Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's up with Masto Flares? (Read 6241 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: What's up with Masto Flares?
Reply #15 - 04/24/11 at 01:41:45

Thanks so much, yes this epipen administration issue is confusing.  Yes Deb, Akin told me to use the epi if I feel I am going to pass out also.

I do think one can die of cardiovascular collapse without throat closing. Serously, how can one self-administer epi if one has already passed out?

I have noticed now that I get this incredibly tired feeling right before it.  Taking Benedryl also makes me very tired.  So, my trouble is discerning "passing out" fatigue from low oxygen tension vs "Benedryl fatigue".  I have high metabolism, and feel drug effects within just 15 minutes or so of swallowing them.  I am a skinny little thing, so a little drug goes a long way with me.

I just can't seem to distinguish fatigue from passing out.  Hard to tell at times, and my blood pressure naturally runs low.

Also, I am supposed to get my gi exam in a couple of weeks, but I will be right in the middle of tapering down my steroids.  I am supposed to pre-medicate with more steroids right before (with a higher dose) right in the middle of my taper.  So the steroids will be going down, then up, then down.  Poor adrenals won't know what to make of it all.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: What's up with Masto Flares?
Reply #16 - 04/24/11 at 08:43:43

Hey Jilly, good question about the premedication with this situation of yours.   Yes, you should premedicate, most definitely!!   You're shocking too much to try to get by with this search without premedicating!   Yet, if you are tapering down, try to juggle the days you are tapering to coincide with your premedication.  If you need, skip the day before and take the prednisone only on the day of the exam this way you don't double up and yet you are medicated properly for the exam.  I've taken 20mg for the premedication protocols and this has done just fine with me.   But make sure your doctors are aware of this in that even though you are properly premedicated, that things can still happen.  They should have an anesthesiologist on call to attend you during the exam even if you haven't reacted in the past.  

Jilly, I'm probably one of those patients who is most reactive to invasive procedures and I will go through the prolonged syncope in spite of being properly medicated for these procedures - I'm one of those in the high-risk category for these things.   These protocols have protected me very well with these procedures and I depend heavily upon them!  Yet my experience has taught me that you should never presume too much with masto, especially if you are going through a phase of unusual activity.  Even though you may not have had any problems in the past, you can't be too safe.  Request an anesthesiologist to be present, please.  Take the proper meds and go into your exam feeling safe and secure, for you are, but you should have an anesthesiologist present as well.  This way, your doctors will feel safe as well and everybody.

Keep safe!!

Donīt forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print