Welcome, Guest. Please Login
MCD - Mast Cell Disorders
  YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What's up with Masto Flares? (Read 6240 times)
jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

What's up with Masto Flares?
04/16/11 at 05:16:52

Hello,

As I have been writing, I had flare up of my mastocytosis symptoms.  My docs are now attempting to help me shut this off by trying some new medications.

I had an anapylactic event, and got the tryptase test results back.  It was three times higher than my normal baseline (it was 60, I'm usually around 20).

As part of the workup, they also want me to  take a trip back to hematology.  Just wondering if I will have to get another BMB to check my mast cell load.  I have not had one in seven years.  I have been very stable up to this point, tryptase always ranging fro 15-20.  This is my first major flare up since I was diagnosed.

Just wondering what experiences the rest of you have had with flares?  Have then generally been transitory, or did this usually happen when you had more mast cell growth going on?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Re: What's up with Masto Flares?
Reply #1 - 04/16/11 at 05:38:51

Well, I don't think I'm much help here Jilly, since I've been in a 4 year "flare" since my masto came out of hiding!!!   Mine has only constantly gotten stronger and worse and we keep upping my meds trying to get ahead of it.  

Singulair has been a DEFINITE blessing in this aspect and helped me to gain some stability.  it brought my 1/week anaphylaxis down to 1 every 6 weeks!!  But I still struggle with syncope, and that's a form of anaphylaxis, but then, my body is still recovering from my surgery and all of that healing means that I have increased MC activity.  So, this is why I'm not a good one to ask.  

Are you on singulair, Jill?   When I've been without it for up to a week, I've become more reactive and even shocked due to the lack of it.  I would suggest that your doctors add it to your meds if you are not on it.

I do think that a BMB is needed after 7 years time.  Plus the fact you've had an increase in activity this could justify the need to take a peak for your health's sake.  A clear picture is what they need.   Although I suspect ti's all this added stress you've been under which is your major culprit here.   In adjusting those thing and upping your meds to helpt o settle things down I think you will regain that stability once again!!

Hugs!

Lisa

Don´t forget, there is so much more to life than being sick!

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/16/11 at 06:20:36

Thanks Lisa.  MY, you are a prophet!  The doc actually just gave me Singulair yesterday to try.  Yes, it did help some.  I started with just half a pill at first, as I am so med sensitive.  I was awake all night, but felt fine for the most part with just one breaththrough event around 4am.

If I get any worse, or have more attacks, I am supposed to go the the ER.

My docs are having a pow-wow on Monday about me.  I am doing collections now for prostaglandin and N-methylhistamine which they are sending out for analysis.

So, trying to get to the bottom of this and shut it off.

Mom is doing a little better today, talking more normal.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #3 - 04/17/11 at 06:01:39

You know what made me think Singulair, Jill?   HEATHER!!   For her to have such an important turn around due to adding Singulair an for me to have such an improvement as well, it's shown me how important this medicine is for our treatment.   My masto doctor didn't put me on this, but it was Dr. Castells instead.  Yet, I honestly think it's been the major player here even more so than the ketotifen in how I feel in that it makes me feel NORMAL and for me to shock while being off of it for only a week, this says something!!!   But for Heather to have her kidneys improve while being on it means that her anaphylaxis, like mine, and that it pinpoints the leukotreines as major culprits!!!   This is why I thought of it for you!!!

Are you taking it 2x a day?  This is how Castells has me on it and also what she did with Heather.  Heather's doctor even increased her doses to 30mg a day but I'm still at 20.  I could probably use going up another 10, but we're struggling to buy it as it is!!!

But for me it's become indispensable and I won't back down off of it for all the improvement it's given to me!!

I'm glad to hear your doctors are talking about you!!   Glad in the sense that they are taking your case very seriously.  Not glad for it means you're in trouble!!   I am sorry to hear that!!!  Obviously your shocks are dangerous enough that you've got them alarmed and that worries me for you!!!   Keep working with that Singulair, Jill, get it up to speed for I think it'll be just what you need to turn your situation around again.  But the issue here is why?  Why have you begun shocking again and what does it indicate?  This is what's worrying me!!!    Until they can rule things out Jilly, KEEP A LOW PROFILE!!   Weed out everything that is non-essencial and keep your physical activities low and restricted.  Try to cut the corners as much as you can so that you can help give your body a breather and get ahead of the triggering.  You don't want to self-feed it any more than necessary!!!

Hugs Sweety!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Joan
FORUM ADVISOR

Colorado
Reply #4 - 04/17/11 at 17:50:19

Hi Jill,

Flares do come and go.  I had a biggie (over 2 years), and am just now feeling better.  My symptoms were the worst at onset, 18 years ago, and then not too bad most of the time until 3 years ago.  I believe most mast cell experts agree that symptoms and severity of disease are NOT correlated.

