Send Topic Print
C-Diff (Read 5617 times)
missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
C-Diff
07/08/11 at 11:19:29

Hello, I'm wondering what some of you especially nurses or other medical professionals can tell me about C-Diff. My 16 month old is sick again with some kind of gastro virus. Vomitting and diarrhea, mostly diarrhea. I just got back from the doctor and he ordered some stool tests. One of them was C-Difficle. Here is why I'm concerned, we just got back from my mother in law's and she is currently being treated for C-Diff. When I aksed if it was contagious she said no it is usually something people get from being on antiboitics and it kills all the good bacteria. My baby has not been on antibiotics. Well I have been reading a little about it and found many people posting about it that got it and they weren't on antibiotics and have no idea how they got it. I'm hoping this is just a run of the mill stomach flu. But I can't help but to worry, I can't believe the amount of diapers I'm going through. She is refusing most liquids and even popsicles.
I found some info on a certain probiotic that is supposedly good for c-diff and e coli and other gastro bugs. I think I will give it a try.
Anybody ever had C-Diff? Is it contagious? There seems to be different info out there saying different things.
Melissa

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: C-Diff
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 12:19:36

ok, Im not an expert about C-Diff but I have some experience with it. When my son was 10 months old, our (water) well went bad and he suffered for it, more than any of us. He had C Diff and some other GI infections and he was one sick puppy. He had the same symptoms as your baby, and lost one fourth of his body weight before we successfully stopped it. He got it, of course from the bad well water. I would say that your Mother in Law also having it is more than coincidental and you should look at how she was exposed to it to find the link for your son. Water source is probably the answer here.

What did your Pediatrician say about this to you? How are they treating it??

Right now, treating it and keeping your baby  hydrated is the most important goal.  Your childs Pediatrician should be treating this aggressively--and if they arent, change immediately to a DR who takes this seriously. I had to change Pediatricians when my son was not getting any better and it made a huge difference to how fast he healed.

Im trying to remember exactly how my son was treated (long time ago). He was put on an antibiotic AFTER a culture and sensitivity showed exactly which med would work on it. He was also put on a bland diet (bananas, rice, applesauce--and yogurt too I think).  His DR was an angel..from England and she reminded me of Mary Poppins lol. She told me to cook for him as healthy as possible then put it through a blender for him. With her treatment, he started getting better and gaining weight immediately.

Again, this should be treated aggressively, babies can loose fluids and nutrition too quickly and threaten their well being. If the baby refuses all fluids for more than a few hours, I would call your Pediatrician and take the baby to the ER. I will keep your little one in my prayers.

I hope this helps!
Many hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #2 - 07/11/11 at 16:03:34

Well my daughter seems to be getting better. So whatever it is or was I think it has run it's course. Saturday was the worst 15 diarrhea diapers! More was coming out than in. I was very concerned but the very next day it let up and she only had few diarrhea diapers. I'm not kidding.... on average, I was dealing with 12 to 15 diarrhea diapers a day! I asked all my friends, is this normal for the flu? They said no, my mom said no. The stool test,giardia antigen test, and c-diff test haven't come back yet. So it was never confirmed c-diff, but I was concerned about it, because my mother in law had it and experienced many of the same symptoms almost to the T. So she never got any meds or anything, I started giving her probiotics and yogurt and with-in 2 days she got better but it could be it was just a flu virus. But the good news she is back to herself. She was a real tropper. Thanks for answering Ramona. Hugs! I hope you are feeling well. Smiley
Melissa

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #3 - 07/18/11 at 05:26:26

Ramona, if you can believe it the doctor called on Friday to tell my daughter c-diff test came back positive and we were both shocked because she has never had antibiotics. I have been reading up on it and it seems as though c-diff is no longer associated with antibiotic use only. There is even a new strain reported by the CDC in 2004 and they say the new starin has become more restistant to treatment and is more aggressive. Scarey! But she is better now. Praise the Lord, lots of prayers and probiotics and yogurt. She did not require antibiotics which the doctor was happy about. I have been reading the only way to kill c-diff is with bleach and that it produces spores that can live on surfaced for months. She had diarrhea all over her floor in her room and of course we cleaned it good but not with bleach. I worried about re-infecting. They say c-diff can be really be hard to get rid of because it keeps coming back in up to 20% of patients. In the mean time everyone seems to be doing okay, my husband had about 2 days of stomach pains and nasea and thats it.
Melissa

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/18/11 at 06:34:27

Hi Missy,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. The doctors in our office, in addition to using antibiotics for C. diff, also use a specific probiotic, Saccharomyces boulardii, brand name Florastor. It is very competitive with C. diff, and is very helpful in getting rid of it.

Quote:
Probiotics
Probiotics are organisms, such as bacteria and yeast, which help restore a healthy balance to the intestinal tract. A yeast called Saccharomyces boulardii, in conjunction with antibiotics, might help prevent recurrent C. difficile infections.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-difficile/DS00736/DSECTION=treatments-and-dru...

You can get Florastor from some pharmacies, health food stores, and online. It is very helpful any time you use antibiotics, as it can be a preventative as well as a treatment for C. difficile.

Glad to hear the baby is doing well!

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

missybean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!
Washington
Reply #5 - 07/18/11 at 15:50:59

Yes Susan this is the probiotic strain I found out about online to help with c-diff and I called my local health food store and they have saccharomyces boulardii by Jarrow Formulas and it is like half the price of Florastor. Thanks you!
Melissa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print