Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coping with Heat? (Read 3899 times)
Gina E.
Rookie

Coping with Heat?
07/13/11 at 10:58:28

Okay - Jill's topic on cold is great.  But since it's July . .. what about heat?  Anyone have any sage advice? I don't know if I'm going to make it!  Smiley

Gina

P.S. I have a work event this Saturday that's outdoors in 90+ weather and then another work event on Monday in 97+ weather.  Last time I tried to pull something like that off I was in bed sick for a week.  

P.P.S.  Ok, this is venting - but when I tell people I'm going to get sick in the heat and/or pass out . . . they always tell me "oh, me too." Umm, not quite the same.  One of the girls at work offered me an umbrella as a solution to the upcoming events.  Unless that sucker has a fan and dry ice attached to it, that's not going to help.   Tongue

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Coping with Heat?
Reply #1 - 07/13/11 at 11:09:23

Wow, that truly does suck!! Im sorry Hon. OK, try this.. first what about a real fan with a long cord??? Next stay under that umbrella, Then.. the night before this, get a small cooler for you and take maybe 3 or 4 zip lock bags or frozen bags of veggies--freeze these in the freezer overnight... take 1 or 2 at a time and put them under your clothes to keep cool. Have a huge glass of ice with a but of a drink next to you. Take an extra antihistamine before the event and have another one with you.. thats all I can think of... be careful ok?? Let us know how you are. We truly do care!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Gina E.
Rookie

Reply #2 - 07/13/11 at 12:31:55

Good ideas . . . plus, I forget I'll need to keep the gastrocrom and epi pen below 86 degrees.  I could take an extra allegra, too.  Sometimes the extra zyrtec or extra loratidine doesn't cut it.  My doctors have me on entocort (steroid), every other day (don't ask!) for the time being - I think I might not take a day off . . .at least that might keep a few tummy issues at bay.  

Wonder if one of those neckcloths you soak in water work . .. I think they sell them for construction workers.   Cry  Plus, this isn't good for the environment, but I could retreat to my car and run the AC . . .  Wink

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 07/13/11 at 13:19:21

I think you have some excellent ideas , especially the one about the car AC  LOL.

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

nevermiss
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/13/11 at 13:49:33

I have bought a few of the "neck ties" at REI and use them not only outside but also to help calm rapid heart beats!!!   You soak them overnight and they stay cool all day.  They are a lifesaver if heat is a trigger.  They come in great colors and patterns as well.  I wear them all the time when the temp gets over 88 whenever I leave air conditioning.
They do make a difference.

IP Logged

Gina E.
Rookie

Reply #5 - 07/14/11 at 10:12:02

Thank you for the feedback on the neck ties . . . I'm going to give them a try.  Plus, I work in an attic of an old historic house, they would even be good for hot days when the air can't keep up.  

Great!!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #6 - 01/07/12 at 20:36:05

Just thought I'd add that I was desperate at the mall and threw a cup of ice down my shirt and it helped a ton!! Cool

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #7 - 01/08/12 at 10:47:34

Hey, I'm the one in the midst of Summer down here in Brazil!!   You're supposed to be Freezing up there now!  What's going on?! hahahaha!
Roll Eyes

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Anaphylaxing
Guru

Hang in there! You can
do it!

Reply #8 - 01/08/12 at 11:05:40

Yes Lisa, you must be the best heat coping one among us

it is not hot here but I still burn up!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print