Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my story (Read 2170 times)
goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

my story
06/03/11 at 02:20:40

First want too start out by saying I live in Southeast fl and was searching for a long time till I found out what I have, I am still not 100 percent certain this is what I have. I was told I have MSAD, as my tryptase is high normal, all labs are normal so far waiting for my 24 hr urine . I started about a year ago with flushing horrible tremors in my head, burning in my back which now has progressed to my back. A lot of neurological symptoms brain fog and things like irrational thoughts during these episodes. I was bedbound in the beginning could only get up too use the bathroom. I went all over the country including NIH they though I had a pheochromocytoma, said no but did not tell me what I had. I ended up at Ohio State for one month living in a hotel room where they finally said depression and pots, this is after many tests. I kept telling them I get real sick during the flushing episodes and feel horrible I urinate like every five minutes during these episodes. Anyway finally a month ago a friend of mine told me too go get a skin bx as hers came back positive and she convinced me too go and what a shock when it came back highly positive for mast cells. I went too Dr. Afrin in South Carolina and he said he is 100 percent sure I have this by the way I loved him thought he was great, he spent a lot of time with me, but did tell me I need a Dr closer too home so that is what I am searching for now. HE wanted me too start on Claritin 10mg twice a day and Pepcid 40mg twice a day I had a horrible reaction had syncope high BP my BP never goes low it only goes high and my biggest problem is tachycardia my heart rate as soon as I stand goes up to 150s even on atenlol. IF I try and not take my atenlol as I read it is bad for mast cells I can't function. I stopped all meds per Dr Afrin and just took benadry 12.5mg at night the next day I could not function it seemed liked the benadry made me very sick and I had a horrible mast cell activation I was bright red and burning up and could not function, I was thinking this was b/c the benadryl wore off and I had no other meds in my system. I do take a clonodine patch .1mg which has worked well for my BP except during the very bad mast cell attcks. Anyway now I am off all my meds except atenlol. Clonodine patch and my ativan and lunesta I take too sleep if my headache gets very bad I take tramadol I am at my wits end with this as, I used to be so active and I still try to walk and do my bike daily but its getting harder esp with this heat in Fla my question is I see on here the best dr's too go too are in Boston my daughter lives there so that will not be a problem but traveling and just the thought of it makes me sick right now does this sound like possible mast Cell activation disorder, I never get shocky or low BP or any rashes just heat and flushing and the other symptoms, I do notice sometimes I get numbness especially when I wake from a deep sleep in my arms. Ok so sorry for this long post I am so happy to have found this forum

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Re: my story
Reply #1 - 06/03/11 at 16:38:59

Hello and welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear that you have had such a hard time getting diagnosed, but, trust me, when I say that we know how you feel! I was undiagnosed (misdiagnosed) for 10 years...and I am a shocker! yikes!

You shoudl definitely go read my tips in the "Start here" part of the forum. It will give you ideas of how to identify your triggers. A lot of what we mast cell people do is figure out how to help ourselves because the doctors don't know how to or they don't care to try to figure it out. There are a handful of good docs, though, and since you can travel, you really should zip right up to Boston to Dr. Cem Akin (or his partner, Dr. Marianna Castells). I am just partial to Dr. Akin because he is my doc and sooooooooo skilled and compassionate. I am not impressed with Dr. Afrin suggesting Claritin and Pepsid. That is like baby medicine to mast cell people. Generally we are started off with Allegra, zyrtec, and Zantac. Dr. Afrin is also incorrect in telling you that you need a local doc. You are not going to find one, because the true experts can be counted on one hand, anbd there aren't any in Florida. Now what you should do is to become a patient of Dr. Akin or Castells, where you will be put on the proper meds and educated about triggers, etc. Then you find a local doc who is willing to take advice from your Boston doc. That is what many of us do. I am in Indiana. I have a lovely doctor here who prefers that I email Dr. Akin for answers to any questions she or I have in regard to if she needs to treat me for something and is unsure how it will affect my mast cells. Dr. Akin can also give us suggestions of things to check here and there if needed, and my local doc can write the orders.

I am really curious if the heat in Florida bothers you? Heat can often be a trigger....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

goldielove
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/04/11 at 05:08:54

thankyou for your reply, I did like Dr Afrin very much but I did get sick when I started the claritin and pepcid, he said he wanted too start me on the easiest meds at first as we could always progress up too the prescription meds. I could go too Boston but wanted too try and see if I could do it with a local MD here, but as you say most do not about this disease b/c if they did I would have been dx a long time ago. I am also an RN and did my research and even mentioned this too many MD's in my quest too find out what was wrong with me, I even told them I get dermagraphia and my labs were normal except for my Sed Rate was 73 sky high and my c reactive protein was very high as well. It annoys me that I did not get the right answers at least Dr. Afrin told me what he thought I had and helped me understand it. It was the first time a dx made sense too me as I had before told other Drs that I thought I had this but b/c my tryptase was normal they all poo pooed the idea. What gets me very upset is I even went too Vanderbilt and they said all my autonomic testing came back normal but could not give me an explination for what I had , and they wrote articles on MSAD and POTs UGHHHH. I just need to know what meds too start on as like I said above the claritin made me very ill and so did the pepcid of course i started them together and did not start them one at a time. How hard is it too get into Boston too see Dr. Akin and how do I get in touch with them. My daughter went tooo college there and now is in law school and she lives five minutes from downtown boston. Here is some interesting things I thought I should mention both my children as kids had hives my daughter in particular had such bad reactions too all antibiotics that when she had too take antibiotics for things like a simple ear infection she ended up in the hospital and tooo this day she can't take any antibiotics except cipro othewise she gets a lupus type reaction with swelling and hives and weakness and her throat closes. Now my son always got hives for another reason he never had a problem with antibiotics, but he would get unexplained hives. At 17 he had his first very bad reaction too antibiotics and ended up in the hospital and had too be put on massive doses of prednisone until they could control his reactions. He was very sick and was unable to walk they could not figure out what was wrong with him and he kept having outbreaks of bad hives and swelling of his feet and mouth and eyes, finally I found a Dr at Celevland Clinic Weston who did a cu index test at that time it was for mast cell disease and his was sky high, he was on meds for one year and is not a healthy 21 year old. My other question is should I get my kids tested b/f they have problems recently my son had a problem and it showed an enlarged spleen but he is not having any problems at all , I know as a mother I worry more about my kids then myself even though I am the one with the problems now. Ok thanks so much

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 06/04/11 at 13:57:02

Hi Goldie,
Great to have you here but I wish you werent ill. They say that mast cell disorders dont run in families--but lately theve found at least a handful of families where it is, so theyre rethinking that stance. It cant hurt to have family members tested IF you see symptoms of it.

Im sorry youve been so ill. I can see a few problems with your meds.  Zantaz is the usually med the doctors use with us, 300 mg twice a day. Pepcid isnt bad but Zantaz is also an antihistamine so it works double duty for you. You need some kind of H1 and H2 meds twice a day.

Plus, that clonidine patch?? If you have CM, you should switch to by mouth pill, any type of patches react negatively with us.

You do need to come off that Atenolol (I was on 100 mg when I was diagnosed, I know that isnt easy). Taper off it veryyyy small bits over a veryy long time--we do better on calcium channel blockers (Cardizem). That tachycardia, is something most of us live with and its terribly annoying, but they are working on finding us a different med to help it.

Im another one who reacts to antibiotics, so they put me in the hospital and give me solumedrol with each dose. It worked Smiley

I hope this answers some of your questions and any thing else you think of, just ask away! Nice to meet another Florida girl.
hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print