Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gastrocrom Question (Read 6497 times)
nycpots
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!
New York, NY
Gastrocrom Question
06/07/11 at 16:08:04

Hi gang,

I really hope someone can help re: the timing of Gastrocrom dosing.

Is the reason it is suggested to take the Gastrocrom 1/2 hour before meals because it needs to be on an empty stomach OR is it because it needs to be on an empty stomach AND it helps with mast cell activation during the act of digestion? The reason i ask is i have been trying to keep the dosing times the same during the day, even if my meal times vary so sometimes i don't each 1/2 hour after but, rather, 2 hours after etc. Is this NOT the preferred route? (I do find that eating tends to trigger reactions  Sad so we wanted to be sure i wasn't screwing things up withe the  Gastrocrom). Any advice would be truly appreciated.....meals are tough for me so if the gastrocrom helps with the actual act of digestion-induced mast cell activation, i'll make sure i always take it 30 minutes before....but if it's more 'systemic' in how it works, i won't worry about it (and in that case maybe it's even better to wait longer?).

Also,
1) can anyone share what side effects are typical while adjusting to Gastrocrom so i know what might be due to the Gastrocrom vs. other things?).

Thank you so much!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Re: Gastrocrom Question
Reply #1 - 06/07/11 at 17:28:17

My GI doc said that it doesn't really matter when it's taken, but I think it works better when I take it 1/2-1 hour before eating.  You can try it at different times and see what works best for you.  I have less a.m. nausea if I take it at night before bed.

Have you tried L-glutamine or bromelain to help with digestion?  If the ingredients in them aren't a problem for you (e.g., pineapple), they might help.  If you want to try them, pm me and I'll send you specifics.

Joan

IP Logged

nanciswell
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/12/11 at 02:37:16

Bumping this  thread to ask  for  anyones  experience with gastrocrom and it  side affects??

Also  , if  I only  get a  reaction with  certain foods  , I am supposing  I  would only  have to take  it  half hour prior to that meal??

nanci

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 06/12/11 at 03:46:25

Hi Nanci
No, Hon.. you take it regularly--it takes about 2 months (with most people) to feel and see the actual benefits from it so dont skip doses if possible. Im taking it but Im working my way up gradually to the full dose daily. Hope you feel better.
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 06/12/11 at 03:48:01

PS, GastroCrom isnt to calm your tummy down for a problem meal, its to calm mast cells all the time. (as much as possible).

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/21/11 at 06:56:14

I'm coming late to this, but just saw the posts.

Nanci,

If you know that a food causes symptoms, then the best thing to do is to avoid it.  There's a new supplement out there called Histame that is supposed to break down the histamine in foods.  I don't know if it will break down all histamine or not.  You might want to research it if you prefer not to give up foods that trigger you.

Joan

IP Logged

Steve
Rookie

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 06/29/11 at 15:57:21

Hello,

I was diagnosed with MCAS a few months ago and have been working Gastrocrom into my medicinal regiment.  I see Dr. Akin and he put me on 1 vial 4 times daily.  My question is about dosage.  I have been taking Gastrocrom for a while now and I believe I am beginning to experience positive effects.  My next appointment with the doctor is not for a few months, so I am wondering if most people out there find that they have more success with the increased dosage of 2 vials 4 times daily?  I believe that this may be in the near future for me depending on what the doc thinks, and I am curious about any positive or negative effects people have had with increasing the dosage to 2 vials 4 times daily?  Thanks.
-SWL

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right. -J.G.

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #7 - 06/29/11 at 18:39:45

I've had ear ringing since shortly after I went up to 8 vials/day.  I've since backed off, but the ringing persists.  I can't say 100 percent that it's from the gastrocrom, but, at the very least, it's an odd coincidence.  There are other patients who experience the same thing, and most of them have found it goes away when they stop taking it or lower the dosage.

Joan

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 06/30/11 at 01:04:25

Hi Steve!  Welcome!

I'm sure that if you have any questions about the medicine, if you were to write to Dr. Akin he'll be more than happy to answer them for you.  He's great at doing this!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Steve
Rookie

Boston, MA
Reply #9 - 07/07/11 at 08:12:34

Thanks for the responses.  I will certainly up the dosage as directed by Dr. Akin when he tells me to do so.  I have not really had any of the expected side effects yet.  I ran a fever for a few days, but that seems to have subsided and Dr. Akin didn't feel that it was related to the Gastrocrom.  We'll see how things progress as I move up to the higher dosage.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right. -J.G.

IP Logged

mikev
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!
st louis, mo
Reply #10 - 07/07/11 at 08:46:19

steve:
been on gastrocrom 8 vials a day for over 16 months no issues that I can tell. I always had ringing in my ears so nothing new there.
mikev

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 07/26/11 at 14:07:36

When I increased my dose, made my ears ring like Westminster Abby.  Had to cut back on it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print