Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yoga and Masto (Read 3867 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Yoga and Masto
05/14/11 at 04:02:29

Hello,

I would like to hear from anybody who does yoga.  Have you found it to be helpful for coping with your masto?  Has it helped your symptoms?

I have found that it seems to help.  Following my most recent flare up, I have decided to try to do some yoga in the morning and at night to see if helps to alleviate stress, as well as some of the nervous system and low blood pressure symptoms I experience from the masto.  For me, early mornings are the WORST, right after I wake up!!!  I feel like I got hit by a truck most days, with low blood pressure, achy, dragging to the max!

For those of you who would like to try it, I just got a beginning yoga tape by Rodney Yee that seemed to fit the bill.  He's a good teacher, and really brings out the subtle points.  He is also very good at instructing relaxation.  I am hoping that learning active relaxation will be useful for calming me down when I start to get shock symptoms.  Here's the link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Rodney-Yees-Yoga-Beginners-Yee/dp/B001F76OKC/ref=sr_1_2?ie...

It has a 40 minute section on how to do the basic poses (which was informative for me, even though I have done it quite a bit before), It also has a 20 minute practice for the morning and a 15 minute portion for the evening:  short and sweet to get you going in the morning and for after work, when you need a "stress-detox".  

I am going to give it a try for a few weeks and see if doing yoga helps me over the rough spot that I am experiencing right now.  If anyone has any other good DVD's or information that they would like to share, or perhaps your own personal experience doing yoga, please let me know.

I think I will MOST DEFINITELY avoid the type of yoga that you do in a hot room... not such a good idea for masto folks... can't get that core temp too high or we could shock out.

Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Yoga and Masto
Reply #1 - 05/14/11 at 10:16:05

Jilli,
I used to do an hour a day--when I was much younger. Im exercised induced now so Im a slight bit afraid but--if I start slowly and gently in the AC, why not?? Im going to start again and see if it helps. We can compare notes Smiley
love ya
me

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/15/11 at 03:50:32

YAY Ramona!  I am so proud of you!!!   Grin Go for it girl!!!You can start very slowly, move at your own pace, even it is only to go back and review deep breathing.  Then do things that you can do while you sit down, then  the poses you do on the floor, etc... That is what I do.  I work my way up to what I can do, and pass on those things I can't and save them for a later day when I get stronger.

I try to do some of the relaxation techniques I learned through yoga and mindfullness meditation whenever I feel the symptoms coming on. I take a Benedryl, and put my epipen and cell phone close by and say a good prayer for the Lord to take care of me.  Then I will  lay down, then prop my feet up over my heart with pillows so that I don't pass out.  I then start to do the deep breathing and focus on relaxing my body, each muscle, just like in yoga class when we did guided relaxation.  This helps me not be so afraid when symptoms are  happening, and keeps the heart rate down. I am hoping that if I do yoga, some prayer, and meditation each day, I will get better and better at relaxing myself so that when I get more serious symptoms, I won't panic and add to the elevated heart rate.  I will just drop automatically into my natural relaxation, and that will make me better able to take more medicine or epipen, and call 911 if needed.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 05/17/11 at 02:47:51

Im proud of you too Jilli Smiley We're gonna beat this--at least into submission LOL...
Hugs and love
me

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/17/11 at 08:43:25

I'm glad to see you talking about yoga. I did yoga for many years, but in the last few that I have been much more sick, I haven't been going to classes. I know I need to start again, as it always makes a difference for me.

I especially like the restorative yoga, where you hold the poses for a long time, supported by props. This is so good for supporting the adrenals and the immune system.

One of the good things about yoga, is that there are a variety of styles. I used to do Iyengar, which is very active and aggressive. That is too hard for me now, but there are much gentler styles to build strength back up. Now I just need to do it!

Jilli, how hard are the poses in the Rodney Yee DVD? I find it helps a lot to have some company. I like classes, but can't always keep up now, so DVDs might be a good choice to get motivated. What kind of poses is he using in the two practices he has on this one?

