Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Visit YaBB today Wink
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How long should it take Gastrocrom to work? (Read 9888 times)
still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: How long should it take Gastrocrom to work?
Reply #15 - 07/12/11 at 04:39:48

Thanks for the info.  We are so overwhelmed right now and we have no idea what Rylee's triggers are.  I really don't know where to start short of having her take all these medications. (Gastrocrom, Zantac, Zyrtec, and Entocort).  We are also using Benadryl daily for acute nausea.  I would love for her to see Dr. Castell or Akin but before they will even talk to us they want to see all her medical records.  It will take me months to put all that together.  They are at several medical institutions and it is costly.  They charge over $1 per page.  Do you know of any way we can bypass all that??  Maybe I could have just her most recent info. from Cincinnati Children's sent.  The first time they did any staining for mast cells was in June 2011.  thanks so much for staying in contact with me!

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #16 - 07/12/11 at 08:38:34

In my experience, doctors don't always charge for copies of your files... especially if you're getting them to show to other doctors.  It never hurts to ask.  Even they won't copy them for free for you, they should fax them for free to the next doctor.  That's a professional courtesy.

Heather  

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 07/12/11 at 14:23:55

Thank you....I am going to ask.

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 07/12/11 at 15:12:16

still seeking - Possibly the records from Cincinnati Childrens would be adequate for Dr. Castells, since they seem to have done a good work-up. I'd give it a try, anyway, and ask them if they would refer Rylee to Dr. Castells.

Is she taking pills or liquid medications? Some of the liquids contain alcohol, which can cause mast cell activation and increase symptoms in children. Pills have fewer ingredients and can be mashed and added to those mashed potatoes and zuccini.

It's not surprising you are overwhelmed right now. Anything new, especially concerning your daughter's health, is really difficult to deal with.

The daily Benadryl might be a problem. Is it helpful with her nausea? When Benadryl is taken routinely, it can disable one of the two enzymes we have for disabling histamine, and histamine level may rise and cause symptoms. Perhaps you could look into one of the motion sickness tablets for her nausea, like Bonine or Antivert. They are also antihistamines and may be useful in two ways, then.

The hives that were seen on her endoscopy suggest that she probably needs more antihistamine. Zyrtec is used in relatively high doses by even young children with mastocytosis and is safe long-term. At her age she cetainly could tolerate 20 mg a day.

Is it possible for her to take any of the multi vitamin/mineral preparations? On her limited diet, she could well be short on things she needs.

Keep cool, Mom, and get through one day at a time. The meds you are giving Rylee are the right ones to give a person with mast cell activation syndrome, and specific testing for that or some other disorder can wait a little while you and she get her symptoms under control. You are a great advocate for her.

IP Logged

NZNancy
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - 07/12/11 at 15:17:00

Tassal, has your son ever been given antihistamines?

Is he taking anything for his stomach ulcer? If he is taking one of the proton pump inhibitors (omeprazol etc), these are no longer recommended for medium or long-term use because of potential side effects later. Can you ask his doctor about using an H2 antihistamine, such as Zantac or Pepcid? How old is your son?

IP Logged

still seeking
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #20 - 07/14/11 at 10:19:38

NZNancy.....thank you for suggesting that I try having Cincinnati Children's send Rylee's medical records to Dr. Castells.  I will try that!  Had no idea about the Benadryl....I will check into Antivert and see if it is safe for children. The Benadryl definitely does help when she is severly nauseated.   She doesn't take any liquid medications other than Gastrocrom.  She takes Zyrtec, Zantac, Entocort (and the Benadryl I have been giving her) and they are all pills.  
Thanks again....love this forum!

Angie (Rylee's mom)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print