Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sudden Masto Attack? (Read 2114 times)
r123
Rookie

I Love YaBB 2!

Sudden Masto Attack?
06/09/11 at 12:03:24

Last night I was on the train on the way home from where I work, and it was very hot out yesterday and I had rushed a bit to the train so I was flushed (although I flush usually at least once a day even if it's not hot, so that's not uncommon) however I got on the train and suddenly couldn't stop coughing and I couldn't catch my breath.

This has happened few other times, but only 3 of those times were bad, and two of them  were from IV Medication. This time however I don't know what caused it, and since I was by myself it was pretty scary. When I realized i wasn't going to stop coughing right away like I sometimes do, I took a benedryl and drank a bottle of ice water and I even took two vials of gastrocrom just in case it would help. I had my epipen but i've never used it before and I didn't want to unless I had to. After 10-15 minutes or so, the coughing slowed, although I was coughing a little for the rest of the night. After the coughing slowed my head started pounding, and my blood pressure felt low, although for the last few months it's not uncommon for my blood pressure to suddenly drop.

I contacted another Masto patient to ask what they do in that situation, besides use their epipen and they suggested having an inhaler, such as intal or (I can't remember the other name they mentioned)

What do you guys reccommend? I am off from work today, however I work again tomorrow (I have a 2+ hr commute) and I'd like to have something additional, such as an inhaler or something to bring with me just in case.

Also any tips for avoiding the sudden drops in blood pressure I often get?

And would you consider what I experienced to be anaphylaxis? I have a hard time believing that something that can clear up on it's own (it didn't seem to last night, but in the past it has), is actually anaphylaxis... And is it possible that since an Epi-Pen is adrenaline, that maybe my body produces a lot of adrenaline on it's own and that could have help fix it?

I'm just curious about if this has happened to other people and how they handled it!
Thanks!
Rachael

IP Logged

nelson1600
Tutor

Jack of All Trades & a
Master of None :)
Melissa, TX
Re: Sudden Masto Attack?
Reply #1 - 06/09/11 at 12:24:01

Rachel,

That is exactly how I found out about my masto...  Well not exactly; I would wake in the middle of the night from a dead sleep with my sheets drenched in sweat coughing (not able to breath); then it started happening in the shower when I would get ready in the morning; and finally one day I coughed until I blacked out hitting the kitchen floor.

It was definitely brought on by an increase in heat and my allergist originally gave me an inhaler to use in conjunction with an epipen and a prescription for Singulair and Xyxal.

I can tell you this about the inhaler; he gave me Ventolin and for me *It does not work*; not in the slightest...  I have used it multiple times because my attitude is better something than nothing.

I'm not sure what the others on the site will tell you, and my "cough" attacks slowed and faded last year along with the heat.  One of my greatest fears is having to deal with them again this year as it heats up.

From what I have read from the forum and in my own circumstances with other things that cause me to react; an extra dose of Zyrtec before you head off to the train would probably not be a bad idea; and I know what you mean about the ice water.

I wish you the best in your search for answers and be careful in the heat...

~Lucas

Doctor's are glorified auto mechanics of the human body; make sure you find one that you trust...

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #2 - 06/10/11 at 11:26:32

Great answer Lucas!

Rachael,  I see a few things there.  First give yourself time, NO running especially in the heat! That alone will make you react and give you trouble breathing. Walk slow, dont get rushed, stay in cool air--and if you cant , slip a feel cold packs under your clothes to help you tolerate the heat and the walk to the train for work or home. You might need to find another way of transport to stay cool.

Lucas is right, anytime you feel you are reacting (or will be in a situation where you might react), take an extra antihistamine--whichever one works best for you. If you are already reacting, go to the restroom and put cold water on your face and arms, sip some too.  Take your antihistamine and try to relax until it kicks in. The best solution is not to be in that situation again. I know, easier said than done, right? Im sorry Hon.

You keep your ER kit with you right? It sounds like you reacted but didnt go into shock.  I hope things get better for you.
Hugs
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

caormiston
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/10/11 at 16:39:28

Ah Yes Rachael - hurrying in the heat and coughing attacks.  Sounds too familiar.  Only, I live in the freezing Northwest and have those coughing attacks whenever I exercise, garden heavily or am stressed out.  So far I've been able to keep myself afloat by downing some Benedryl and some Xanax and keeping VERY still. I don't have an Epi pen. I've learned from the people on this forum to do exactly what Lucas and Ramona have advised - I believe they've saved me some trips to the ER.  So now I medicate before hand and carry meds with me.  And I try not to rush, I try to stay calm (being an older adult helps with the calming - only the dog and hub to chase after and they are as slow as I am!).
I wish you well -
Candace

IP Logged

Susan
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/10/11 at 19:24:11

I do use an inhaler for the kind of situation you describe. I have been told I have exercise induced asthma, even though I don't have very classic asthma symptoms.

Before I started antihistamines, I would get VERY short of breath with the slightest exertion. I would also get very flushed, and my heart would race, and my blood pressure would jump around. Strangest of all, I would get better with rest, but then I would have an attack again out of the blue, 3-4 hours later. Running like you were would have put me over the edge.

I use Atrovent, which is often used in COPD. It relaxes the bronchial tubes and esophagus. It is slower acting than the usual inhalers used with asthma, but it does not stress my heart.

I will say, though, that since I am taking more antihistamines, I rarely need my inhaler. The antihistamines have made me much less reactive. Interesting, the Zantac has been as important for me with the breathing symptoms as Zyrtec is.

Susan

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Chronic neurological infections
Diagnosed with Mastocytosis August 2011

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print