Having your mother being this sick and possibly declining, is a stressor of the highest order.  It's good to do the testing and make sure everything is stable since you're having increased symptoms.  The other part, increasing meds so you can get through this, is also very important.  Forgive me if I already suggested lorazepam (Ativan) as a possible aid for this stressful time, but I've found it very helpful.  I just lost my Dad, and don't know how I would've gotten through it without that.

Hope your tests show you're stable.  It's very possible that your baseline tryptase is 15-20, but spikes during an episode.  That doesn't mean your disease is progressing.  Even though 60 is a high tryptase, there are many SM people around with tryptase in the hundreds.

Your doctors sound pretty enlightened, and they are doing the right things!  Lucky you!

Joan

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 04/21/11 at 11:52:56

Update on the masto flares.  Writing to you all from the hospital. Got several shock-like reactions in the past week, so into the hospital I landed!  Good thing too, it was just flaring way too much, and it wore me plain out.  I had started to lose weight, etc.

After increasing my antihistamines, adding some prednisone, and bumping up the Gastrcrom, it is slowly going DOWN a bit.  However, an investigation is underway.  Had a repeat bone marrow biopsy by the bedside yesterday (and it was not bad at all, the young doc KNEW how to do it,  most definitely!).  They are going to look at the cell numbers and do some molecular tests on them to try to see what it is that my cells are putting out and how many there are now.  Still waiting my results.  My tryptase has dropped luckily.

Anyway, trying to figure it all out right now.  Could use some prayers as I get the answers.

IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #6 - 04/21/11 at 12:01:52

HOLY COW, JILLY!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I am REALLY sorry to hear about this!!!   But I am glad to hear that they took the right step and hospitalized you to do a full workup and figure things out!!   I hope that the testing will come back showing that things are not as bad as you all are fearing it could be, but instead shows that things are really good instead!!  

I can't help but feel that it's all due to the stress you've been under and not that the disease has progressed.  Those triggers that you've been up against are really strong triggers and they can get you into that vicious cycle of triggering itself.   this is what I'm hoping is the reality and not a progression of the disease.  

Let us know how things go Jilly!   We're here praying for you!!

Ha! you and Josie should compare notes as to how the hospitals end up varying between the systems!!  

Not nice to have two of your girls in the hospital at once!!!   Really sorry to hear about it for the both of you!!   I'm glad Ramona's out!  We don't want an epidemic of masto patients flooding the hospitals now, do we?
Shocked

Hugs!
Kiss

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #7 - 04/21/11 at 18:23:13

Hi Sweety!

Jilli I think its something in the phone lines LOL we talk last week and end up in the hospital this week!  Smiley I just have to tease you, I want to picture you laughing.     Im glad youre on prednisone--the temporary healer of shocking LOL. Hon let them spoil you, REST and REST some more. I bet the people at work are thinking twice now about giving you any hard time.

Now, I think your stress level was the biggest factor here and also the "last straw" to shove you over the edge into the hospital.. but I also have a feeling there might be some physical changes that we arent seeing right now until you get lab reports totally back.. Im thinking you have some new triggers that werent there before... maybe some low levels of tsh or cortisol?? I want to know what they find out.

Im sending you HUGE hugs and LOTS of love. If you want me to call, just PM me  ok...

