Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question about moving to a new city (Read 1425 times)
r123
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

A question about moving to a new city
07/13/11 at 15:31:18

Hey everyone! So I'm in the process of moving a few hours away from where I live now, and while I've never been in anaphylaxis there have been a handful of times where I truly felt I was close. Just to be prepared in the event of an emergency, should I contact the local hospital and send them my medical records or something?

I asked my parents, and they insisted that its all digital now (which it obviously is) but I have records from so many doctors, most of which I don't currently see, so it might be a challenge.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: A question about moving to a new city
Reply #1 - 07/13/11 at 16:30:49

Hi r,

I would recommend printing out a copy of the ER protocols from TMSforacure.org and taking or sending those to the hospital and asking them to put them on file in case you have a problem.  If your current doctor will write a letter, that will help, too.  I usually take out the important pages from the protocol to take with me to the ER.  I keep a copy in my car, too.  It's often confusing for ER people because our required treatment seems contradictory for the symptoms we exhibit sometimes.  There are also emergency "cards" you can print out on the TMS website for carrying in your wallet.

Moving can be very stressful.  If you're taking medicine, you might talk with your doctor about upping your dosages during the move.  You do carry epipens with you, I hope.  If not, ask for those, too.

Good luck with the move!

Joan

IP Logged

redbird
Guru

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: A question about moving to a new city
Reply #2 - 07/13/11 at 16:34:14

I would like to jump into this discussion...I am also a shocker and stay prepared at all times...I carry papers in my purse from my doctor for treatment and also my current meds along with my epi pen.
when I started shocking so badly and had to be in the ER I wrote and visited with the ER director sharing with them info regarding masto...and also why it was important they know how quickly treatment needed to be done for me...they filed it in a drawer and had a mtg in regard to the fact I might be coming in and they should treat me quickly.
I also talked with the ambulance service and furnished them info as well in case they might be needed and made sure they knew how to get to my house.
having all your records might not be good other than to place them with whatever new doctor you might have in the new town BUT I WOULD URGE YOU to carry treatment papers with you
I also wear when I go anywhere out of my home a medical necklace that tells whoever that my treatment papers are in my purse.
redbird

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print