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 05/20/11 at 13:09:44

This is a beginning video, so the poses aren't hard at all.  As I recall, these are the poses:

Resting pose
Downward Dog
Warrior pose
Side Bend
Mountain Pose
Forward Bend
Backward Bend
Mini-Sun Salutation
Cobra Pose

Really basic, pretty easy.  I have not had a problem so far with them.  On the days that I do it, so far, I have to say, I do feel better.  I usually get up in the morning, take my antihistamine, do the yoga, THEN eat.  I don't think you are supposed to eat before doing yoga.

I usually feel pretty awful when I get up in the morning, and I thought this would be a way to get me out of the "sit and stares".  Does anybody do that?  You feel awful and then you just sit there for awhile, not even taking your medicine, you just STARE! I thought this would give me something to think about besides "Oh yuk, it's morning, I feel sick again." Then you sit there and feel awful until your medicine kicks in.  Granted, it is hard to get up and do yoga first thing when you are feeling awful, that takes some real effort.  However, I have found that after I do this little bit of gentle yoga,  it seems to help me almost as much as swallowing my medicine.  Granted, maybe its just a a placebo effec" because I'm hoping the yoga works, but who cares what the cause is if it makes me feel better?"

If you happen on any other good yoga DVDs, please let me know.  I am going to try to do this and see what happens.  I need to really work on stress relief, so I am trying to do yoga, some mindfullness meditation, and some prayer/Bible study.  We'll see if this all helps! Smiley

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 06/12/11 at 02:49:34

Hello!!

Keeping up with my yoga and it seems to be helping!  I found this great DVD  by Rodney Yee on meditation and breathing (calms me down).  I really like it a lot! This is very well filmed, great scenary, calming music,and the everthing is well explained.

http://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Breathing-Meditation-Rodney-Yee/dp/B000094J6K/r...

I got stressed out this past week and started to feel the masto symptoms kicking in BIGTIME.  I did this DVD and then I started to feel better.  I think it nipped the stress "in the bud" so to speak, and got me more relaxed again.  I am hoping this will cut down on the triggering.  I am hoping some of these breathing techniques will help if I start to go into an attack.  Trying not to panic when it gets really bad.

You might want to give this a try if the stress is a trigger for you.  

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/13/11 at 05:16:18

Check out this study kids:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21654972

Interesting stuff about yoga and stress responses.  Thought you might like to read this.

I think it is helping me some.  Went to the doc for an appointment today and my heart rate was pretty low, below 60.  I'm getting all peaced out!  Boy, do I need some peace!

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #8 - 06/13/11 at 06:30:14

I can't say enough about how much yoga helps my mind and body.  It was a mainstay for feeling better during my many undiagnosed years.  I sometimes have to wait until later in the morning, but earlier in the day seems to help me feel better ALL day.  Gentle stretching helps me sleep, because it reduces pain.

Be careful to begin slowly.  I use some routines that I DVR from my satellite TV.  I think it's FIT-TV station.  Most exercise channels have some yoga programming.  Some routines start with some poses for beginners and get progressively harder towards the end.  If I'm having a bad day, I just stop when it gets too difficult and do the first part of a different show.

If you've never done yoga before, it's a good idea to go to a weekly class for a few months so you learn correct ways to position yourself.  Otherwise, you can cause injury.  Once you learn how to get the most from the poses, safely, you can do it at home.  If you have exercise induced problems, take your meds an hour before you begin.

Also be aware that backbends can trigger an adrenalin release, so be gentle on yourself with those until you get used to it.

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 06/13/11 at 08:39:23

Thanks Joan for the good tips!  I agree, start slowly.  I have taken quite a bit of yoga before.  Usually, after I flare up.  I drop back and go to very basic and simple forms  and poses and work my way up as I feel better.  I pretty much do that with all exercise.  If I flare up, then start to feel better, I start with small walks, and then go from there.  

Just wondering Joan, what are your thoughts on doing the inverted poses?  I shy away from them a little bit when I am more reactive.  How about you?

Yes, always take your meds before you do it!!!  I sometimes take my Gastrcrom right in my exercise water bottle so I get it on board when I need it the most.  

Another tip I've been given is to eat more salt early during the day, followed by water.  You can do this with something healthy, like nuts if you aren't allergic to them.  It keeps your volume up all day long.  I tend towards low blood pressure, and this seems to help me.  I also drink some Pedialyte on the "bad" days.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print