Love you Jillibean Smiley
Ramona

~~~Count  Your Blessings!~~~

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 04/22/11 at 07:27:18

So, now I shocked this morning again, but am being released from the hospital, because they really don't think it is life  threatening, and they really do need the hospital beds, etc.  Housed in a room where noise rules were never enforced, and nursing staff did not seemed too concerned about shocking, this may be a blessing for me to leave. No test results back yet.

So today, I will write something special for all my masto friends on what it REALLY feels like to have a disease, as opposed to just studying it.

See my entry:  Sorry for the Incovenience

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #9 - 04/22/11 at 10:28:41

Dear, Sweet Jilli,
I am HORRIFIED by how youve been treated.. absolutely and totally.. I insist you be on prednisone until you can calmly talk to your doctor and fill him in on everything. I hope you are on at least 20 mg a day for now. If you have ANY symptom of new shock, PLEASE PLEASE, go to a different hospital than where you were... IF you have no choice. then you need to ask for the Director of Nursing while in the ER and let her know why you are scared to trust them with your care.. You have that right!

Oh Sweety I am so heart sick about this Sad  I was in good hands--BUT I shoved my ER notebook in their faces, asked them if they were truly able to understand the disease to protect and care for me and told them in no uncertain terms, which medical staff I would not allow to touch  me with a 10 foot pole.

The hospital admin where I was, watched over my care and it made a HUGE difference. We cant let this negligence ignorance decide the course of our wellness. Be a LOUD, squeaky wheel. If that doesnt make a difference, that hospital should be labled unsafe and shunned by masto patients.

At this moment I am worried on a second by second basis for you!! Please tell me you have prednisone, PLEASE call your regular doctor and insist he call it in for you, if you dont have at least a weeks worth of the med.

You have to call a quick halt to this progression, it wont stop on its own Hon. I know youre upset and scared but now I want you to get angry. That it the safest attitude to nourish until this has passed.

CALL ME anytime.. Im here Hon, Im worried and I will do whatever you need.

HUGE love
Ramona

IP Logged

jbean
Mentor

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 04/23/11 at 09:24:47

Hi Ramona,

They did send me home with prednisone script.  I am supposed to begin tapering now.

My tryptase did some significant spikes, that is pretty interesting.  They did keep ordering the tryptase throughout the process, which goes a long way to illustrate just what goes on with this disease.

I run at a baseline of 20.  During the shocking, it went up to 49 (for those of you higher than that, you are my idols, as I can not imagine it coping with it higher than that!).  Then, after some meds, just three days later, now I am at 14!  I am almost at a normal level.  Never been that low before.  So we are all going "what the heck?".  So, it seems that I blow off with real style, and the switch flips, and it shuts off.  Seems like my changes are pretty rapid, hence the reason I feel so AWFUL when it happens.

So now I am trying to figure out what is medication side effect and what is masto.  They think my mediators are causing me neurological symptoms.

Now I am on

Gastrcrom 200 mg, 3 X daily
Prednisone, 20 mg, been on it a 10 days, now starting to taper down
Randine , 2X daily
Loartidine, 5 mg morning, 10 mg at night
Benedryl as needed (4-6 hrs) for shock symptoms

I totally could NOT tolerate other antihistamines, like Allegra and Zyrtec, made me feel absolutly horrible, even worse.  I tried Sinculair, same thing, made me feel tons worse, could not tolerate it.

The reaction seems to initiate at the gastrointestinal tract, can actually feel flushing from there that radiates outwared to my arms and legs, like a warm wave that moves fast when it hits.  Sometimes, if I hit it with GI meds first, it shuts it off before it gets bad.  I feel this warm rush, then feel like I have to go to the bathroom, a little nausea, and then this HORRID sensation of my skin burning, really strong, on the arms and legs.

I get it most at night, just out of waking from sleep.  This is very interesting to me as I used to work in sleep research.  It seems to be associated with my sleep cycle somehow, maybe some kind of cirdadian thing going on.

Anyway, the docs told me they actually thought I got my medicine better and faster to myself than waiting for the nurse to answer my call light, so they thought I'd be better at home.  Problem is, I live by myself, so it gets pretty scarey.  I have to figure out what to do about that.

I am having huge questions about giving the epipen.  So far, have not gotten airway closure,  I just go tachycardic, hyotensive, and pass out.  I was told different things:  (1) Give epipen if you are feeling faint (2) Only give epipen if you have airway closure.

So, what's the deal?  Now, since I am very medication sensitive, and tachycardic when it hits, epi might through somebody like me into arrythmia, on the other hand, if I pass out and my airway shuts, then how will I get a pen in me? I will have to get more guidance on this subtle, but very important point. 

Judging from my reactions thus far, things go up and down quickly.  For me, the whole thing is over in 15 -30 minutes.  Once I blow off, then I get this crazy muscle shaking that lasts 15 minutes or so, feel cold, and then its all done.

I am awaiting my bone marrow tests.  The group doing it is a really good hem/0nc group with new cutting edge testing at their disposal.  They want to pull out the mast cells, then do some molecular analysis to see what is genetically upregulated.  They want to know just what it is that my cells are putting out, and use that to help guide the meds.  I also got the urine collection during that time period.  So this is being examined at multiple levels.  They are trying to determine if this is just a flare up, or if I now have more mast cell proliferation, and if so, what % of the marrow?  I am also going to have upper and lower endoscopy to figure out if there is more extensive mast cell involvment in the gi, as symptoms seem to initiate there.  As of three years ago, I did not.  They want to know if that has changed.

