  I'm sure there are numerous websites that list gluten-containing foods and alternate names for wheat or corn that you might not guess.

Anything new that you try must be tried in very tiny doses and not include anything you know he reacts to.  If you check with his doctor, there may be a supplement he can take (gluten-free, of course) that is a type of pre-digested liquid that will give him the proper nutrients while you're figuring out what's causing his problems.

If he can't take H2 blockers, maybe he can take some type of acid neutralizer, like baking soda in water, for example.  It seems a pediatric GI doc could help.

Good luck!

Joan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print