Send Topic Print
Dizzy episode (Read 3694 times)
Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Dizzy episode
04/17/11 at 06:24:42

Here's another interesting story for you...

Yesterday I held a birthday party for half a dozen 4-7 year olds (it was my daughter's sixth birth on Friday).  Around noon we went to the party store to purchase a bunch of balloons... whoa!  As soon as I got in the car with all those balloons I started feeling tingly/itchy all over.  I felt better once we got home, but then I made the mistake of blowing up a bunch of latex balloons.  I felt fine the rest of the day... I thought the threat had passed.  But... this morning when I woke up I was SO DIZZY!  And nauseated Undecided  I laid down on the couch (I couldn't even take my regular medications because I was so dizzy/nauseated) and took a dose of liquid Benadryl.

I've never been "allergic" to latex before... but I'm kind of thinking the balloons were behind this episode.  What do you think?

I swear that apart from the recurring abdominal pain, peeing, and the occasional dizziness I'm feeling fine! Cool  Just comparing notes.

Heather

We're all in this thing together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears
(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Sandi
Guiding Light

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Dizzy episode
Reply #1 - 04/17/11 at 06:51:24

Me thinks yes, it was the latex Heather.  Mostly due to the nausea/dizziness. Those balloons were still in the house overnight right? So when you came out the "air" was filled with the lovely essense of latex. Don't forget to open up some windows and clear the air! Zee latex or something in the balloons triggerd ye masties matey so gets some rest? Why am I speaking pirate?

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #2 - 04/17/11 at 08:40:17

Heather, a question....Have you ever shown a reaction to Latex before?

If not, then I'm thinking it's not the balloons themselves, but it could be some other chemical they use in the process.  There are other things involved in balloons other than the obvious latex and I'm thinking that it was one of those things that you reacted to instead, especially if you've not shown any other issues with latex.   Some even have perfumes added!!

Yet, here's another trigger I'll bet you didn't think of - blowing up the balloons!   Youve mentioned to me before that you've had your breathing abilities change, much like I have and that this has triggered you.    Well, this is POTs related and the kind of pressure your diaphram exerts upon the vagal nerve, this is very likely one of the triggers.  

So I think you've got two marks against you!!!

My husband saw me blowing up balloons one day and begin flushing - he stopped me right away cause he knew what was coming next!!!   I'm thinking it may have been the same for you!!

Lisa

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #3 - 04/17/11 at 12:58:15

Interesting ideas...

The balloons have been in the house all day.  So... we'll see if I have the same problem tomorrow morning!  I felt fine during the night.  No night sweats... no weird dreams about plunging off the side of a cliff.  It was just when I got out of bed (in an upright position) that the dizziness started.    

It's possible that some other chemical besides latex is what bothered me.  I was very careful while inflating the balloons.  I sat on the floor, went slowly, and took my mouth off while breathing in... there was a powdery coating on the inside of the balloons.  Yuck.  It tasted awful and made my lips tingle.  I didn't get dizzy at the time though... so I can't really say it was POTS.  

Next time I swear I'll use a balloon pump... sometimes I'm just too determined to be a normal mom!

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #4 - 04/17/11 at 14:13:56

From what I googled, that white power is Talc!   It could very well have been the problem especially since when you held it to your lips they tingled!!  Get that into your lungs and see what trouble it may cause!!!   I think that's your culprit Heather!!!   Not the baloons themselves.  I know I gagged pretty good the last time I messed with balloons and it seemed like the talc was the guy who gagged me!!!

