Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
THIS IS MY STORY PETER (Read 14849 times)
peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: THIS IS MY STORY PETER
Reply #15 - 09/07/11 at 14:14:42

anaphylaxis;Hymenoptera venom allergy;hypersensitivity reaction;mast cell;tryptase;venom immunotherapy
Summary
Background
During a systemic hypersensitivity reaction (SR), an increase in serum tryptase compared to the baseline value is an indicator of mast cell activation, most often due to an IgE-mediated mechanism.
Objective
To study the relevance of an increase in serum tryptase below the upper normal value of 11.4 ng/mL.
Methods
Serum tryptase levels were measured in 35 patients with Hymenoptera venom hypersensitivity before and during venom exposure. Of these, 20 developed SR to stings or following venom injections during immunotherapy (reactors), while 15 tolerated reexposure to stings or venom injections during immunotherapy without SR (non-reactors). Serum tryptase was estimated at 2, 5 and 24 h after exposure and was compared to a baseline value obtained before or at least 72 h after exposure.
Results
Considering circadian variation of serum tryptase, a relative increase to ≥135% of the baseline value (relative delta bound) was defined to indicate mast cell activation. Such an increase was observed in 17 of 20 reactors (85%), but none of 15 non-reactors. A serum tryptase of ≥11.4 ng/mL following venom exposure was observed in eight of the 20 reactors (40%) and 2 (13.3%) of the 15 non-reactors. Both these non-reactors also had an elevated baseline serum tryptase.
Conclusions and Clinical Relevance
Serum tryptase values obtained during a suspected hypersensitivity reaction must always be compared to a baseline value. A relative tryptase increase to ≥135% of the baseline value during a suspected hypersensitivity reaction indicates mast cell activation even below 11.4 ng/mL.

IP Logged

peter
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: THIS IS MY STORY PETER
Reply #16 - 09/12/11 at 13:59:58

7 CONCLUSIONS
The current use of PhVIT in clinical practice in the NHS appears to be based on limited and poor
quality clinical effectiveness research.
The AG did not identify any studies of PhVIT that directly addressed the original decision problem
set for this appraisal i.e. to compare the use of PhVIT with the alternative treatment options of advice
on the avoidance of bee and wasp venom, HDA and/or AAIs.
This lack of evidence and the need to identify data to inform the development of an economic model
prompted the AG to broaden the search criteria for the systematic review in order to compare PhVIT
with other PhVIT and PhVIT vs non-PhVIT, to consider data from non-comparative studies of PhVIT
and to examine studies reporting the clinical effectiveness of non-PhVIT.
In general research in the area is limited to small scale studies which do not appear to have been
carried out using robust methods and none of the studies reported on the use of PhVIT within the UK.
There is also heterogeneity in the published evidence related to the methods of PhVIT administration
and length of treatment described in the trials. Therefore conclusions regarding the clinical
effectiveness of PhVIT to reduce the rate of future systemic reactions in patients with history of bee
and/or wasp allergic reaction cannot be drawn with any confidence. Available evidence indicates that
sting reactions following the use of PhVIT are low and that the ARs related to treatment are minor
and easily treatable.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print