Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Looking for help taking the "un" out of "unknown: (Read 1662 times)
LaVerne
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!
Austin, TX
Looking for help taking the "un" out of "unknown:
06/09/11 at 07:48:39

Hi,

I'm in that scary stage right now.  "It" finaly has a name, sort of,  mastocytosis - but "it" is an unknown.  And I don't like unknowns.  Not one little bit.  

A bit of my background. I'm a 66 yr old female living in central texas.  I have what doctors usually say is a "complicated history"  Obviously, even more complicated now.  I had a near fatal auto accident in 1998 that overall left me with what I thought was little long term effects.  I had Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) which caused scaring on my lungs which has resulted in bronchectasis.  Due to ruptured spleen, which was removed, I have over the years, had recurring bacterial lung infections including 2 bouts with MAC.  I also have coronary artery disease resulting in 2 stents.

About 18 months ago, I started on a downward trend that could not fully be accounted for by my known problems.  Fatigue, coughing, severe sweating episodes, stomach problems, fuzzy thinking and just not feeling well. After going rounds between my pulmonologist, cardiologist and infectious disease doctor, I was hospitalized for a week in February. My infectious disease doctor decided to think outside the box, so ordered a numbr of off the wall tests.  One of them showed a very high tryptase level, which prompted him to send me to a hematologist for a bone marrow biopsy.  Results came back on Monday confirming mastocytosis so I am just starting to try to understand this.  He started me on Gastrochrom and I'll see him again in 2 weeks.

The internet can be a blessing and a curse  Smiley  I've searched and read and am trying to figure where I fit in all of this.

I know I have a long way to go but I'm very happy to have a place to listen, learn and question.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: Looking for help taking the "un" out of "unknown:
Reply #1 - 06/09/11 at 09:01:57

Hi LaVerne,

Welcome to our COMPLICATED family, I'm sure you'll find yourself amongst friends who TOTALLY understand exactly what you are saying!   If I had a dollar for every time I've had a doctor say, "Well, I've never seen that before" I'd be taking 1st class trips around the world!!!

LaVerne, mastocytosis is the only disease which will give an elevated tryptase when you are not in a crisis.  If it's elevated while in a crisis, then that's anaphylaxis.  Mast Cell Disorders are complex because the mast cell is a key cell of our immune defense and it's found throughout the body.  We can't live without it for it's a major defender of invading germs, etc.  We need it, but when it goes haywire, it wrecks havoc throughout the body, thus the fact that everything goes haywire with it!  This is why so many of us have complex cases for our bodies create reactions in many diverse ways that doctors who don't know about mast cell disorders can't put the pieces of the puzzle together.  

Your doctor is to be commended for having put them together!!!  He's a keeper, LaVerne!

As to your situation, if your doctor can keep masto in mind, he will begin to see things come together.  However, the problem is that he may not know of the larger, newly encompasing diagnosis of MCAD, mast cell activation disorder.  Not all of us are classic Systemic Mastocytosis (SM) cases and we fall outside of this very restrictive diagnosis.  This larger diagnosis encompasses autoimmune patients as well as some of the other forms of mast cell disorder activity.   Your doctor needs updated information, and if you will send me a PM with your email address, I'll be more than happy to send you some of the recent information on this diagnosis and you doctor can use this to help him fit some of the pieces of the puzzle together.  

I'm also sure that once you begin to be properly medicated, you will find that your symptoms will improve.  It could be that there is also something else going wrong with you beside the mast cell disorder, however, the fact that you do have mastocytosis is indeed indicated by the elevated tryptase levels.  

As to the UN of Unknown, I think you can finally give a sigh of relief, for I'd say your doctor has finally found it.  I am sorry, LaVerne, that you are sick, but I must say that be thankful that it's masto and not some other horrible illness like Lupus or something worse like Cancer.  None of us like being sick, but for the great majority of us, masto in truth is really nothing more than a huge inconvenience in that it has made us horrendously allergic people.  I, personally, am thankful that it's masto and not something worse!!  If I had to get sick, at least it was with something relatively mild, one that I can learn to live with.  And this is why we all are hear, helping one another to learn to live with our disease and to gain victories over it!

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Looking for help taking the "un" out of "unknown:
Reply #2 - 06/10/11 at 10:56:56

Hi Laverne!!
I just wanted to welcome you here and to tell you that you have a lot of learning to do BUT the good news is that, it will all help you feel so much better Smiley
Welcome to the group!
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print