Who said normal mothers don't use the pumps????   Heather, finding short cuts to our duties doesn't mean we're shortcutting on our kids and our motherhood.  We're only allowing our brains to help us find ways around tedious jobs!!   That kind of reasoning will have you go back to beating rugs and sweeping floors with a broom and getting down on all 4s scrubbing floors!!   Have you ever tried to wash your clothing by hand over a scrub sink?   Well here in Brazil, when I arrived here 20 years ago, a washing machine was an incredibly expensive item and a large quantity of women couldn't afford it so they either washed their clothes by hand or sent it to a washer woman!!!  You talk about HARD WORK!!!   Sheesh!!   Nope, some short cuts are really IMPROVEMENTS.   Making a cake by scratch is the best way to bake - it's healthier and tastier and that's real motherhood!!  But blowing up balloons are for the birds!!   GET A PUMP KIDDO!!!   and NO GUILT TRIPS!!!    Cool

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/18/11 at 00:07:38

Hi Heather ,

I can see the balloons are a likely canditate . I had a reaction in a DIY store 2 yrs ago . So I wandered what else they sold which may have given you problems ?

Inhaled talc for me is trouble . I am fine with it in medications .

Also does positive stress fill your bucket ?

I hope this settles for you Wink
Jose

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #6 - 04/18/11 at 00:46:18

No reaction this morning Smiley

So... I'd say this means... "Don't blow up any more latex balloons using your mouth, silly head!!"  Thank God I'm not reacting just from touching them or having them in my house.

Yesterday was just as fun/stressful as the day before, so I don't think stress was the main trigger in this particular episode.  We went to a birthday party at the roller rink and then a potluck dinner with the families from my son's daycare... I was on the go for eight hours straight.  Two years ago I could not have done that!

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/11 at 03:06:53

Hi Heather ,

I am pleased Wink I am glad you  had a good day Wink

many hugs
Josie

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #8 - 04/18/11 at 16:17:28

Hmmmm!  It's the talc then!   Try some kind of talcum powder Heather to see if you can pinpoint it.  It's never good to be with an unknown trigger for you never know when you may come in contact with it.  But once you know, then you can avoid it better.

See if you can get a pair of surgical rubber gloves and see how that goes.  It's like a balloon in that the material is latex but there's talc inside.  You may also want to see about a pair of non-latex surgical gloves.  Why?  Cause that too uses talc!!  this way you can see whether or not it's the latex or the talc cause if it's the talc, you'll react with both gloves!!!   This may be important for future surgical procedures!!!   Worth investigating anyway!!

Lisa

ps -  I'm REALLY glad you had a good day too!!   It's a victory that you could do so much and not get sick!!   A TREMENDOUS victory!!! Smiley

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #9 - 04/19/11 at 00:45:17

Your note about the talc got me curious...

Apparently, the problem is that when talc (or cornstarch) puffs out of things like gloves, balloons, etc... it carries tiny particles of latex.  In fact, the rise in latex allergies might be due to the increasing use of cornstarch instead of talc, which is lighter and stays in the air longer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9450142

I think I'll skip the experiments with balloons and gloves and just assume that I'm becoming sensitive to latex!  It seems like a bad idea to increase my exposure just to "make sure" that latex particles really are a problem... what if the experiment caused me to have an attack that was even worse than last time?  No thanks!  I know I'm not allergic to cornstarch... and talc doesn't have any proteins (it's a mineral), so it doesn't seem like a very likely allergen.

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/19/11 at 01:16:30

Hi Heather ,

On cornstarch , it is a trigger for me . I am not IGE allergic , but its a major avoid for me . It is used as a packer in many medictaions . I don't know if you have had problems with fillers ?

Just thought I would say Wink

Jose

IP Logged

Starflower
FORUM ADVISOR

Not a medical doctor
Indiana
Reply #11 - 04/19/11 at 01:24:47

Nope... I'm good with fillers, as long as it's not wheat starch.  I just had a bowl of cornflakes (mixed with quinoa and amaranth) for breakfast Cool

Heather

(Old Crow Medicine Show)

IP Logged

Josie
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/19/11 at 05:36:49

I am pleased Wink sulphites are my problem with corn flour Wink Jose

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 04/30/11 at 02:27:37

I have a latex allergy.  Found that out the hard way as I work in a lab and was wearing latex gloves.

Interestingly, some people with latex allergies also cross-react to kiwi, as they have similar proteins.

So if latex sets you off, you might want to stay away from kiwi too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print