Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Planning to experiment with my meds (Read 3162 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Planning to experiment with my meds
07/12/11 at 02:35:55

So, I am planning to do a little experiment with my meds. I will keep you all posted as to how it goes. I don't take too many meds (only zantac, allegra, and zyrtec), and I feel really well. The one complaint I have is the lack of energy/fatigue, which I believe is mainly a result of my meds. So, I am going to decrease my meds slowly and see what happens. Since I only take one allegra in the morning and one zyrtec in the late afternoon, I have to figure out how to decrease it. I think I might chop in half the allegra and take 1/2 pill and see how that goes. If that works with no symptoms appearing, then I will continue that 1/2 pill for about 2 weeks. If all is well, then I might chop the zyrtec in half and see how that is.

It will be an interesting experiment, and I will probably start it in about a week or so -- when I know that my life will be very stable and calm with no unusual triggers around.

Now, I will point out to our newbies, that I wouldn't advise most people to try this, as they are generally still trying to get a handle on their symptoms. I have had IA for many years now and figured out how to feel well on a daily basis, largely by the right meds, adapting my lifestyle, and identifying and avoiding my triggers. I am very fortunate that I am at a point in my life that I have been at for a very long time where I am stable and on the few days when I trigger, can only blame myself for breaking my own rules. I am going to share how I do with my new experiment so that others can add this info to their knowledge base, be it positive or negative info. We all learn from others' experiences, and, as I like to say, it is my hope that new people can learn from my mistakes and not make the same ones! LOL. Hopefully, this experiment will be one of success, though, and not a mistake!

If you would like to comment, feel free! Not looking for any criticisms, though, as this is more of an "intent" post, not an advice seeking one.  Wink

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Planning to experiment with my meds
Reply #1 - 07/12/11 at 08:35:03

Just a few thoughts... Is this the time of year (heat etc) when you are more prone or a better time of year.  I cut back on all my meds a couple of years ago (down to 1 zyrtec and 1 ditropan).  Well guess what, one weekend I had a system crash...horrible bladder spasms, terrible dizzyness, muscle twitching, etc...bed ridden for about a week.  Took me a long time to recover to any extent as in months.  My drs pretty much said don't ever do that again (Got some head shaking and monster lectures).  So, just a word of caution from someone who tried it, be careful!  Cause the crash can be a real bummer...I would maybe identify which anthist is  making you tired and cut back only on that one, but that is coming from someone who crashed. Shocked  One other note...I was feeling really good about 8 years into this illness and really didn't like the idea of taking multiple medications (antihist-zyrtec, zantac, singulair, continuous bcp, + bladder meds etc) so started cutting back.  I don't really know which one that I cut that caused the crash and I have a feeling they were all working together...  You are however an IA person while I am a continous leaker (haha, coined a new term), so you may have a totally different experience than me.  I would, unlike the stupid thing I did...not talking to my drs first, talk to your drs before starting to cut back.  

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #2 - 07/12/11 at 08:43:22

I'm staying at my parents' house right now (on vacation)... and for some reason their air conditioning is so DRY!  Even though it's summer, I had to cut back to my "winter" dose of H1s... I was waking up at night because I couldn't breathe through the rock-hard boogers Wink

I don't think your experiment will cause a crash!  You can always take an extra dose if you start feeling "off."  You've definitely been dealing with this long enough to know if you're on the right track or not... I look forward to hearing the results.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 07/12/11 at 08:57:52

Starflower is probably right in that if you know when you are feeling bad you can up the med again especially if you are going half a pill at a time.

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 07/12/11 at 16:01:21

Hi Debbie Smiley
I know you are in control but it still makes me nervous cause I know what you went through when you were first ill... I hope you get the answers youre looking for--I would suggest maybe one thing?? What if you did this experiment the opposite way?? Stay on your present meds then add one things that might help.. I would have 2 suggestions...if its energy youre looking for, either add a dose of singulair a day OR increase your dose of Allegra to twice a day instead of once. I usually find that feeling not right isnt a matter of decreasing a med--but of adding the right one instead. Im watching to see how it goes for you and love ya like crazy Smiley
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/12/11 at 17:12:47

I understand how you're feeling about cutting back on meds.  I think about it a lot.  Just a note of caution to check with the manufacturer about cutting 180 mg. Allegra in half.  You can cut the 60 mg. tablets, but I was told not to split the 180s, because they're time-release.  60 mg. tabs are still available by prescription, but I haven't seen them OTC.  They only last 6-8 hours.

I've been considering trying to switch to gastrocrom, and to see if I can cut back on any or all the antihistamines.  The doc told me that Zyrtec can be given in much higher doses than the 10 mg. normally used.  I wonder if switching from one to the other antihistamine would cut the fatigue.  Personally, though, I find Allegra less sedating than Zyrtec.

For anyone attempting this, when I went off antihistamines for allergy testing (before I knew not to), it took 3 days before my symptoms flared.  I guess they have a half-life, at least in me.  Also, for newbies or those who might not think of it, if you are a shocker, don't reduce or go off meds without an epipen.  And, for at least the first week, be sure there is someone else around at all times, just in case.

I heard onthe radio today that "Hoosiers" are suffering with the hottest weather in the country right now.  That heat makes me feel really tired!

Good luck, Deb!

Joan

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #6 - 07/12/11 at 18:21:32

Good to know about the allegra, Joan. I will ask my pharmacist about it! I agree with you that the zyrtec is more sedating. Perhaps I will cut that one in half first, which I know is okay because our pediatrician had recommended doing that when my kids needed a zyrtec.

Ramona, interesting way to look at it! Smiley. However, I was so sick like that over 15 years ago, and I was the complete opposite knowledge wise than I am now. No need to ads more meds, as my symptoms are under control. Plus I used to take singulair, and there was no difference in energy either way. I don't think my fatigue is a mast cell symptom breaking through, but it will be fascinating to see if I
am correct or not about that!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 07/19/11 at 10:42:05

Hey Debbie,

You are my twin right now!  I am having my meds adjusted too, as I have been instructed to try reducing the Gastrcrom they raised this past spring.  Starting to have too many gi issues following a dose of it and bad ringing in my ears.

So, here's some tips to pass along on this:

(1) Talk it over with your doctor first and get his advice on how to do it. You can go into shock so easily if you get breakthrough.

(2)Do it SLOWLY...  make one change at a time (usually per week) and on a VERY SMALL increment.  Listen to your body and observe how you feel and keep in touch with your docs.

(3) Some of the antihistamines are available in liquid form, which is much easier to "titer" out, as we call it, for example, Zyrtec.  Usually those preparations for kids are made this way.  It is much easier to get exact with a liquid as opposed to the "hit or miss" of cutting a pill exactly in half or something.

(4) Only change one thing at a time, so you can observe the effect.

Above all, go so very slowly and cautiously with this.  You don't want to "upset the applecart" too much if you are doing fine.

Good luck and let me know how it goes, I would be curious to find out Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print