So that's where it is at right now.  But all the meds and mast cell mediators are giving me a lot of awful symptoms and sensations.  Like today, I felt low blood pressure in my neck, ears ringing, etc.  Then, it sort of subsided.  Comes and goes.  So does the "burning skin" sensation.  I just totally hate how I feel right now, creeps me out.  Sometimes, I feel like I am about to drop dead.  It's always been like that with me though.  I don't get it often, but when I do, it's a major blow out.

I've already lost eight pounds in the last couple of weeks.  I am working hard on keeping my weight stable and hydrating.  Supplementing my bland diet with Pedialyte, lots of water, and Ensure.

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #11 - 04/23/11 at 11:11:47

OK I feel better now. Youre making the right decisions. I know you know more about this than I do Hon, but when you are that close to it, sometimes its hard to see the forest for the trees.

You react alot like I do.. Just dont think that each episode or reaction will be the same. I would say this about the epi.. IF you feel you might pass out, thats the time to use your epi pen--then call 911 immediately.

I now carry 60 mg of prednisone on me for use in that same scenario.. If I feel like Im "going down", I take 40 to 60 mg of prednisone, 50 mg of benadryl and 1 xanax to relax and not totally panic.  If I feel like Im passing out, I take the epi pen then.

A Few questions, what strength on the zantac?? 300 mg each dose?? I would start there for one. How about trying vistaril?? I know its sedating for a lot of peole but I only take 25 mg twice a day. You could take it at night..OHH try to take your prednisone in the AM--side effect of insomnia thats why, it will wear off in enough time for you to sleep better.

Hon I know youre brilliant.. I think you just forgot--histamines levels are highest at 2 am to 3 am, thats why the sudden reactions are worse at night. Thats means you arent  medicated enough before you go to sleep.

That SingularZ?? Did you try it at the same time you tried the allegra?? I cant take allegra and I know you reacted to it too.. but I adore singular... wait til all this stuff has passed to try it again (IF you want to). IF you do take it again,  (after you are more stable) Try it in the morning cause it will give you more energy during the day.

About the prednisone, please stay on 20 mg a day, dont start to taper UNTIL your reactions stop.. ask your DR about that ok?? And a new script for emergency prednisone.  Tapering off after that wont be too hard. Your body adrenals naturally make 5 to 10 mg a day, so it will be easy to drop 5 mg, stay on that for 3 days, drop another 5 mg, stay on that for 3 days, then stop since you will be at normal body levels again.

Im VERY happy that they ran the right tests... and I would remind them that a rise like that in tryptase confirms anaphylaxis occurred... it wasnt your imagination, its fact. Also the way you go hypotension with syncopy--I do that and I completely bypass throat constricture or tongue swelling--but I go into cardio vascular collapse. I think that is what you are doing too.

I also agree that you need to take (and hide) your meds with you when going to the hopital. You cant rely on their timing. Lisa and I do it too LOL.. just do NOT let the medical staff know you have it on you.

Also please go back to your diet--and rerread all ingredients . I think you have some new food triggers that you arent aware of yet.

OK enough from me.. I will calm down now and trust you are ok.. but call me--or someone else.. if you start reacting again... You are too precious to risk losing Smiley

Love you
Ramona

IP Logged

Riverwn
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #12 - 04/23/11 at 11:38:40

OK 2 more suggestions... how about Prilosec for one month to stop the bile production and help calm your tummy?? Also when I react, I take one extra 300 mg zantac (They would give it to you IV in the ER anyway).. and it helps Smiley
Love you
Ramona

IP Logged

DeborahW, Founder
FOUNDER/ADMIN

USA
Reply #13 - 04/23/11 at 16:17:41

Jill,
Dr.Akin told me to use an epi pen if I felt I as about to pass out. So, there is word from one authority....

Feel well!
DeborahW, founder
IP Logged

Lisa
FORUM MODERATOR/ADVISOR

I am not a doctor.
Volta Redonda, RJ Brazil
Reply #14 - 04/24/11 at 00:34:15

Hey Jilly, I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time right now!  Gosh I wish I had some way to help you!!!   I can understand why you were released, some of us really don't go through the really horrible, life threatening episodes and it's not like we're IgE mediated anaphylaxis.  We have the "POTENTIAL" of having bad reactions, but it's not always our situations.  Mine can get bad, but the majority of them are manageable with my antihistamines.  I'm forever going through syncope here at home and the only time I really need hospitalization is when I have some kind of medical procedure which is the trigger behind the reaction - that's when the potential for vascular collapse is worst.  

Yet, YES, you should be using your epi when your pressure drops with these situations.  Dr. Escribano's protocols also indicate this usage.  

As to the medications while in the hospital.  I had trouble with this and the nurses and other doctors didn't like that I had my own stash cause they didn't like that they couldn't control it!!  But I did have it and it was with my doctor's full knowledge and instructions to use it when i really had no other choice.   At first I didn't use it, just to see how things would be and they realized that it was true, they couldn't get it to me in time!   Then they didn't gripe with me so much when I had to use it and then inform them for they saw that it was lightening fast and that I'd have been in trouble had I waited upon their system!!!   Got to the point where the girls were saying, Lisa, where are your meds??!!!

We masto patients MUST INSIST on having access to our own meds while in hosptial because there is too much to make us nervous and anxious while hospitalized and this only makes us prone to triggering!!!!   I'm a firm believer of medicine to help make us sleep at night and also a QUIET atmosphere as well as meds at our bedside!!!   I wont'do it any other way again!!

I hope you're better!!!

Lisa

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print