Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Welcome to our forum.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
low tolerance to these meds--what's more mild/gentle to take? (Read 2464 times)
Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

low tolerance to these meds--what's more mild/gentle to take?
05/02/11 at 10:08:33

Hi all,
I was just reading the list of meds everyone is on to deal with their mast cell diseases.  Boy oh boy!!!!   I think if I took a med regime like that I would be a zombie, bedridden, or dead.  I'm very taken aback.  
I only weigh 100 pounds and I feel like that's way too much for me.  I'm just not sure I could tolerate the amount of meds everyone on here takes.
At this point, I take:
Toperol 6 1/4 mg (I cut my 25 mg pill into quarters)---Did try to get off and my tachy, heart pounding, twitching, etc. was TERRIBLE
Singulair 10 mg
Pepcid 20 mg twice daily
Benadryl 12.5 mg. children's liquid as needed.

I tried taking Claritin and I felt like I was reacting to it so I stopped. I tried taking Zyrtec children's liquid today only 5 mg. and I felt intoxicated.    I took an adult strength Benadryl 25 mg pill a week ago before bed and my heart felt like it was beating super slow all the next day.  I hated the way I felt after that.  Almost like I was so groggy I was lucky I actually awakened.

Any other ideas for more gentle meds for me to try?

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: low tolerance to these meds--what's more mild/gentle to take?
Reply #1 - 05/02/11 at 17:08:37

Ok, sorry if I re visit meds you've already tried! I wish I could keep everyone straight! But can't even keep myself straight:)

You metabolize medicine differently, so good for you for taking less.
On the childrens liquids I'd react horribly to those, the liquids have tons I'd be allergic to that would make me woozy. So again never take inert ingredients lightly especially artificial sweeteners etc.
Your benadryl reaction sounds exactly like my Atarax (hydroxyzine)reaction, as of current I have no desire to re try that one!  Many on here love it, so again it's individual in your medication combo!

Allegra/fexofenadine  have you tried that?
Zantac/ Ranitidine instead of Pepcid
Zyrtec? for some reason I'm thinking you've tried that one
Chlorpheniramine Maleate ( Chlor-trimaton) I know Ramona has some experience with that one, I'm not sure anyone is on it and prefers it to some of the other main antihistimines allegra/zyrtec.

Just keep in mind you need the smaller dosages, and make sure whatever you are divvying up that it can be cut into smaller dosages, some pills it is vital they are not cut and they should not be cut. So you need a smaller dosage pill.  

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 05/02/11 at 17:10:36

Your POTS can be causing difficulty with the medications possibly?

IP Logged

Godsgal
Tutor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/03/11 at 03:35:15

I took the children's brand of Zyrtec....wow, that about knocked me out!!  Only 5 mg!!!  I don't know how people on here take as much as they do!

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/09/11 at 13:05:10

We get used to it and take the more sedating ones at night. Lets put it this way, its a choice of being sick or being better, a bit dry mouthed and taking our meds.. I know how scary it is at first but when you start feeling better, you'll understand Smiley
Zyrtec should be taken at night--its sedating
Singular should be taken in the AM, gives you energy
Pepcid isnt gonna cut it, go back on Zantac twice a day.
Hope youre better soon,
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print