Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  We've upgraded to YaBB 2!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sending Jill get well vibes! Just sent home from hospital but still shocking (Read 2088 times)
DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Sending Jill get well vibes! Just sent home from hospital but still shocking
04/22/11 at 08:48:46

Hey guys,
Jill has been in the hospital shocking for days and they actually just booted her out even though she is still shocking! So, anyone wanting to send get well messages, this is the place to do it!

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Re: Sending Jill get well vibes! Just sent home from hospital but still shocking
Reply #1 - 04/22/11 at 10:36:31

I am so angry right now at the way she was treated.. I want to shake that hospital out of their lethergy and INSIST they figure out THEIR lack of knowledge and do a 180 turn or we will make sure no masto patient ever trusts them again. Im mad as hell and Im not gonna let Jilli take their abuse Sad

Jilli.. please let me know ir there is ANYTHING I can do.. I can make some hellacious phone calls that will curdle their skin and let them know I can always post a web page about their lack of care and professionalism.

Jilli, please please pop a prednisone 20 mg at least and think SERIOUSLY about going to a different hospital tonight!! I dont want you home alone.. You cant take chances right now... I will not rest until I know you are in safe hands!!!!!\
Love you BIG BUNCHES
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Sending Jill get well vibes! Just sent home from hospital but still shocking
Reply #2 - 04/23/11 at 09:37:24

Thanks Deb and Ramona!  I went and stayed and my friends house last night.  She's a doctor, so that helped.

I fell asleep straight away!  I had not slept for a couple days.  I woke up feeling awful this morning, ears ringing and such, but am doing better here today.  Was able to go out and get some groceries and such.  Taking it real easy though.

Going to my friends for Easter dinner tomorrow.  I talked to my next door neighbors, they are awesome.  They said to knock on the door anytime I feel sick.  One of them has a medical condition too, so she understands.

I guess they did not officially consider my condition shock as my throat didn't close shut.  I mean, I had everything else?  So because the throat didn't close up, it isn't considered "life threatening" so my insurance wouldn't cover the hospital stay any longer.  They also felt that since the tryptase dropped, I had turned the corner.

You know, as masto patients, I think we really have to work with these insurance companies on these subtle points.  I am going to contact my insurer and let them know about this, and get the straight facts.  I suspect it was some misinterpretation.  I have good insurance, so it should be covered.   My insurer has been great about everything so far, very understanding.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #3 - 04/23/11 at 10:36:06

Hi Sweety,
Im just glad youre ok.. smart move lastnight. Im glad you will be with friends tomorrow, but what about tonight??? Please stay with someone, one more night.

I totally agree with you about the hospitals attitude, mis-interpretation of shock and the insurance companies reaction..

I hope you are feeling ok for now and on a small dose of prednisone.

Love you much!
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/24/11 at 17:29:32

Hang in there Jill! I agree with the insurance comment however the fault totally lies with the uneducated medical staff.  If they do not use the correct verbage then of course insurance cannot continue coverage. It was Anaphylaxis! If they don't understand masto then IA was right in their face. They were negligent in recognizing that.  I'm thinking a highlighted Dr Castelles form  with the description of anaphylaxis  highlighted along with protocol. I think some of us should show up at that hospital Ramona and say, are you looking at me, cuz your weren't lookin at our Jilly and now we are lookin at you, then it's time for an official headbutt of the entire attending medical staff! Time to pull their heads out of the 18th century medical books and OH, possibly listen to the patient. Rather than just guessing on their own! Holy cow, the way they act it's like we WANT to be there, so blessed to be in their presence, just awaiting their supreme choice of doing nothing!  Your attending allergist/doctor needs to be in touch with the experts Pronto! Arggggghhhh!!! I'm glad you have a friend that is a physician, that's the place to sleep!

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 04/24/11 at 17:45:24

Jilly,
Here's the  NIH's description of  anaphylaxis and in the description tell the said medical staff to note the separate list of the symptoms, each symptom is not followed with an and continuing on to the next symptom, and they actually introduce the symptom list as MAY include the following, leaving room for the said emergency physician to actually notice more symptoms. However this staff was lucky enough to have a patient tell them exactly what was going on and still remain uneducated and arrogant,,,,, maybe Deb could tutor them so they can read the literature properly Smiley  oooooohhhhhhhh good one Smiley

Symptoms

Symptoms develop rapidly, often within seconds or minutes. They may include the following:

* Abdominal pain or cramping
   * Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds
   * Anxiety
   * Confusion
   * Cough
   * Diarrhea
   * Difficulty breathing
   * Difficulty swallowing
   * Fainting, light-headedness, dizziness
   * Hives, itchiness
   * Nasal congestion
   * Nausea, vomiting
   * Palpitations
   * Skin redness
   * Slurred speech
   * Wheezing
citation for information is : http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000844.htm

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print