Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Numbness (Read 5052 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Numbness
06/20/11 at 11:26:22

Hello,

I had a bad mast cell reaction last night.  I got a symptom that I don't get very often, but have had it before.  Specifically, my left arm started to go numb, almost like it was falling asleep, right before I got the attack.  As usual, I woke up from a sound sleep.  I knew I was going to have trouble that night as I had the "ringing in the ears" thing going on again.

This does not happen every time I get an attack, just once in awhile.  I get scared when it happens, as I am wondering if I am having a stroke or something.  If I get this, it is usually followed by a some muscle shaking in my legs.  When I take the antihistamine, it goes away.

Has anbody else ever had this?  I am wondering if perhaps the numbness is due to vasodialation, and the blood leaving the extremities.  I just wonder why on the left side only (ie afftecting the right side of my brain maybe?)  I am pretty sure that the shaking effect is due to mediator release as well.

I've had fully neuro workups in the past for seizures, etc, all came back completely normal as did brain MRI.

Just wondering if anybody else ever gets this?

Thanks!

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Re: Numbness
Reply #1 - 06/24/11 at 05:44:06

I've never felt it in my extremities like you posted about; I've slept wrong and woke up with an arm that was asleep and stuff like that.

What I can tell you is that when I flush I often have the feeling of numbness associated with it.  Especially when it is happening in my face around my nose and lips.  It will make them start tingling and they are not as sensitive to touch.

I wish I could tell you more; I'm just curious if you were flushing when you woke up the other night.  I've always assumed the "numbness" was associated with the flushing when I've experienced it.

I hope you are feeling better...

~Lucas

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

texan1960
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/24/11 at 07:01:17

Yes, I have it all the time...I get pain in my forearms and then numbness in my hands follows.  I have muscle fasticulations all the time...so bad the dr. ran some tests for ALS...but no signs, thank goodness.  This is accompanied by a dizzy spaced feeling.  The fact that yours went away with antihist hints that it is all part of the the lovely mast cell mess.  Unfortunately while anitihist do help me, I also need Lyrica and it is still not covering it, so am looking for other solutions.  To me, the neurological symptoms are really the scariest, but if I take an antihist and rest on the couch etc it does help...and I know it will pass.  It is easy to freak when in starts happening, but I try not to (well most of the time, haha!)

A joyful heart is good medicine.

IP Logged

starfish
Tutor

Ohio
Reply #3 - 07/03/11 at 09:03:27

I can tell I'm in trouble when my arms start going numb....time to sit/lay down, medicate, etc. Or pass out. Shocked

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/04/11 at 06:09:49

Me, too re. the numbness. I have gotten it one just one side- left arm & hand for me- and more recently on my face. My whole chin and ultimately lips, tongue, etc went numb after I took a beta blocker for a few days.

I also get the muscle fascilations sporadically & persistently, ringing in the ears during an episode & shaking afterwards. Mine reverses with a cessation of the trigger if I can identify it & antihistamines.

Sorry you're dealing with this too Sad I feel certain that mast cell activation is ONE cause of this that physicians do not seem to be familiar with.

Julie

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/04/11 at 17:21:40

When you say numb, do you mean tingly, like in peripheral neuropathy?

Joan

IP Logged

juliegee
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/05/11 at 14:54:02

For me, it's NUMB- like you've been in the cold for too long & lose sensation in a particular area. Weird.

I also have peripheral neuropathy symptoms. They are different- burning pain, etc.

Julie

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 07/06/11 at 05:56:26

Hi Jilli!
I worry about symptoms like that--you know the obvious condition it is a warning sign for--cardiac. Do you have a digital BP cuff? Please buy one if you dont. Remember you must keep the cuff level with your heart while using it for the reading to be accurate.

ok,, now if you have a BP cuff, take a reading during the numbing episode. The rule to say if it is cardiac or not (works most of the time but but not every time)... is this; when you take your BP, the numbers are seen as points.. less than 20 or greater than 100 points between the upper and lower numbers mean its cardiac, go to the nearest ER, see? I hope youre feeling better! Keeping my fingers crossed for your next appt and job situation. Youre in my prayers Sweety!!
love ya
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print